OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will try to stay away from danger and short fin guppies will even find ways to burrow themselves to stay safe. If you have many in a large enough tank they will set up spots where they will take turns keeping a look out, it happened to me and it was awesome.

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those certainly are cool looking fish those are moons right. Very cool my friend I’ve always wanted moons in my tank but no suppliers near me.

Hi yes they are acclimated them for 1.5 months and they are really cool. Had them over 1 year already . Thanks

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does the bacteria fair with the rapidly changing Salinity during acclimation, how well does the tank stay cycle through the whole thing ammonia wise?

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does the bacteria fair with the rapidly changing Salinity during acclimation, how well does the tank stay cycle through the whole thing ammonia wise?
Hi I acclimate in a separate tank with tank water from my big tank and RO to avoid any salinity and cycling issues. It’s slower than adding salt mix but eliminates the need to cycle the tank. I also use prime and stability when doing this acclimation . Hope this helps. Thx

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has me thinking once more on mahachaiensis. It’s a brackish species of the betta splendens complex. They can thrive in full fresh, but I wonder if they can thrive in salt. If I still had mine I’d certainly try.

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ok I have a small 45 gallon tank with RO. Every other day I take out half a gallon and add reef tank water. I measure the salinity about 2 hrs after adding the reef water from my big tank. I do this over close to 2 months or until I am at 1.025 specific gravity . I run my reef around 1.027 so the .02 difference comes to play when I acclimate them for a few hours in the big tank with the drip method. It all depends on how fast you want to do it and how big the acclimation tank is. I akways take at least a month to get the fish use to the salinity . Hope this helps thanks.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on your process for acclimation also what other species can be acclimated.
TO try and answer all your questions first ammonia would build up eventually so you would want to try and avoid many in one tank. You would then want to add lots of surface area to your filter of corse this transition tank should be already cycled. Salinity wise you can check it if your going to do a water change so that you don’t mess anything up. There are many species of brackish water fish here are a few mollies, guppies, a few species of killi fish, archerfish, moon fish, figure 8 and green spotted puffer fish, sword tail (for a short period of time), dragon goby, bumble bee goby, and one extra invert the fiddler crab.

Back