Want to know a little brackish secret.

Lowell Lemon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Aren't those Mono Argentus? If so they are both brackish and saltwater in their natural environment. Saw lots of them around the mangroves of Koh Chan, Thailand. Lots of Scats, Halfbeaks, in the schools of Mono's as well.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
When you acclimate them to SW doesn't that make there life spans shorter also can you make SW fish into FW?
The simple answer is no to both. All the fish that I put on the list have a better life in saltwater as the diseases or infections that normally hurt them in freshwater don’t exist in saltwater so they thrive and their life span can fluctuate but in most cases they live longer better lives. Saltwater fish cannot live in freshwater only brackish water fish can transition from fresh to salt water.

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
I've done mollies. Never done guppies. I found mollies (at least mine) don't handle the flow of a reef well. How about guppies?

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Aren't those Mono Argentus? If so they are both brackish and saltwater in their natural environment. Saw lots of them around the mangroves of Koh Chan, Thailand. Lots of Scats, Halfbeaks, in the schools of Mono's as well.
Hi yes they are in their youth they usually live in fresh to brackish then move to saltier water as adults thx

KrisReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Many people are struggling to get a good beginner fish for there saltwater aquarium but many don’t know that mollies and guppies can live and breed in saltwater, and when it happens it is just the most beautiful thing. The fry can also be used as coral food
That's cruel to feed baby guppies to the coral! :)

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
I recommend female guppies first they are common and usually have shorter fins, but most females are less colorful. One very pretty short fin guppy is the robson guppy.
Thanks!

OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
I recommend female guppies first they are common and usually have shorter fins, but most females are less colorful. One very pretty short fin guppy is the robson guppy.
But unfortunately that species has basically disappeared of the planet.

OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Luckily for you, if you want short fin guppies just google them for sale or ask your lfs if they could get some in for you

https://www.omegasea.net/
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
If you have any questions just type it down bellow and I or the other good people will answer it.

OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello everyone just here to say that I’m so glad that this many people love my content I want people to learn of the wonders of brackish water fish this includes a reef safe puffer beautiful small peaceful schooling fish and so much more. I’m happy and I hope we all keep wondering the thoughts in our heads.

Copingwithpods

View Badges
Reaction score
And one more the process filed down is just acclimation 1-2 months, and finally drip acclimation for a few hours.
Any more info than this? I might want to give this a shot with a guppy.

Starting from complete freshwater how many ppt can be added per day. Also this whole time ammonia is just rising as its pointless to add bacteria or is bacteria added constantly and ammonia neutralized with additives. From my understanding freshwater bacterial dies in saltwater and vise versa. Or does the bacteria colonys adapt if done slow enough?

Do you think that slowing down the water through your sump benefits the chemistry of your tank?

• Yes (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 70 18.5%
  • No (why do you think that?)

Votes: 92 24.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 207 54.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors