Want to know a little brackish secret.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't those Mono Argentus? If so they are both brackish and saltwater in their natural environment. Saw lots of them around the mangroves of Koh Chan, Thailand. Lots of Scats, Halfbeaks, in the schools of Mono's as well.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you acclimate them to SW doesn't that make there life spans shorter also can you make SW fish into FW?
The simple answer is no to both. All the fish that I put on the list have a better life in saltwater as the diseases or infections that normally hurt them in freshwater don’t exist in saltwater so they thrive and their life span can fluctuate but in most cases they live longer better lives. Saltwater fish cannot live in freshwater only brackish water fish can transition from fresh to salt water.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've done mollies. Never done guppies. I found mollies (at least mine) don't handle the flow of a reef well. How about guppies?

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't those Mono Argentus? If so they are both brackish and saltwater in their natural environment. Saw lots of them around the mangroves of Koh Chan, Thailand. Lots of Scats, Halfbeaks, in the schools of Mono's as well.
Hi yes they are in their youth they usually live in fresh to brackish then move to saltier water as adults thx

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people are struggling to get a good beginner fish for there saltwater aquarium but many don’t know that mollies and guppies can live and breed in saltwater, and when it happens it is just the most beautiful thing. The fry can also be used as coral food

That's cruel to feed baby guppies to the coral! :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recommend female guppies first they are common and usually have shorter fins, but most females are less colorful. One very pretty short fin guppy is the robson guppy.
Thanks!

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone just here to say that I’m so glad that this many people love my content I want people to learn of the wonders of brackish water fish this includes a reef safe puffer beautiful small peaceful schooling fish and so much more. I’m happy and I hope we all keep wondering the thoughts in our heads.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one more the process filed down is just acclimation 1-2 months, and finally drip acclimation for a few hours.

Any more info than this? I might want to give this a shot with a guppy.

Starting from complete freshwater how many ppt can be added per day. Also this whole time ammonia is just rising as its pointless to add bacteria or is bacteria added constantly and ammonia neutralized with additives. From my understanding freshwater bacterial dies in saltwater and vise versa. Or does the bacteria colonys adapt if done slow enough?

Back