Walt Smith Fuji Live Rock is Coming

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some pretty scathing reviews of the walt smith concrete, obviously some people have had success or it would not be around. If you look around this and other forums I think you'll find a higher % of people who are happy with the Caribbean rock. You're also gonna get more die off with walt smith since it has to travel further/takes more time in transit. Of course hitchhikers are possible with either.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have walt smith fiji rock that is 14+ years old. It is multitudes more porous than that mined marco rock garbage everyone is forced to buy now. Maybe the newer stuff is lower quality?

Not to mention, you are asking why Walt Smith doesn't ship quarried marco rock from Florida all the way to Fiji..... instead of having locals just make the rock themselves in Fiji? Did you think about that question before typing it out?
If you have Walt's 14 year old Fiji way to go, it's still non porous concrete. I'm sure the Marco quarries in Florida are not the only extinct reefs in the world. Did YOU think about that before you typed it out? See emeyers response.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Walt's 14 year old Fiji way to go, it's still non porous concrete. I'm sure the Marco quarries in Florida are not the only extinct reefs in the world. Did YOU think about that before you typed it out? See emeyers response.

I wonder if Fiji mined rock, dry pukani, etc, etc dropped in the ocean for several years would in fact look exactly like wild harvested rock....which is illegal. That could open up an avenue for bad players to pass off illegal wild rock as "aquacultured" wild rock. With a concrete product as some have pointed out you could tell by color and consistancy.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not heard many complaints about Walts rock.

Mater of fact like I said TBS is using some of Walts rock for theirs.
TBS has Puakni, Walts and the same stuff as Marco.

Here is a thread from someone respected in the hobby.. This is Walts rock dropped in Florida and not Fiji.. Same rock from a different location From TBS.

Here is some of the Fiji Rock from Walt.

Last edited:

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Concrete is porous by nature. It's also multitudes less dense than the quarried marco crap that they've transitioned to the last 4-5 years.

Edit: Furthermore, for one single bad review I can show you 100+ positives. You cannot tell porosity of rock by simply looking at it, it requires rather extensive testing. BRS did it themselves a while ago, check out that video and you'll see how a cursory glance at a chipped off piece of rock and calling it "non-porous" is borderline laughable.

Old Marco is a different story much better quality, the new stuff looks like the crap people line their driveways with in Florida.

If opening rock quarries in the middle of the indo pacific made sense, it would have been done already. It doesn't, and they haven't.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It all works so why does it matter.
If someone like Marco rock who cares.
If someone like gulf aqaucultured rock who cares.
If someone likes Caribsea life rock who cares.
If some one like Real Reef rock who cars.
If someone likes Walts Smith live rock or dry rock who cares.

People have been successful with it all.

Take the trolling to Facebook.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all works so why does it matter.
If someone like Marco rock who cares.
If someone like gulf aqaucultured rock who cares.
If someone likes Caribsea life rock who cares.
If some one like Real Reef rock who cars.
If someone likes Walts Smith live rock or dry rock who cares.

People have been successful with it all.

Take the trolling to Facebook.

Welcome to online forums, where people like discussing varying opinions and reviews of products. If someone not like something, and voicing their opinion on it publicly, isn't your cup of tea..... maybe you should be the one to bow out?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to online forums, where people like discussing varying opinions and reviews of products. If someone not like something, and voicing their opinion on it publicly, isn't your cup of tea..... maybe you should be the one to bow out?

I have been on the forums longer than most. Nothing is wrong with debating but lately it isnt debating some people are just being rude. Some people are trying to shove their ideas down others throat and not respecting other opinions.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concrete is porous by nature. It's also multitudes less dense than the quarried marco crap that they've transitioned to the last 4-5 years.

Edit: Furthermore, for one single bad review I can show you 100+ positives. You cannot tell porosity of rock by simply looking at it, it requires rather extensive testing. BRS did it themselves a while ago, check out that video and you'll see how a cursory glance at a chipped off piece of rock and calling it "non-porous" is borderline laughable.

Old Marco is a different story much better quality, the new stuff looks like the crap people line their driveways with in Florida.

If opening rock quarries in the middle of the indo pacific made sense, it would have been done already. It doesn't, and they haven't.
Can you post link please

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For whatever its worth, I wouldnt presume to criticize the rock in your tank which I have not seen. It may be great, it sounds like you are happy with it. I suspect if you've had it that long it was part of a different batch, right? The stuff I bought (about a year ago) was advertised as part of what appears to be the same batch discussed here (purple manmade rock cultured for 2-3 years in Fiji).

You make a fair point about the importance of measurements. I'll make some density measurements later and see if I was jumping to conclusions about the porosity of this material. Itd be interesting to have numbers.

In fairness the surface life on what I bought was probably the prettiest I've seen on any live rock, ever. Sadly it all died quickly after arrival. And the rock did establish a functional biofilter within a couple weeks. So what I bought was definitely better than dry rock from that perspective.

