Want to know a little brackish secret.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimate guppies because some colors can outcompete saltwater fish and they are really neat.
iu

But seriously, that sucks about your tanks. Losses are never fun. I'm sure you'll get the tanks back up. Keep at it!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
... so if your going to be mean the don’t stick around.

I am not being mean, I just disagree with you and think this is inhumane. I too used to think its ok to keep 80lb boxer in a tiny apartment in NY, until I moved into a house and saw a transformation my dog has gone through - it was simply amazing to watch the dog live a happy life from then on. At that point I realized I was being dismissive and completely wrong when people told me that big dogs don't belong in small apartments.

Guppies don't belong on a reef, regardless of what my or your opinion is.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not being mean, I just disagree with you and think this is inhumane. I too used to think its ok to keep 80lb boxer in a tiny apartment in NY, until I moved into a house and saw a transformation my dog has gone through - it was simply amazing to watch the dog live a happy life from then on. At that point I realized I was being dismissive and completely wrong when people told me that big dogs don't belong in small apartments.

I do agree with you guppies don’t belong in a reef but you could try to look at the positives of a guppy being in a reef. But also guppies don’t belong in freshwater either we just decided that since they could be there, just because they could handle it. Mollies do belong to a reef they can still hold their own and they truly do porly in a regular freshwater aquarium. Mollies love hardy water with higher ph, and one fish that has been found miles out into the sea. I want people to try to care for the saltwater version of these fish so that we can once again have them available in the hobby.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi do you know if there are any reef safe puffers I can acclimate tomorrow salt water as I dig with my moonys ? Thx ☺
Um well there is no completely reef safe puffer out there but there are some reef safe with caution puffers, such example is the green spotted puffer, and the figure 8 puffer. Both take a long time to acclimate but the green spotted puffer is much less aggressive than the figure 8. Both will eat small inverts.

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um well there is no completely reef safe puffer out there but there are some reef safe with caution puffers, such example is the green spotted puffer, and the figure 8 puffer. Both take a long time to acclimate but the green spotted puffer is much less aggressive than the figure 8. Both will eat small inverts.
Thank u. Your a wealth of knowledge . Will look them up see if u can get the green spotted puffer thx

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One more thing to what you said. Clown fish also don’t belong in a reef, they live close to reefs but in the wild they don’t like reefs they live in pods of anemones ( large groups of anemones ). So if you think about it about 30% of the fish we put in our reefs don’t come from reefs so really you dun goofed up. Guru out

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing to what you said. Clown fish also don’t belong in a reef, they live close to reefs but in the wild they don’t like reefs they live in pods of anemones ( large groups of anemones ). So if you think about it about 30% of the fish we put in our reefs don’t come from reefs so really you dun goofed up. Guru out
Just not true, anemone fish although not found commonly in the reef crest do absolutely live in the reef flat and fore reef. If this is an argument about flow false percula and true percula although "poor" swimmers can run circles around any guppy, while clowns arent exactly the Ferraris of the ocean comparing them to a guppy would be like comparing a camaro to a volkswagon bug. They absolutely live in the reef and 100% belong in the ocean.

My biggest problem with this notion is the lack of information on the viability of guppies in saltwater. Randy had a great question that I feel was left un answered.

"Do you know that the fish are not constantly struggling to excrete salt? Do you know that they are not suffering?"

I've tried to find information on the long term effects of saltwater on them and haven't been able to find any articles on it. Not saying the don't exists just I haven't found any. I have found that they prefer pH below 7.5 and although can tolerate high Salinity (even above nsw levels) this is misleading as saltwater fish can tolerate freshwater for periods of time so that's not telling us much. The key here is how long can they tolerate that? Weeks? Months? Years? From my limited research the biggest issue people have with them is flow intolerance wearing them out and all the other fish eating them.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just not true, anemone fish although not found commonly in the reef crest do absolutely live in the reef flat and fore reef. If this is an argument about flow false percula and true percula although "poor" swimmers can run circles around any guppy, while clowns arent exactly the Ferraris of the ocean comparing them to a guppy would be like comparing a camaro to a volkswagon bug. They absolutely live in the reef and 100% belong in the ocean.

My biggest problem with this notion is the lack of information on the viability of guppies in saltwater. Randy had a great question that I feel was left un answered.

"Do you know that the fish are not constantly struggling to excrete salt? Do you know that they are not suffering?"

I've tried to find information on the long term effects of saltwater on them and haven't been able to find any articles on it. Not saying the don't exists just I haven't found any. I have found that they prefer pH below 7.5 and although can tolerate high Salinity (even above nsw levels) this is misleading as saltwater fish can tolerate freshwater for periods of time so that's not telling us much. The key here is how long can they tolerate that? Weeks? Months? Years? From my limited research the biggest issue people have with them is flow intolerance wearing them out and all the other fish eating them.
That sure is true and I really am astonished at how much you know about this, if I had known better I would have let you run this thread. You really are a great person. I understand that what I say isn’t guaranteed true so take my word with a pinch of salt. Thought I have had success with them it is true that I don’t know if they like it or not. But if they have bred in saltwater they must not hate it. But I will rethink my actions thanks for the info and for being nice about it.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Some sharks wander far into freshwater rivers.

With your logic you should work on acclimating those too for use in freshwater tanks </eyes rolled>

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sharks wander far into freshwater rivers.

With your logic you should work on acclimating those too for use in freshwater tanks </eyes rolled>

You mean I can acclimate a bullshark to my pool in the backyard? I see no downside to this

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant I want to ad a few black tip reef sharks to the creek in my back yard. :p
I wouldn't recommend a black tip. I'd go with a bull shark as they have been found dozens of miles up stream. Not sure how fast they got there and how fast they got out put they have been documented to patrol certain streams for days at a time which leads me to believe freshwater is more of an irritant than it is a death sentence for them. Then again it is a bull shark and it's testosterone levels are high enough to get itself pregnant. So it might just be scaring death away with all that machoness.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend a black tip. I'd go with a bull shark as they have been found dozens of miles up stream. Not sure how fast they got there and how fast they got out put they have been documented to patrol certain streams for days at a time which leads me to believe freshwater is more of an irritant than it is a death sentence for them. Then again it is a bull shark and it's testosterone levels are high enough to get itself pregnant. So it might just be scaring death away with all that machoness.

More than likely bull sharks can regulate salt excretion, much like Atlantic salmon, Pacific salmon, or Striped bass. I believe that bull sharks run up rivers to spawn and the little ones live in the rivers for a while.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can now find my new thread on the fish discussion forum. This thread fill be improved and will be filled with as much information as you ask for hope you all check it out and ask many questions.

Back