Wallets empty, wife's angry, and I'm in over my head!

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol he might be mad at your wife but any way what variation is dick the digi ?

love that bright orange im thinking of trying out some sps for the first time when i get my 29 up and running getting tired of running my tiny 5 gal.

I'm not positive. When I got it I was told it was a bubblegum Digi, but that doesn't match what I see in a Google search. It's actually a bright pink in person.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was browsing through my thread history and thought this one could use an update. Almost 2 years since the first post. I've upgraded the lights, switched from Kalk to carbocalcium, and added a few frags. oh and the tank was completly torn down and reassembled to have new floors installed.

Nov 2019
IMG_20191228_140344 (1).jpg

Nov 2020
PXL_20201130_031542044.jpg

Sept 2021
PXL_20210928_024419631.jpg

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good maybe you have to be the Craigslist guy now full circle! Once you make the 100 back tell your wife told you so and spend it on something reef related lol.
Absolutely, I've sold/given away as many frags as I can. The problem is I've only found 3 it 4 other reefers within an hour of me. If I want to trade them in to an LFS I have to drive over 3 hours.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, I've sold/given away as many frags as I can. The problem is I've only found 3 it 4 other reefers within an hour of me. If I want to trade them in to an LFS I have to drive over 3 hours.
Good day trip. Show up with a lot of frags and use store credit to upgrade tanks.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww I feel bad complaining about not enough stores around me when there's 15 within an hour and a half and 5 within 30 minutes.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add some more flow in the tank those corals should grow tighter formations and that might help you with space to a degree. Also they would probably grow less curvy and the tort will love you for it. Or if your having trouble getting more flow in the tank, add another powerhead and make sure they are set to a good random flow. Love the progression of the frags thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add some more flow in the tank those corals should grow tighter formations and that might help you with space to a degree. Also they would probably grow less curvy and the tort will love you for it. Or if your having trouble getting more flow in the tank, add another powerhead and make sure they are set to a good random flow. Love the progression of the frags thanks for sharing.
That's a good idea. I hadn't looked much at my flow in a while and it is being slowed a lot by the grow out. I'll have to look at my options.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember this thread, particularly because of the generosity of the guy the OP connected with on Craigs List.

I’m happy to see the progression. This is great!

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember this thread, particularly because of the generosity of the guy the OP connected with on Craigs List.

I’m happy to see the progression. This is great!
I'm glad you enjoy it. My favorite threads are the ones that span years and show the progress for beginning to mature reef. I never thought I would have one of those tanks but I decided that I would try to make periodic updates win or loose.

This thread is special to me because I really felt like I was in over my head when I started it. I want people to see that it really is possible and not very difficult to have a thriving reef tank.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the flow aspect, since you have so many corals that are going to be large quickly, if it was me I would look at getting a small wavebox. They are amazing at keeping detritus off of corals and keeping good even growth form. Both are very important when corals get large in a small tank. If the water level is too high for actual wave movement try and lower your flow through the sump to lower your water level. Some might say that’s a bad idea but I have seen really amazing systems that have low flow through the sump.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the flow aspect, since you have so many corals that are going to be large quickly, if it was me I would look at getting a small wavebox. They are amazing at keeping detritus off of corals and keeping good even growth form. Both are very important when corals get large in a small tank. If the water level is too high for actual wave movement try and lower your flow through the sump to lower your water level. Some might say that’s a bad idea but I have seen really amazing systems that have low flow through the sump.
Semi-related question.

Are there any tiny wave boxes available (as in smaller than the smaller Tunze)?

I tried but ultimately was unable to create a wave using a Nero 5 or a Vortech, and have limited space so a traditional wave box isn’t viable for me).

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just spent the last half hour or so reading through your thread. I love it. I could tell you were kina freaking out there in the beginning, but you really **** your stride, and the tank is awesome!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Semi-related question.

Are there any tiny wave boxes available (as in smaller than the smaller Tunze)?

I tried but ultimately was unable to create a wave using a Nero 5 or a Vortech, and have limited space so a traditional wave box isn’t viable for me).

The tunze nano is the smallest I have seen and wouldn’t buy anything else unless I made it myself. If you have space (even if you had to make it by moving a rock or two) behind your overflow box in the back corner it would really not be too noticeable imo. I dont think anything smaller would be very effective but you could check the diy stuff, which I haven’t. There is a reason all the old school guys love the wave boxes.
In reality though, the wave action isn’t really needed, but nothing can compare to the back and fourth of the whole water column. I do think just adding another powerhead would be fine as long as it’s got a nice wide flow pattern. I do like the puck style pumps for smaller tanks a lot.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a jebao scp-70 gyre. It should fit in the right side to replace my smaller wavemaker.

My current flow setup has 2 jebao wave makers on opposite corners of the tank pointed up about 30 degrees to send the flow across the top like a gyre. They alternate every 30 seconds and this is enough to get the whole tank moving one way before it switches and goes the opposite direction. It's simple but very effective.

The jebao on the right is a smaller model though and it can't push enough water anymore to overcome the drag, it still gets the water moving but it is a very gentle current. The one on the left is a size up and having it on medium gets it's half of the job done.
just spent the last half hour or so reading through your thread. I love it. I could tell you were kina freaking out there in the beginning, but you really **** your stride, and the tank is awesome!
Thanks!

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze nano is the smallest I have seen and wouldn’t buy anything else unless I made it myself. If you have space (even if you had to make it by moving a rock or two) behind your overflow box in the back corner it would really not be too noticeable imo. I dont think anything smaller would be very effective but you could check the diy stuff, which I haven’t. There is a reason all the old school guys love the wave boxes.
In reality though, the wave action isn’t really needed, but nothing can compare to the back and fourth of the whole water column. I do think just adding another powerhead would be fine as long as it’s got a nice wide flow pattern. I do like the puck style pumps for smaller tanks a lot.
Thanks. I e-mailed Roger to order the smaller one (Tunze 6208). I had the larger model years ago. Am I going to encounter issues with my overflow in terms of noise? I don’t recall having issues with the one I had.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is talked the Jebao gyre last night and it moves a ton of water. The nearest acri is getting blasted and I might need to frag the top off. The old little jebao got moved to the back of the tank to act as a random 3rd element.

PXL_20220810_140251627~2.jpg

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I've been trying to give extra coral away on Facebook and Craig's list for months now with no takers. A few weeks ago the birdsnest started looking sad and I decided I was going to do a lot of trimming anyway. Round one is the huge pile of loose anacropora on my sand bed.

Before
PXL_20221112_230649973.jpg

After
PXL_20221112_231655104.jpg

Bucket of frags going in the garbage.
PXL_20221112_231705728.jpg

I struggled so much with this, seems like a capitol sin to throw away good coral. In the end though the nearest LFS that will take it is 3 hours away and I've given frags to everyone in town who wants it. I still have a lot in the tank and I can always break off more frags if someone wants some.

Next on the chopping block is the huge birdsnest In the middle. But I think I'll wait a week while I watch parameters to see if this is going to throw off the tank.

Back