Walt Smith Fuji Live Rock is Coming

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an Email from an Online Fish Store, Live Rock and Reef who I ordered REAL live rock from in the past and it was the real deal.
So now this is a Walt Smith cultured rock from Fuji ? Or cured in the Caribbean ? Anyway just thought to post for those that are starting new systems.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an Email from an Online Fish Store, Live Rock and Reef who I ordered REAL live rock from in the past and it was the real deal.
So now this is a Walt Smith cultured rock from Fuji ? Or cured in the Caribbean ? Anyway just thought to post for those that are starting new systems.

Great find!!, Siggy

I'd rather have the Walt Smith Figi cultured live rock than the Caribbean.

The last batch of Caribbean cultured that I bought had "six" mantis shrimp within it... ;Sour
Their clicking sounds haunted me for months after we finally got the last one.

Lol
They were burning threw our cleanup crew like butter.

If I'll started a build today, that would be the rock of preference, in my case.

Thanks again!!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would order from these guys vs liverocknreef. I have never been impressed with there stuff.

I hear only good things about livestockusa but have never ordered from them.

Walt has been shipping this rock for a while. Sounds like it might be limited though and it is ok to sell of what he had before the closure. Who knows though..

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not actually wild liverock just to clear the air. It's man-made and left out in the ocean. For a year or two. Very nice quality tho

yup I was going to say the same. even better tho give ppl a job. and let it cure in the ocean for a while win win + you are not taking real LR from the ocean boune WIN!

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Watch that video carefully

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the video it seems this rock spends a significant amount of time out of the water, resulting in massive die off right from the time of harvest. I highly doubt the porosity of a concrete based rock with a bit of shell and sand.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't these companies use something like Marco, which is way better than Walt Smith concrete products?

I'd rather have the Walt Smith Figi cultured live rock than the Caribbean.
Jeeperz You may be missing the Point of the LIVE part of Live Rock. Yes I agree about the concrete part of it, but that purple
stuff that people are using today is the same stuff and even then The piece of shelf rock I tried I don't think had any LR content.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why don't these companies use something like Marco, which is way better than Walt Smith concrete products?

Actually most Florida Aquacultured rock is similar to marco and most of the newer stuff is the same.

Tampa Bay saltwater 2.0 rock is actually some of Walts rock that they dropped in the ocean and allot of people feel Walt's man made rock is actually better. It seems to attract life more than other dry rock in the ocean and also seems to have more interesting shapes.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like bashing products, so please don't take this as bashing an individual manufacturer or supplier. Just a detailed review of the same product bought from a different supplier. I post this in hopes of preventing others from the same disappointment as I had.

The "rock" is concrete, dyed purple. Its completely non porous. I am fairly certain that a standard building brick has higher porosity.

The surface life all died within a week for me, despite very expensive overnight shipping from the supplier, daily water changes, and holding with circulation and aeration.

I am left with chunks of purple concrete. I would not buy again under any circumstances. If you care about the porosity of the rock at all, I recommend caution in buying this kind of product. I wish suppliers would start with high quality rock (not mined or manmade - coral skeletons) instead of this lipstick on a pig :(

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish suppliers would start with high quality rock (not mined or manmade - coral skeletons) instead of this lipstick on a pig :(
Maybe we should call the old stuff we used to be able to get REEF ROCK because you cannot get it no more. Its either mined rock or a manufactured product. I still look for dead rock, if I see any nice pieces i grab it and tuck it in the garage attic. Live rock is too generic nowadays. JMO

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emeyer try the KP rock once and see if it doesn't fit your needs. Its light and very porous

7Crystaline (2).JPG

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have walt smith fiji rock that is 14+ years old. It is multitudes more porous than that mined marco rock garbage everyone is forced to buy now. Maybe the newer stuff is lower quality?

Not to mention, you are asking why Walt Smith doesn't ship quarried marco rock from Florida all the way to Fiji..... instead of having locals just make the rock themselves in Fiji? Did you think about that question before typing it out?

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WVNed Just got a boat load of Caribbean rock for his 10' tank. It was real nice, still is too. Those days of Pacific rock are over but this WSI stuff will be the closest if that's what you want.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back