Want to know a little brackish secret.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a gymnothorax polyuranodon moray eel a fish that does well from fresh to salt but naturally moves from fresh to salt in the wild. There is also a landlocked subspecies tha I had that although are true freshwater I believe can be put in brackish and saltwater tanks. If I didn't lose mine due to a heater then I would have tried tl acclimate it to my reef.

I also want to try some brackish to saltwater fish but I don't think they would do well in my lps dominant reef won't flow take out the fancy guppies and mollies?

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow would definitely tire out the long fin species of those fish but the mollies should do fine I had a sliver molly in my sps dominated tank and she did well. And now I have a mixed reef with some zoas, GSP, bubble coral, ricordia mushrooms and an anemone. I had three acropora frags but I left for vacation and well, my family doesn’t know how to does correctly and they added way to much and that killed of my last few acros.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look.

image.jpg

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick fact for all of you, guppies in saltwater will exhibit some different behavior. They will set up “camps” at areas of the tank they will take turns keeping a lookout. “ remember not all fish are the same so some might stick to their regular defense method, sticking together”

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have questions for me just let me know
If you have any questions just ask them.
If you have questions I’ll be happy to answer them.
Well now I will say if you have questions now there are many nice people here that will answer, but I will still answer your questions.
I will answer any further questions you might have
If you have any questions just type it down bellow and I or the other good people will answer it.
If anyone has any questions just type it bellow. We are all nice here.
If anyone has questions just type them down below and I will be happy to answer them.
If anybody has any questions just type them down.
We are all friendly here if you have any questions type them down below.
If you have any questions about the brackish world just type them down below.

But, what should I do if I have questions?

:)

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I drip acclimate guppies overnight like what people do with mollies if the room is naturally warm like summer time temperatures?
So the "assorted fancy guppies" won't do well in my reef just mollies and endler types?

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I drip acclimate guppies overnight like what people do with mollies if the room is naturally warm like summer time temperatures?
So the "assorted fancy guppies" won't do well in my reef just mollies and endler types?
No you really should not do this, maby about 20 years ago you could but now their genes are to mixed up and worn out. They’re not as resilient as they used to be.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reason that could explain the nicer colors of sw than in fw is because Ocean animals have evolved over hundreds of millions of years. Freshwater fish also need good camouflage and most FW fish live in mercy lakes and ponds that are very dark, and if your a bright color fish your just asking to be eaten. Also most sw fish in the hobby live in reefs which are colorful and they need to imitate that environment.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transitioning a fish like mollies or guppies is something you should try, it will first of all have a positive effect on the fish. One effect is that livebarer’s disease, and other bad diseases don’t exist in sw so the fish will be healthier. If you can get them to breed you could slowly try to sell them and bring back their strong genes, so that they become stronger and more resistant. This could really help to bring back the wild population and give their wild cousins a break, and let them repopulate the brackish waters of Central and South America.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In the 70s and 80s, we used mollies who not were only cost effective to start up a marine tank but they’re also one of the best algae eaters you can place in a tank !!

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transitioning a fish like mollies or guppies is something you should try, it will first of all have a positive effect on the fish. One effect is that livebarer’s disease, and other bad diseases don’t exist in sw so the fish will be healthier. If you can get them to breed you could slowly try to sell them and bring back their strong genes, so that they become stronger and more resistant. This could really help to bring back the wild population and give their wild cousins a break, and let them repopulate the brackish waters of Central and South America.
It was my understanding that the vast majority of FW fish are captive bred. Is that not true? I don't know much of anything about FW as I jumped straight to reef tanks.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is will they breed in sw, these are brackish water wish and as far as I know none of these live full time out at sea. I'm currently doing research on this topic including the long term effects of saltwater on reproduction, health and life span. Mostly doing research for the guppies as they are really they only ones worth the hassle IMHO. Mollies are just too dank and although green spotted puffers would be nice they are in no way reef safe if your reef includes shrimp, snails and hermits.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my understanding that the vast majority of FW fish are captive bred. Is that not true? I don't know much of anything about FW as I jumped straight to reef tanks.
Yes that is true most fw fish are captive bred now a days but we’r talking 20 or 30 years compared to the thousands of years they’ve spent in the wild. It takes a while for species to evolve. Even the gold fish has come a long way and I didn’t become to iconic fish it is in 30 years it took hundreds of years of selective breeding to get it where it is now.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is will they breed in sw, these are brackish water wish and as far as I know none of these live full time out at sea. I'm currently doing research on this topic including the long term effects of saltwater on reproduction, health and life span. Mostly doing research for the guppies as they are really they only ones worth the hassle IMHO. Mollies are just too dank and although green spotted puffers would be nice they are in no way reef safe if your reef includes shrimp, snails and hermits.
True that but another reef safe with caution puffer is the figure 8 puffer. The fish should breed but depending on how they are handling the change it could take some time for them to start breeding, but once they start breeding it will seem like there’s a never ending supplies of them they just keep coming out. My molly did breed in my reef but unfortunately all the fry where quickly caught by the clown fish and the anemone. But that just shows it can happen. So try your best and if you can get them breeding you could start selective breeding and slowly get them to regain their original hardiness.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back