Want to buy coral online but intimidated by all the stores. What’s the most beginner friendly store in your opinion?

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loaded question, I know. I see all these stores advertising black friday sales and I’m genuinely interested in buying some coral online for the first time since my usual option has just been my LFS, but they don’t have anything colorful in that’s easy. Mainly interested in softies and easy LPS/SPS just to start stocking.

I’m actually fairly embarrassed to say, but I’m rather intimidated by all the options and hesitant to really buy online in general. What was your go to store when you were first stocking or your favorite online store in general.

(Be gentle, I bruise easily. Please move or delete it this isn’t the appropriate forum.)

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a doubt for the most user friendly experience, Battlecorals.

Also @Battlecorals

World Wide is a good choice as well, with a good selection of the soft stuff, I've had good luck with their auctions, and stuff has arrived pest free and in good condition.

Unique Corals is also an excellent choice for the 'Easy LPS/SPS' condition.

But for what it's worth, Adam at Battlecorals will take good care of you.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a doubt for the most user friendly experience, Battlecorals.

Also @Battlecorals

World Wide is a good choice as well, with a good selection of the soft stuff, I've had good luck with their auctions, and stuff has arrived pest free and in good condition.

Unique Corals is also an excellent choice for the 'Easy LPS/SPS' condition.

But for what it's worth, Adam at Battlecorals will take good care of you.
Is battlecorals mainly SPS? All of the SPS there looks gorgeous but I’m deathly afraid I’ll just murder the coral.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is battlecorals mainly SPS? All of the SPS there looks gorgeous but I’m deathly afraid I’ll just murder the coral.
I’m still fairly new at this myself, but what I’ve found is all the big online stores have a professional photographer on the staff. They can make any Coral look gorgeous. My “local” fish store is WWC. They are great guys there. If I see something I like online, I will go there and look at the mother colony for that Frag. Sometimes they look completely different, and sorry to say, IMO sometimes just down right ugly. Others look the same. I’ve stocked all the coral I wanted, SPS, LPS and Zoas from corals I could see the mother colony in person and know I really liked them. Took me about six months of “shopping” to make my selections, but I’m happy with all of them. And, yes, they all came from WWC. I also feel that if you find a coral on line that seems to be a super great price, it’s probably because they can’t sell it at a better price. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but if everyone wants something, the price is going to reflect that. Pick the corals you like, then search on line or on the forum for pictures of that corals mother colony. That will give you a better idea of how it will look when it grows up.

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loaded question, I know. I see all these stores advertising black friday sales and I’m genuinely interested in buying some coral online for the first time since my usual option has just been my LFS, but they don’t have anything colorful in that’s easy. Mainly interested in softies and easy LPS/SPS just to start stocking.

I’m actually fairly embarrassed to say, but I’m rather intimidated by all the options and hesitant to really buy online in general. What was your go to store when you were first stocking or your favorite online store in general.

(Be gentle, I bruise easily. Please move or delete it this isn’t the appropriate forum.)
IME WWC is the only one that tells you what lighting/flow each piece does best in. For some reason none of the other big vendors seem to do that simple thing that makes such a difference.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being afraid in this hobby is like being scared at an amusement park, you'll be safe either way, most of the time, but it robs you of a lot of the fun. Don't be afraid, go in educated, advised, and ready. This is all stuff that R2R is here to help you with, ask lots of questions, bounce ideas off the rest of us as far as whether your tank, parameters, lighting, and husbandry are sufficient enough to produce a stable environment for corals. Prepare, then double check, then prepare again! Without a doubt we will help you succeed.

Yes, Adam does sell primarily SPS, and the reason I suggest him is he sells a LOT of SPS, and often will tailor a pack specifically for your tank environment. Judging flow, water quality, size, lighting, and growth potential. This is a level of service I've never gotten from one of the big name coral vendors, and I find that personal touch to be a lot more reassuring than buying from 'just anyone', or even a LFS.

Whichever you decide, know that we're here to help you get that 20 year stable tank, one ugly stage at a time.

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally have had good experiences with aquasd. their prices are more middle of the road as well.

