Wallet friendly magnet cleaner for large glass tanks

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since everything in this hobby is expensive, I wanted to share a small money saving tip. I have a new 240 gallon and in a pinch I tried the magnet that’s currently in my 90 gallon (not thinking it would work very well). WRONG! This little $35 Hygger (medium size) magnet performed flawlessly! If anyone is shopping for a magnet cleaner, this one is awesome and handled the thick glass without skipping a beat.
5EB29203-CE5B-4DC5-BF12-E5415FC4AD22.jpeg

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually a big fan of the flipper magnetic scrappers! Worth it in my opinion!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very much like a knock off version of the Algea Free magnet cleaners. I have and absolutely love the Algea Free ones but they are not budget.

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tunze cleaner. I purchased it for 75g and now I am using it on 240g peninsula - 3 sides, 18feet of glass in total.

PROS:
  • I paid $35 on Amazon (a year ago, price may have changed)
  • spare blade and some other parts included
  • quite effective and very easy to use
  • I keep it in the tank 24/7. Internal part is full of gunk like algae, coraline etc but it doesn't affect operation at all
  • I cleaned the blade only once in 12months (I didn't need to but I was cleaning other equipment so why not)
  • Internal part has low profile, doesn't touch rocks etc
  • rounded shape is save for corners
CONS:
  • fleace material which is responsible for smooth operation (like lubricant) wears after few months
  • handle is thin and if you have a lot of glass to clean it is a workout. It is like to pinch it very hard and move with friction
  • quite difficult to clean corners, precise and slow moves are not possible. Internal part "jumps" which makes me nervous, I don't want to touch silicone
1619113611698.png

Amazing, cheap cleaner but right now I am looking something bigger with bigger handle. And maybe floating. I was thinking about flipper but the biggest option is almost $100 which is come on... for a magnet and a blade?
Hygger looks nice but it is little bit too small :/ I may just a retrofit a handle to Tunze glue add some floating parts to internal part. Another DIY project? :)

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tunze cleaner. I purchased it for 75g and now I am using it on 240g peninsula - 3 sides, 18feet of glass in total.

PROS:
  • I paid $35 on Amazon (a year ago, price may have changed)
  • spare blade and some other parts included
  • quite effective and very easy to use
  • I keep it in the tank 24/7. Internal part is full of gunk like algae, coraline etc but it doesn't affect operation at all
  • I cleaned the blade only once in 12months (I didn't need to but I was cleaning other equipment so why not)
  • Internal part has low profile, doesn't touch rocks etc
  • rounded shape is save for corners
CONS:
  • fleace material which is responsible for smooth operation (like lubricant) wears after few months
  • handle is thin and if you have a lot of glass to clean it is a workout. It is like to pinch it very hard and move with friction
  • quite difficult to clean corners, precise and slow moves are not possible. Internal part "jumps" which makes me nervous, I don't want to touch silicone
1619113611698.png

Amazing, cheap cleaner but right now I am looking something bigger with bigger handle. And maybe floating. I was thinking about flipper but the biggest option is almost $100 which is come on... for a magnet and a blade?
Hygger looks nice but it is little bit too small :/ I may just a retrofit a handle to Tunze glue add some floating parts to internal part. Another DIY project? :)
Ive considered a DIY magnet too...keep me posted

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually a big fan of the flipper magnetic scrappers! Worth it in my opinion!

Any idea if these are good on curved glass? I’m hoping to find something that can navigate the corners of a biocube.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since everything in this hobby is expensive, I wanted to share a small money saving tip. I have a new 240 gallon and in a pinch I tried the magnet that’s currently in my 90 gallon (not thinking it would work very well). WRONG! This little $35 Hygger (medium size) magnet performed flawlessly! If anyone is shopping for a magnet cleaner, this one is awesome and handled the thick glass without skipping a beat
I bought this today and it wasn’t really that great. To be honest, looking at the material that would be inside the tank made me lose hope before I bought it, but figured I’d give it a try. Not sure if I’m sold on magnet cleaners over the magic eraser yet. I like the idea of being able to clean my glass quicker. Is the material on the magnet cleaner you’re using the same as the pic I attached?

Attachments

• 3FD179DA-100F-49F5-954A-A209CE0EF15C.jpeg
    3FD179DA-100F-49F5-954A-A209CE0EF15C.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 54

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back