Want to know a little brackish secret.

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you acclimate them to SW doesn't that make there life spans shorter also can you make SW fish into FW?

hi I’m not sure about lifespan but I have had them over a year. they act like fresh water fish but eat aggressively. I would put more but it takes work. I have never made salt to fresh but I know of sharks living in freshwater as they have acclimated over time. Thx

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies are a good fish but 2 becomes 5 becomes 50 becomes 1000. They live birth and can get outa control really quick

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more info than this? I might want to give this a shot with a guppy.

Starting from complete freshwater how many ppt can be added per day. Also this whole time ammonia is just rising as its pointless to add bacteria or is bacteria added constantly and ammonia neutralized with additives. From my understanding freshwater bacterial dies in saltwater and vise versa. Or does the bacteria colonys adapt if done slow enough?

Starting from complete freshwater how many ppt can be added per day. Also this whole time ammonia is just rising as its pointless to add bacteria or is bacteria added constantly and ammonia neutralized with additives. From my understanding freshwater bacterial dies in saltwater and vise versa. Or does the bacteria colonys adapt if done slow enough?
That certainly is an issue but guppies are naturally resistant of ammonia but it still is bad for the fish so at this transitioning time your best bet would be a good filter and water changes. The most you should do is adding 1 ppt a day, if you take the just to be sure road (slow acclimation) you should add 0.5 ppt. This can get a bit complicated if your brand new but if you can read salt mix instructions and a reefractomiter your golden.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies are a good fish but 2 becomes 5 becomes 50 becomes 1000. They live birth and can get outa control really quick
Yes they do breed a lot but if you have coral like scolymia torch or other euphilias and especially sun coral the fry can serve as coral and anemone food.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fry can be a great help for people who are thinking of having the iconic NPS sun coral. The fry will serve as food and can help the sun coral eat.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a quick fact, the figure 8 puffer and green spotted puffers are a brackish water fish that can be kept in a reef tank and are...... REEF SAFE! I do recommend the figure 8 puffer as they are less aggressive and easier to acclimate it is the same acclimation process as a guppy.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has me thinking once more on mahachaiensis. It’s a brackish species of the betta splendens complex. They can thrive in full fresh, but I wonder if they can thrive in salt. If I still had mine I’d certainly try.

I did a quick search on B. mahachaiensis and found salinity range of 1.10 to 10.6 ppt, so that would be considered weak brackish at the top end, pH was 6.87 to 7.8.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a quick search on B. mahachaiensis and found salinity range of 1.10 to 10.6 ppt, so that would be considered weak brackish at the top end, pH was 6.87 to 7.8.
Correct that species of Berta would probably do poorly in a reef tank flow, chemistry, and way to higher salinity to what it is use to.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bacteria will convert slowly from what I've read. I'm trying the opposite shifting SW to brackish, maybe settling at 15 to 20 ppt (1.0113 to 1.015). From what I've read nitrobacter shifts at 12 ppt (1.009). Live rock still works at 20ppt (1.015).

Very limited info I can find since no one really does this and most brackish forums still "just add X amount of salt" and don't use refractometers.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria will convert slowly from what I've read. I'm trying the opposite shifting SW to brackish, maybe settling at 15 to 20 ppt (1.0113 to 1.015). From what I've read nitrobacter shifts at 12 ppt (1.009). Live rock still works at 20ppt (1.015).

Very limited info I can find since no one really does this and most brackish forums still "just add X amount of salt" and don't use refractometers.
Shifts as in dies off?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this, you can have leopard puffers and Columbia’s sharks (small catfish) in a reef tank. I had 2 spotted puffers in my reef for years, and had to rehire once my clowns started spawning regularly. They are in a friends reef tank now. The catfish was the best thing for cleaning up as well.

Back