Want to hook up 4 computer fans to my apex

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone give me a hand with some parts to make this work? I want to hook up 4 computer fans to behind my tank to cool it off during summer months. Im trying to figure out a way to plug all 4 into 1 power outlet on the apex. Anyone know the cleanest way to do this? Please link some parts if you can.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone give me a hand with some parts to make this work? I want to hook up 4 computer fans to behind my tank to cool it off during summer months. Im trying to figure out a way to plug all 4 into 1 power outlet on the apex. Anyone know the cleanest way to do this? Please link some parts if you can.

You shouldnt need more than the fans themselves, a soldering iron/solder, some heat shrink tubing and a 12v wall wart (power supply), I would suggest something at least in the 3+ amps range (3000ma). I have a 12cm variable speed asus case fan that wont spin up with a power supply less than 2 amps (12volts x 2 amps = 24watts.)

Most PC case fans are 12v devices, cut off the molex connector (the 2, 3 or 4 pin connector) from the fans, cut off the barrel plug or whatever came on the wall wart, solder the positive from the wall wart to the positive on fan 1, solder the negative from fan 1 to the positive on fan 2, solder the negative on fan 2 to the positive on fan 3, do the same for #4 then finally solder the negative from fan 4 for the negative on the wall wart.

I've done alot of complex (read small) soldering in my day, and honestly, getting all of my gear setup would take longer than actually soldering all of the wires. Your mileage may very, but its a great skill to know.

Last edited:

Galvano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldnt need more than the fans themselves, a soldering iron/solder, some heat shrink tubing and a 12v wall wart (power supply) [...]

Most PC case fans are 12v devices, cut off the molex connector (the 2, 3 or 4 pin connector) from the fans, cut off the barrel plug or whatever came on the wall wart, solder the positive from the wall wart to the positive on fan 1, solder the negative from fan 1 to the positive on fan 2, solder the negative on fan 2 to the positive on fan 3, do the same for #4 then finally solder the negative from fan 4 for the negative on the wall wart.

Chaining the fans in series, each of them will only get a quarter of the PSU's voltage. IMO you have to run them parallel, each directly connected to the PSU.

Cheers

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have the newer eb832, that has 24v accessory ports?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the old eb8 unfortunately.

There are fans meant for regular 120v plugs, such as this- could then just put all 4 on a splitter, and then use 1 port of your EB8. No soldering required.

Alternatively, there are plugs meant for regular computer fans to use wall outlets. Can connect to premium Noctua fans that have an IP67 rating. (Linked a 2000rpm and a 3000rpm version)

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are fans meant for regular 120v plugs, such as this- could then just put all 4 on a splitter, and then use 1 port of your EB8. No soldering required.

Alternatively, there are plugs meant for regular computer fans to use wall outlets. Can connect to premium Noctua fans that have an IP67 rating. (Linked a 2000rpm and a 3000rpm version)

Thanks for this. Would that power supply be running each of the 2 fans at 100% capacity? I might just buy 2 of those supplys and 4 fans and connect them to a splitter.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a previous tank build I used something like this for my hood.

Not sure about voltage drop... I was more focused on having whisper quiet computer fans which seem readily available and relatively cheap.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back