OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first batch of guppies has also bred in this time, the babies all made it and are know in my main display. This is a huge step in my project, the successful breeding is good for the continuing of my project.

Attachments

• 20201213_082816.jpg
    20201213_082816.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 33

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You're still playing god and killing the poor fish. But for what?

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I've asked myself that too, but know the mortality rate of the guppies has dropped, the second and third batches had around 1-3 deaths out of the 30 or so. I am not saying those lives are less valuable because they are all living creatures, this project definitely puts ethics in perspective. But this hobby can also be placed in these ways, this whole thing is very controversial and thats just the reality of the situation. People have there opinions I will take yours into consideration. Thanks for the feed back, If anybody else has any criticisms or requests for me please feel free to tell me them.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you take a spotted puffer and get them from brackish to fill salt?
You can and im pretty sure gsp need to eventually reach near full marine conditions, I had a gsp that was at a salinity of 1.022 specific gravity, he was fine until he got caught in my internal filter when the bottom cap fell off, that guy would've gone into my fish only system but he died prematurely. But yes they can go in full marine conditions

Bogazi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, New to R2R.
Don't forget Endlers.... we have Endler's in several tanks fresh and brackish.
We've had Pea Puffers for a couple of years now and when my wife saw another cute puffer we picked it up since it was sold to us as fresh water puffer. I think the youngster simply did not know. Soooo it ended up being a Takifugu Obscurus! Soo... Mr Magoo is now homed in a 75g brackish at 1.012 with Java Fern, 5 black Sailfin Mollies, and just introduced 2 Bumble Bee Gobies (Bert and Ernie) after acclimating them down from 1.032! LFS had them at 1.032. Looking to add MacroAlgae and will be looking in further with what AlgaeBarn has to offer.
Then..... my wife really loving the character of puffers picked up a Green Spot Puffer. Georgie Porgie is currently an inch.... maybe... and is homed with 10 Endler's and a Violet Goby (Vinnie) in a freshwater 20 High. There's Java Fern, Anubias, and swords. We'll leave it fresh for awhile then over time/water changes bring it to 1.012 as well.

Our current tank inventory
10g Neocardina mix tank with Pygmy Cory's breeding like crazy
10g w/ 3 Pea Puffers
36g bow front nano tank
75g community tank
125g community tank
75g brackish (Mr Magoo Takifugu)
20H fresh (later brackish with Georgie Porgie GSP)
10g Ramshorn snail reproduction tank (Puffer supplement food)
30g tank for mixing brackish for water changes

And all in about 3 years lol All Fresh water tanks are heavily planted and want to figure out how high in salinity to go yet still support live plants in our brackish tanks.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, New to R2R.
Don't forget Endlers.... we have Endler's in several tanks fresh and brackish.
We've had Pea Puffers for a couple of years now and when my wife saw another cute puffer we picked it up since it was sold to us as fresh water puffer. I think the youngster simply did not know. Soooo it ended up being a Takifugu Obscurus! Soo... Mr Magoo is now homed in a 75g brackish at 1.012 with Java Fern, 5 black Sailfin Mollies, and just introduced 2 Bumble Bee Gobies (Bert and Ernie) after acclimating them down from 1.032! LFS had them at 1.032. Looking to add MacroAlgae and will be looking in further with what AlgaeBarn has to offer.
Then..... my wife really loving the character of puffers picked up a Green Spot Puffer. Georgie Porgie is currently an inch.... maybe... and is homed with 10 Endler's and a Violet Goby (Vinnie) in a freshwater 20 High. There's Java Fern, Anubias, and swords. We'll leave it fresh for awhile then over time/water changes bring it to 1.012 as well.

Our current tank inventory
10g Neocardina mix tank with Pygmy Cory's breeding like crazy
10g w/ 3 Pea Puffers
36g bow front nano tank
75g community tank
125g community tank
75g brackish (Mr Magoo Takifugu)
20H fresh (later brackish with Georgie Porgie GSP)
10g Ramshorn snail reproduction tank (Puffer supplement food)
30g tank for mixing brackish for water changes

And all in about 3 years lol All Fresh water tanks are heavily planted and want to figure out how high in salinity to go yet still support live plants in our brackish tanks.
That is quite the feet you have accomplished, very impressive and you seem to care very much about these wonderful fish

Bogazi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite the feet you have accomplished, very impressive and you seem to care very much about these wonderful fish
Thanks Guppy Guru, Had tanks for years then the job had me travelling a LOT. My new wife is from Alaska and the hobby is VERY expensive there so had never had an aquarium. She asked me if "I" wanted to get back into "My" hobby... wink, wink... She absolutely loves the hobby, researches a bunch, and has an amazing knack for the hobby and I have really enjoyed exploring the new species etc. with her.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long time of succes and failure, I had paused the guppy project for a few months. However I have resumed it and now I have developed a more refined technique for acclimation. Finishing one batch will take approximately three months, compared to the previous time span of six months. Casualties are very low and in the begging batch there are so far, no Casualties. In fact they started breeding in the containment unit. This was great seeing as they are healthy and for the most part happy. But I can't read minds so I'm assuming. #Reefguppies

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long time of succes and failure, I had paused the guppy project for a few months. However I have resumed it and now I have developed a more refined technique for acclimation. Finishing one batch will take approximately three months, compared to the previous time span of six months. Casualties are very low and in the begging batch there are so far, no Casualties. In fact they started breeding in the containment unit. This was great seeing as they are healthy and for the most part happy. But I can't read minds so I'm assuming. #Reefguppies
Could you have a seperate tank for fish showing stress where those fish could be saved rather than becoming a casualty. I know you won't get everything but you should be able to save some. Even a bucket with a lower salinity for emergencies.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you have a seperate tank for fish showing stress where those fish could be saved rather than becoming a casualty. I know you won't get everything but you should be able to save some. Even a bucket with a lower salinity for emergencies.
I have done this and it does work, this is why casualties have decreased. I am very glad that you are worried about the fish and looking out for them, everything is really good right now. Thanks for your idea.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back