Wall hammer not happy

Lukeva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

my tank is 8 weeks old all parameters in check, only slight concerns is PO4 not registering and NO3 1ppm but have some algae. 50g total system.

I brought a wall hammer just over a week ago and left it on the sand but Sunday morning I moved it and expoy’d it to a rock a few inches above the sand so flow not changed much and can’t imagine light has much. It isn’t a powerful light anyhow, just a Fluvalsea 32w I think.

the polyps are not inflating very well since I moved it and I think I might have over handled it. Is there anything I can do to help it? Also the skeleton is showing and has brown marks.

i can’t move it now as it is glued. Do you think it is dying or just ticked off?

thanks

Luke

7EDB961C-604B-4DB0-93DB-40CA8E8217BB.jpeg 2D257119-11D7-4694-B7FB-42738F09FA9E.jpeg 7F840D8B-A36E-45A6-A37A-42B6FDB19534.jpeg C5B81BC5-84EC-49F4-A1F6-683EA0EE31F3.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a solution for you. However the glue never sticks well and can be removed easily for future reference.

OP
OP
L

Lukeva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a solution for you. However the glue never sticks well and can be removed easily for future reference.
Ok cool so if it’s a goner a can remove it from the rock at least...

OP
OP
L

Lukeva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your talking about a small small amount of people, this hammer is and is going die and there is nothing you can tell him to do that is gonna save it. I am not being mean but it just the truth.
So if the polys deflate that’s it, it’s definitely going to die?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah polys still there and it inflated this morning but not as much as before and has shrunk down again. Anything I can do, target feed maybe?
Wait for others to chime in. Post your current parameters, lights and schedule for them.

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the polys deflate that’s it, it’s definitely going to die?
Once euphyilla are in this condition for more than a week or so the chance of survival is very very love (not impossible) but very unlikely. I have had and currently have A LOT of Euphyilla, and I have a lot of experience keeping them. You can begin with iodine and chemi clean based dips and place in a low flow area but still the chance is unlikely. Best of luck, hope I am wrong!

OP
OP
L

Lukeva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait for others to chime in. Post your current parameters, lights and schedule for them.
Alk 8dkh
Calcium 450
Magnesium 1350
No3 1ppm
PO4 not registering

light is a Fluval Sea 32w
10% water change weekly
Tank is 8 weeks old with 2 clowns, 2 Cardinals, a gramma and a middas blenny feeding mysis twice daily and a bit of flake. Other corals seem fine.

mom sure it’s me handling it that’s upset it. Not the water

OP
OP
L

Lukeva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once euphyilla are in this condition for more than a week or so the chance of survival is very very love (not impossible) but very unlikely. I have had and currently have A LOT of Euphyilla, and I have a lot of experience keeping them. You can begin with iodine and chemi clean based dips and place in a low flow area but still the chance is unlikely. Best of luck, hope I am wrong!
It’s only been a day, all I did was move it a few inches! Thanks though

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my wall hammer it was a slow deterioration with the polyps extending less and less every day for a few weeks. Then it succumbed to brown jelly disease.
There are some things that can be done, but as a whole, wall hammers don’t do very well in aquariums.
FWIW, they prefer lower flow, medium to low light, and being on the sandbed.

For only a day like this it could just be upset after being moved. Give it some time.

OP
OP
L

Lukeva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my wall hammer it was a slow deterioration with the polyps extending less and less every day for a few weeks. Then it succumbed to brown jelly disease.
There are some things that can be done, but as a whole, wall hammers don’t do very well in aquariums.
FWIW, they prefer lower flow, medium to low light, and being on the sandbed.

For only a day like this it could just be upset after being moved. Give it some time.
I’m new to the hobby and have since learnt of the difference and would have left it alone if I knew it wasn’t branching

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s not dead or dying but rather receding.
Assure you’re providing moderate light and water flow. If the coral is bent over, too much flow.
Additionally, what test kits are you using?
Temp 77/79
Alk 8-10
Mag 1300
Ca 440
Nitrate < .5
Salinity 1,025

location also important. No where near sand is best.
Will add more later. Departing very soon and our jet has useless WiFi. A few things for you to verify in the mean time

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What vetteguy said!

Also, your tank is only 8 weeks old and that's likely part of the challenge. It's hard to keep stable parameters in such a young tank. Take it from me... been there, done it and lost more than my fair share of coral. Stability is the key for hammers and IME, they don't tolerate swings or low nutrients well. They prefer a little "dirtier water", so that may be contributing as well.

I've had wall and branching hammers, and I agree with other posts, walls are more difficult to keep. Not impossible...
Had a massive bi-color wall hammer for 5 months until my WAVs went haywire...

unnamed.jpg

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wall hammers are notoriously difficult, especially in such a young tank, it didn’t stand a chance. Nothing you can do at this point as that is why wall hammers are bad buts. One it’s goes the whole thing goes...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back