Want to add a sump but not drill the tank.. how and is it worth it.

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 DT, fish only. It's been running for 30 years using under-gravel filtration. Things have changed and I have a new cabinet under it now with space for a sump. I'd like to have the benifit of addtional water for stability, the additional filtering and a protien skimmer. It'd be good for my current tenants and might allow me to add a couple more.
I can't find a HOB overflow with the 3 drain pipe set-up and am hearing some scary stories about the siphon type boxes causing flooding if they loose the siphon.
I don't think I can use the sump as my only filtration so I'm gonna keep the under gravel going as well.
Is a sump at this point worth it and how best to go about it without drilling the tank!
TIA

OP
OP
W

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Willv3,
I was looking at there page last night, it needs some TLC. Which one do you have and what did you have it on. Is the flooding issue hype?

WillV3R33N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the single slimline version with the lifereef silencer and a spare siphon tube. I never had any issues. Had it on a 65 gallon tall reef tank. Any time I did water changes it would stop the flow and after the water was pumped from my sump back into the DT the flow would start back on its own through the overflow box.

OP
OP
W

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity Sucks! I think I'll need the double for the size of my DT.
Just have to decide if the sump idea really makes a difference for maybe 9 fish, no inverts or corals.
I was never fond of having water outside the tank, tried the canister filter approach yeras ago and what a mess, luckly no flood but still, Yuk.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back