I can't make sweeping statements about all the many different kinds of live rock out there, but if this is the same stuff as what I bought, I think the very high density / low porosity of this material relative to real live rock (coral skeletons) was worth making other buyers aware of.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an Email from an Online Fish Store, Live Rock and Reef who I ordered REAL live rock from in the past and it was the real deal.
So now this is a Walt Smith cultured rock from Fuji ? Or cured in the Caribbean ? Anyway just thought to post for those that are starting new systems.

The box is pre-opened the guy in the video only pretends to open the box with his razor knife. Make of that what you will about honesty etc.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever its worth, I wouldnt presume to criticize the rock in your tank which I have not seen. It may be great, it sounds like you are happy with it. I suspect if you've had it that long it was part of a different batch, right? The stuff I bought (about a year ago) was advertised as part of what appears to be the same batch discussed here (purple manmade rock cultured for 2-3 years in Fiji).

You make a fair point about the importance of measurements. I'll make some density measurements later and see if I was jumping to conclusions about the porosity of this material. Itd be interesting to have numbers.

In my original post I mentioned the rock I have is 14+ years old. However, aside from the coloring the same process is used to make it. Walts been doing it that way forever.

I've been in the hobby for a very long time. The only way you are ever getting "real" live rock now (similar to fiji pukani that was excavated off an actual reef), is to find someone who's breaking an old tank down. You cannot buy it otherwise, and the quarried marco rock places like TBS just toss in the bay and then sell as live rock is not even remotely close to the same quality. Porosity/Density specifically speaking.

Marco WAS getting actual ocean rock, and selling it dry for a long time. BRS did the same. It was amazing quality, I still have some of this rock as well. "Eyeballing it" with the new marco I bought in February to try, the old stuff is easily 1/2 as dense if not more. The weight difference is incredible.

The Walt Smith rock, to me feels about on par with the old marco and brs rock that no longer exists. Again, I have older batch of rock but the recipe should not have really changed. Pretty sure the only thing he changed up was the paint they use on the outside, that seems to be the way most of the higher end man made rock is going. Mine did not have any paint on it when I get it.

If I wanted the closest thing to live rock right now, I would go with Walt Smith. However, I would not ever buy "live rock" that is sold now a days. The "diversity" that's advertised is only cool for a couple of weeks. Over time that stuff dies off, if you're lucky.

Or you can end up like me, and fight colonial hydroids off and on for 14 years that came in on said live rock lol.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBS does not use Marco type rock anymore, per an email from them when I inquired. Seems they only use Walt rock, I guess.

Concrete is porous, to a point, it is not extremely porous. It is extremely dense beyond Marco type rocks. The only thing that would make Walt rock more porous is the added sand and "shells".

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard many complaints about Walts rock.

Mater of fact like I said TBS is using some of Walts rock for theirs.
TBS has Puakni, Walts and the same stuff as Marco.

Here is a thread from someone respected in the hobby.. This is Walts rock dropped in Florida and not Fiji.. Same rock from a different location From TBS.

Here is some of the Fiji Rock from Walt.

That looks more natural than the rock I got from my LFS a couple years ago. Mine looks like it was painted purple?
walt rock 2-21-20.jpg

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concrete is porous, to a point, it is not extremely porous. It is extremely dense beyond Marco type rocks. The only thing that would make Walt rock more porous is the added sand and "shells".

That is not true. Large Particulate rock salt is, actually very commonly, used to vastly decreased the density of the final product. Walt uses this as does just about everyone else who makes man made rock with concrete, I believe GARF were the first to release the "recipe" 20+ years ago.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we should call the old stuff we used to be able to get REEF ROCK because you cannot get it no more. Its either mined rock or a manufactured product. I still look for dead rock, if I see any nice pieces i grab it and tuck it in the garage attic. Live rock is too generic nowadays. JMO

I always liked the Real Deal live rock, but the last Figi that I got before the ban, was in the early 2000's.

Guys,
Can you chill out on your post. There's no wrong are right, but this thread will get locked, if we take things too personal.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fairness the surface life on what I bought was probably the prettiest I've seen on any live rock, ever. Sadly it all died quickly after arrival.
That's what I buy the rock for, the life on the rock and a Bio-filter. But to roll with the changes, my last tank had 1.5 gallons of marine pure balls and I removed most of the rock and left about a third of the required 1lb per gallon.
This system I have two bricks and about 50lbs maybe of Dead real rock 125g system. Its the stuff on the rock that most pay for, I belive?

BTW @GoVols 2004 was the first time for me buying the real deal, been searching for that grail since getting back in.

Please keep it civil folks, as you can tell this is a favorite topic. Rock hound ;)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between tb lr and ws. I know tb ships with water so a 50lbs ships at 100 lbs because of the water.

Last edited:

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between tb lr and ws. I know tb ships with water so a 50lbs ships at 100 lbs because of the water.
TBS rock is Walt Smith that TBS put in the ocean themselves. Not sure if it starts as Walt Smith dry or live though. I believe, but did not verify through TBS, that all the current rock is Walt Smith but they no longer offer Marco type land based mined rock. Maybe something to do with what a previous poster mentioned about not being able to tell if it started on land or sea when harvested.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back