Want to be sure about a coral beauty

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so I'm very interested in getting a coral beauty. I have a 40 gallon mixed reef tank with inhabitants & I have been told that Coral Beauty's grow slow so it should be ok & space shouldn't be a problem. Everything I've read says that's not true concerning the space. So, before I make a blunder, I could use some advice with this.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40b has enough space for a coral beauty, the issue is what are the tank mates and if your have corals or not. They are one of the more likely to be reef safe angels, but you can never be sure with angels. Have a contingency plan if it starts to nip corals.

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I do have some corals: zoa's, a frogspawn, a hammer & a couple Duncans. I also have a pair of clowns & a black widow anemone, a yellow watchman/pistol shrimp combo, a 6 line wrasse and a purple dartfish

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40b has enough space for a coral beauty, the issue is what are the tank mates and if your have corals or not. They are one of the more likely to be reef safe angels, but you can never be sure with angels. Have a contingency plan if it starts to nip corals.
Ok thanks. I do have some corals: zoa's, a frogspawn, a hammer & a couple Duncans. I also have a pair of clowns & a black widow anemone, a yellow watchman/pistol shrimp combo, a 6 line wrasse and a purple dartfish

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you dont have any fish thats immediately on the NO list for a coral beauty, but they can be mean, but so can your clowns and your wrasse. For fish stock I think it should be ok. You will need to start feeding nori a few times a week, angels need some veggies in their diets.

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you dont have any fish thats immediately on the NO list for a coral beauty, but they can be mean, but so can your clowns and your wrasse. For fish stock I think it should be ok. You will need to start feeding nori a few times a week, angels need some veggies in their diets.
Ok cool. Thanks. My tank does have the algae I've read that CB's like, so that shouldn't be a problem

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a dwarf flaco hawk fish I read online they may eat shrimp some may not. Mine ate my 2 shrimp so sometimes its just the fish. I still keep him just no more shrimp and now I call him killer. Your coral beauty may nip at some coral it probably wont eat them all. It may never touch them just know the risk. For algae get a diverse cuc multiple different types of snails hermits fish and you should be fine.

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a dwarf flaco hawk fish I read online they may eat shrimp some may not. Mine ate my 2 shrimp so sometimes its just the fish. I still keep him just no more shrimp and now I call him killer. Your coral beauty may nip at some coral it probably wont eat them all. It may never touch them just know the risk. For algae get a diverse cuc multiple different types of snails hermits fish and you should be fine.
I forgot I also have a bi-color blenny, would that cause any issues? All the tankmates get along for the most part

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend a CB. Mine is very active around the tank and it's a beautiful fish in both white/blue light. It should mesh well with your current stock, but some are more aggressive than others. Most important I've found is to feed twice a day. I've caught mine nipping at coral whenever I try to limit feeding for a short period he once decimated some xenia. But since I figured that out I always offer spirulina wafers and nori to graze on - have not seen any nipping in over a year. Maybe he was trying to save me from xenia taking over the tank :)

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a coral beauty in a 40G before and it never nipped any corals, but it bullied all the other fish in the tank. it basically layed claim to ALL the rockwork in the tank and would chase any other fish away from the rocks. The other fish all dealt with it, but the CB was clearly causing stress to all the other fish. Eventually the tank got ICH and I pulled all the fish to QT them and the CB jumped from the QT tank the first night it was in there without a lid. after it jumped, I decided not replace it.

Mine was very dark, almost completely black. cool looking fish, but it was a total bully in that size tank. It was one of the first fish I got and it bullied all new additions. Perhaps things would have gone differently if I added it last instead of first.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a coral beauty in a 40G before and it never nipped any corals, but it bullied all the other fish in the tank. it basically layed claim to ALL the rockwork in the tank and would chase any other fish away from the rocks. The other fish all dealt with it, but the CB was clearly causing stress to all the other fish. Eventually the tank got ICH and I pulled all the fish to QT them and the CB jumped from the QT tank the first night it was in there without a lid. after it jumped, I decided not replace it.

Mine was very dark, almost completely black. cool looking fish, but it was a total bully in that size tank. It was one of the first fish I got and it bullied all new additions. Perhaps things would have gone differently if I added it last instead of first.
I agree the CB probably needs to be last in that size tank. They need a lot of structure to swim around and will lay claim to whole tank if first

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you may add it last and it's still a jerk. Never know what personality you get with each fish. Too bad we can't have an interview/discussion with each fish we want to hire - I mean purchase

Back