Want to know a little brackish secret.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downfall I see no ptoblem with trying but if I may recomend using the grey colored guppies that adapt easier to higher salinity and breed them with fancy guppies throughout the process to keep some color in the genes along with stronger salinity tolerant genes. That is what I would do.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you start with more than 10 pairs maybe even a colony style setup to produce a ton of fry to allow more options while raising the salinity. Perhaps 10 pairs and one large colony with the colony kept at 1.015 to 1.020 incase of failure then you have options. Especially if the colony is grey guppies as they could offer a backup option should the mixed fish that have more color fail to adapt.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to add long ago I did breed feeder guppys in a saltwater enviroment the way I did it was to raise the first generation to brackish over the course of a months time using a slow drip to replace evaporated water then the second generation do the same with untill at the desired saltwater salinity mine was 25 after that they are now saltwater and will breed regualy I tried to creat a market for them but 10 years ago no one was interested also lastly I was able to take the saltwater guppy 8 generations out drop them in freshwater with no acclimation and 0 deaths when your breeding the at each generation separate the males from females and keep a log of who came from where and only breed cousins so to speak to eachother otherwise at the 3rd generation without doing this they will start to have some horable deformitys

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck also the reason you can do this is becouse of thier liver is setup to prosses mass amounts of waste becouse of the trash diches they come from in the wild you are just replacing the waste water with salt

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem I hope you have better luck creating a want for them then I did as they should replace feeder guppy as I tried to do but no one cared you could keep guppys alive as a food source for lionfish etc let alone as a display pet is a reef enviroment

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for the Next fish, Mollies. mollies are a very unique fish they can come in many colors, shapes, and sizes. They go from deep black to marble orange. They can be striped, spotted, and patterned. long and slim to small and round. In a nano Reef the only true algae eating machine is the lawnmower blenny, but mollies are very good at cleaning up algae. A single molly is not very good at annihilating algae but the benefit with these fish is that you can keep several individuals in a tank. they are also very cheap ranging from one dollar to ten dollars. They are also live bearers meaning they give birth to free swimming fry. This means that if you have no predators and enough hiding spots you will eventually spot some babies in your system. They can also have a large dorsal fin / sailfin, which they will open up to defend their territory or to attract a mate. Well now you know about these little fishies. Hope you all have a good day and remember, Happy Reefing. #Reefmollies

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Announcement: From here on out all questions regarding brackish water fish and inverts, will be redirected here I will no longer be posting on my other brackish water topic threads I will still be posting here. This thread will be used as it is the most successful and the most widely know of the bunch, It has informed many people and I myself have made mistakes and learned from them here. This was also my first thread so its been with me on my may as a hobbyist. Thank you and remember, Happy Reefing.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump a bunch of feeders in 50/50, many have fin & tail rot, et. .. the salt sorta cures many FW diseases but not all. They go full strength Sw next day. Furan 2 for 4 days and a lil copper cleans em up.
Losses are minimal really

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump a bunch of feeders in 50/50, many have fin & tail rot, et. .. the salt sorta cures many FW diseases but not all. They go full strength Sw next day. Furan 2 for 4 days and a lil copper cleans em up.
Losses are minimal saltwatee dips should not be used as a cure it is too risky for many fish. But it can be done it is really not as safe or affective.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to add do not keep mollies and guppys in the same tank as you van end up with a sterile hybrid same goes for plattys and swordtails but this hybrid is more viable

Back