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U gotta try some stuff out and you will find success through failing. I recommend starting off with LFS and then online. LFS is more forgiving IMO bc there's no shipping stress.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U gotta try some stuff out and you will find success through failing. I recommend starting off with LFS and then online. LFS is more forgiving IMO bc there's no shipping stress.
I have a lot of local coral guys in my fb groups. I’m hoping to meet up with one guy on Tuesday to pick up a zoa colony for 30. I don’t know the actual name of the color morph but it’s rainbow colored.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not naming name's but don't be surprised if the corals you receive don't look much like the image online, especially sps. Not all but many of the vendors doctor the photos so heavily they should be ashamed. Look at the background, color of eggcrate and plugs etc. Typically eggcrate and plugs are white or black. If they are blue, purple, pink etc then you are not seeing the true color of the coral.
I have never purchased here but aquacorals.com seems to have a lot of softies.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not gonna recommend a specific vendor (though would definitely say Battlecorals if you were going heavy sps), but would suggest stay away from any of these live sales. Especially when new to the hobby they are w fantastic way to get ripped off and the nature of the sale puts you in a rush. Seeing those $30 mohawk palys (after 80% off) makes you think buy it quick.....in a reality they are weed palys you can pick up for $15 or $20(often free locally).

Maybe look at some of the "after sales" where it a more leisurely stroll through the website at a better price. It's mostly going to be more common stuff that is left, but if you just starting off that's fine. Allows you to research what u getting and make sure price is actually good.

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True that.. if ur a beginner I wouldnt start with those...
Go to unique corals. They're legit and their prices are 100% fair! In fact they always have some good sales.

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to sell u on unique corals but the reason why I like shopping with them is because they never Photoshop their images or boost up the contrast on the pics..
Unique corals images on their site looks legit .. esp on their wyswyg!
Every time I bought things there, they always looked the same in person!

Stupidkitty84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love AquaSD! I bought beautiful torches and hammers for $30 a head or 2. Zoas, montis, acans, gonis/alve, chalices/mycediums, acros for $10-$20. I did recently buy from Top Shelf Aquatics, too but man, I had some dead corals arrive (still haven't responded to my DOA request) and some pests (aiptasia). I had not a single aiptasia hitchhiker from AquaSD.

That reminds me, a LFS that does online coral sales mostly, everything I bought from them was covered in multiple aiptasia. I ordered online, and it was already bagged when I picked it up. It took hours to get them off and apparently I missed 1 cause yesterday I moved a monti I bought from them and it was on my rockscape underneath. So, moral of the story, how well these vendors maintain their product (corals) will impact your own tank so choose wisely.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, coral pics on a vendor's website are rarely an accurate representation. I peek in to live sales every once in a while and I end up buying something unique (or so I thought) only to be disappointment by the actual color. Better off going to a LFS, frag swap, or coral show where it's truly WYSIWYG. Vendor prices are getting out of hand too - (sorry WWC).

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the vendors I’ve used and more than once due to quality of the corals. Pieces of the Ocean(great auctions on site), Orlando Living Reef, AquaSD(clearance section has crazy good deals, and they do auctions on EBay), Riptide, and my current favorite SBB corals @SBB Corals (specialize in Acros, Torches and Gonis mostly) - they do live sales that have incredible deals and the quality is bar none. I’ve heard good things about Battlecorals, but I have mostly lps . Here’s some mostly pieces of the ocean and SBB corals— POTO first DE78F5B4-0DC6-4D38-9BB2-2A83872FB302.jpeg 26DA2486-C801-46C6-8F81-6EF4C422E781.jpeg 1C08F788-AC63-4F81-BE1E-AF756D445D6B.jpeg
SBB
236F9C0D-71D6-449F-A0D8-396401A25BAE.jpeg
761DB5E4-C755-4BD4-956E-D2ECCF7E81A0.jpeg E8142194-5CC7-4665-9B4C-08434CD48DF5.jpeg AE479CE2-C8AD-414B-B1B6-B599366BFD7A.jpeg D23346CE-2C2A-4273-AAD2-5FAF6C787438.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back