OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone good day for reefing.... well everyday is a good day for reefing, ask questions stay positive I will answer any questions and read all your thoughts just type them down below and remember, Happy Reefing

biomekanic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the link when my computer crashed, but I saw a thread somewhere with brackwater fish; they're small, silver with a yellow belly, get about 1.5" maybe. And are schooling. Not commonly available. Any idea what they are?

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the link when my computer crashed, but I saw a thread somewhere with brackwater fish; they're small, silver with a yellow belly, get about 1.5" maybe. And are schooling. Not commonly available. Any idea what they are?
From that description my best guess is some time on Kili fish. And if not then maybe a type of goby. Sorry that I could not provide you with the answer you might have been seeking.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware that there are many beginners in the hobby looking for good fish. Well look no further mollies and guppies. I will make a thread eventually on how to acclimate guppies but for the time being mollies will do. They are also the easier of the two, to acclimate them into saltwater you just do a drip acclimation until the salinity of the water the fish is in matches the salinity of your tank. Then you simply add them in, mollies are beneficial and a great centerpiece fish. They come in many colors so be aware of what you get. I recommend mollies of the genus Latipina, They are the hardiest of the mollies. They also come in a much larger variety, like the sailfin, lyretail, and the balloon. They come in many colors and patterns such as orange, black, white, grey, spotted, striped, dalmatian, pear, and marble. The sailfin variety being my favorite due to their, well large dorsal fin which they use to attract females and to defend their territory. They can be a great centerpiece fish for a nano tank. usually larger tanks mean larger livestock and while these fish have been found to be as large as 7 inches long they are on the small side, and will be pummeled by tangs and other large fish. Another good thing about these fish is that they are live bearers which means they will breed and give birth to live free swimming fish. It can be cool to see the little babies but in a Reef tank they will just end up being food for fish and coral, as the parents will eat their young. Well hope you find this information useful have a good day and remember, Happy Reefing

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would add a pic of a molly in my old reef.
PB040002.JPG

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing a project to create hardy saltwater guppies to then give out to my LFS to see if they can sell them. It starts by breeding guppies in low end brackish water, then raising the salinity by 0.001 specific gravity with every generation until they reach full marine then continue to breed them in full marine for a year. Finally I will select only short fin guppies for this process, so that they don't have any issues swimming. My goal is for beginners to have a nice small community fish. I see it no differently than how we turned a wolf into a chihuahua.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have worked very hard and i estimate the first batch will be completed in 14 months. I also choose the ratios that I did because that is the least amount of transitional time to reduce deformities due to salt exposure. so these will have the same deformation ratio as freshwater guppies. ( Hopefully ) This is why I do tests. But I concluded that these guppies will be better off in saltwater than freshwater guppies transitioned over a period of a month. In conclusion if all goes correctly these guppies could be a new addition to the hobby and a good one too.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing a project to create hardy saltwater guppies to then give out to my LFS to see if they can sell them. It starts by breeding guppies in low end brackish water, then raising the salinity by 0.001 specific gravity with every generation until they reach full marine then continue to breed them in full marine for a year. Finally I will select only short fin guppies for this process, so that they don't have any issues swimming. My goal is for beginners to have a nice small community fish. I see it no differently than how we turned a wolf into a chihuahua.
Why not just breed the grey wild types because all the others don't belong in saltwater anyway.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have worked very hard and i estimate the first batch will be completed in 14 months. I also choose the ratios that I did because that is the least amount of transitional time to reduce deformities due to salt exposure. so these will have the same deformation ratio as freshwater guppies. ( Hopefully ) This is why I do tests. But I concluded that these guppies will be better off in saltwater than freshwater guppies transitioned over a period of a month. In conclusion if all goes correctly these guppies could be a new addition to the hobby and a good one too.
How would you go about adding genetic diversity down the line? Seems like after enough generations to acclimate them to reef salinity, they'd all look like Habsburgs...

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just breed the grey wild types because all the others don't belong in saltwater anyway.
true but if I wanted grey dull colors I might as well just get mollies. I would like for people to have something nice and small for nano tanks these fish will not be recommended for larger systems over 100 gallons.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you go about adding genetic diversity down the line? Seems like after enough generations to acclimate them to reef salinity, they'd all look like Habsburgs...
I started with about 10 pairs all genetically distinct, but I do see the issue with this eventually they will all be genetically related so I do plan on doing that to better their abilities in saltwater.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true but if I wanted grey dull colors I might as well just get mollies. I would like for people to have something nice and small for nano tanks these fish will not be recommended for larger systems over 100 gallons.

Well I don't think this will work only because I have always failed in past attempts to acclimate guppies into saltwater. I had a 100% failure rate. My lionfish may have had an impact on their survival? :p

I started in this aquarium hobby as a result of guppy exposure from my kind and gentle teacher, Mrs. Slawt (sp?). She gave away free guppies from her classroom aquarium bowl to her kindergarten pupils who could provide a home for them.
Guppies and mollies are very beautiful fish, imo and i wouldn't worry too much about genetic diversity among already inbred or artificially selected fishes. The progenitors were opportunistic invaders during rising water events and often became isolated as the waters receded, and yet they are still viable today. They seem to have been adapted already to population isolation, perhaps making them excellent candidates for this kind of manipulation.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't think this will work only because I have always failed in past attempts to acclimate guppies into saltwater. I had a 100% failure rate. My lionfish may have had an impact on their survival? :p

I started in this aquarium hobby as a result of guppy exposure from my kind and gentle teacher, Mrs. Slawt (sp?). She gave away free guppies from her classroom aquarium bowl to her kindergarten pupils who could provide a home for them.
Guppies and mollies are very beautiful fish, imo and i wouldn't worry too much about genetic diversity among already inbred or artificially selected fishes. The progenitors were opportunistic invaders during rising water events and often became isolated as the waters receded, and yet they are still viable today. They seem to have been adapted already to population isolation, perhaps making them excellent candidates for this kind of manipulation.

giphy.gif
I believe it is possible and a viable alternative to fish like chromis and damsels. Guppies might not school but they still, do stick together and i once had a guppy that tried to burry its self because it saw my wrasse do it. They have tons of personality when alone. In a group though they aren't as individually interesting.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back