Want more blues without losing the growth from whites

Blue Collared Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add more blue spectrum with my radions for color pop without losing the growth factor with whites. Wondering where the happy medium would be or is the best route to add blue led bars? Run whites for short period during the day then stop? Been reading all day and keep getting mixed reviews lol.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add more blue spectrum with my radions for color pop without losing the growth factor with whites. Wondering where the happy medium would be or is the best route to add blue led bars? Run whites for short period during the day then stop? Been reading all day and keep getting mixed reviews lol.
I run a program that has more white at peak par (noon to 4 pm) and is bluer before and after that period. That way I get both.

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running radions? Did you design that set up
I run something similar to that, I just added another xr15 so had to make some adjustments with par meter. I’ll send you the program I use, it’s just a modified AB+ just so you can load it and do the preview if you wanted to see it.

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to send it in a private message but couldn’t, may have to try from a laptop.

OP
OP
Blue Collared Aquatics

Blue Collared Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run something similar to that, I just added another xr15 so had to make some adjustments with par meter. I’ll send you the program I use, it’s just a modified AB+ just so you can load it and do the preview if you wanted to see it.
Yes definitely

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You may get more growth with the blue, or less from hitting the photosaturation point which is easier to do with blues. Blue is more efficient for growth. I use the white channel primarily for my fish as I feel that no one considers how light impacts fish behavior.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure that Jason Fox is known for running only blues, so white would seem pointless for growth.

I also run some white only at mid day so that I can see my fish for a bit. :) Blue the rest of the time.

Hellic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what it really comes down to is stability with your lighting. Pick something you like, and just let it run forever. Spectrum/lighting changes will continue to set your growth back. I've noticed my corals seem to grow the most after feedings. Whether white grows better or blue, who knows the truth. However, ocean spectrum for corals like lps and softies are blue in the ocean so it stands to reason that deeper corals would prefer bluer light. Whereas shallower corals like sps would prefer a whiter light.

Back