Want to drill my tank!

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So velvet just killed all of my fish in my FOWLR tank and all I have left is 1 BTA and a cuc. If I lower the water level enough can I drill it with those still in the tank? I guess the other option would be to put all of the rock and water into bins with circulation, then drill? How long would I need to wait after the drilling and installation of the overflow until I can put everything back in? The tank is acrylic.
Thanks!!

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot drill with anything in the tank. Once you drilled it you can put them back the same day as long as you clean it up. Drilling is somewhat messy. Look up drilling aquariums it is not hard at all just need to make sure you have a full grasp on what you are trying to do when you drill it.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot drill with anything in the tank. Once you drilled it you can put them back the same day as long as you clean it up. Drilling is somewhat messy. Look up drilling aquariums it is not hard at all just need to make sure you have a full grasp on what you are trying to do when you drill it.
Yeah, just watched a few videos and insure is messy. I have an eshopps overflow and I keep getting huge air bubbles in the u tubes. I'm even using an air pump.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should let the tank sit with nothing for around 8 weeks 6 at the least ich can stay in rock work for a long time and the wait is worth it. You dont want to drill and then infect the sump live rock with it as well.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should let the tank sit with nothing for around 8 weeks 6 at the least ich can stay in rock work for a long time and the wait is worth it. You dont want to drill and then infect the sump live rock with it as well.
Yeah, I'm not going to add any fish until after Christmas I think. Do you know if I could add more CUC in the mean time?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t be getting air bubbles in the utube. Is the tube on both sides fully submerged? I would see if you can find the source of the air.

I may have missed, how big is the tank

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t be getting air bubbles in the utube. Is the tube on both sides fully submerged? I would see if you can find the source of the air.

I may have missed, how big is the tank
120 gal long. Yes, they both look submerged on both sides.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 gal long. Yes, they both look submerged on both sides.

Well, there goes my idea to house everyone in temporary location, drain, drill, clean and refill. Definitely not a 2 hour job :D

Still, I am thinking air needs to be coming in thru the skimmer box side. I would check the skimmer box to make sure the tube is submerged deep enough, make sure no small cracks or damage to the tube allowing air in, and any chance micro bubbles are building up in the tube,

Just some thought.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there goes my idea to house everyone in temporary location, drain, drill, clean and refill. Definitely not a 2 hour job :D

Still, I am thinking air needs to be coming in thru the skimmer box side. I would check the skimmer box to make sure the tube is submerged deep enough, make sure no small cracks or damage to the tube allowing air in, and any chance micro bubbles are building up in the tube,

Just some thought.
I’ll definitely have to check the box again. It’s driving me nuts because I keep thinking it’s going to break siphon

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ian you can drill your tank. I have done it in the past. I have used a plastic container pressed against the wall inside the tank to catch the shavings. Drilling from the outside in. Take it slow and easy do not press the bit into the tank and let the bit do the work. If you go to fast you could chip or crack the acrylic. I used a wood paddle bit on my tank. Worked great. But again you have to take it easy with very light pressure. Shavings will be a mess on the outside. Also make sure it’s a sharp new drill bit. I’m including a pic. This is on the top of my tank for a return line. Get a cool overflow like the synergy shadow and go for it.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have enough flow.
That is probably it. I need to re-plumb the sump. Instead of going straight back up the tank, I went 3 feet to the right, then 3.5 feet up. My pump is working overtime. I’m going to re-plumb to return tomorrow. See how it might help the overflow.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you reach that magic spot with flow the bubbles/air pockets will just blow right through the U tube and not accumulate.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do be honest I just did this today as I had to move my tank! Like you I had a HOB overflow and always had trapped bubbles and I’m sure I have more than enough flow. Drained tank, removed rock and some fish, moved tank to where I wanted, drilled tank (glass) installed overflow, plumbed it. Bam within 2-3 hours tank is fully running again!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back