Want to know a little brackish secret.

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted monos but they are too large for me but they do look very cool in a group and I wish you good luck.

They swim together most times... and have doubled in size in 4 months
F0CE1D8F-E245-43D8-99DB-B3ABA85304C8.jpeg

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS recently got 4 for their large tank at the front of the store, and I was mesmerized by their silver lateraly compressed body. And yours look very beautiful and healthy.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They swim together most times... and have doubled in size in 4 months
F0CE1D8F-E245-43D8-99DB-B3ABA85304C8.jpeg
I think they knock over corals same with large tangs unsure if you have any corals. I think scats tend to be used a lot in saltwater tanks that have mono's and to be honest scats and monos can help fill out a larger tank without spending too much on stuff like angels and tangs.

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they knock over corals same with large tangs unsure if you have any corals. I think scats tend to be used a lot in saltwater tanks that have mono's and to be honest scats and monos can help fill out a larger tank without spending too much on stuff like angels and tangs.

So far they haven’t knocked over any frags etc. They are less boisterous than my tangs.. and I have 10 tangs in my tank. They seem to keep the back glass clear of any algae and clean up any leftover food etc. In fact I’m a little worried my fighting conchs will starve because no food seems to make it to sand these days.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Announcement: I have hit a road bump it has gotten pretty cold here in California, and we had some strong winds and unfortunately my heater for my out door makeshift pond has failed. I lost a large majority of my low end brackish guppies. This is a heavy blow as these were going to add more genetic variation. I will have to purchase more, my project has been held back by the horrible and unpredictable weather of California. Though on the bright side I have gotten a new tank for housing. I also now have the first batch earlier than expected so that is good. I will be posting photos of the guppies in my main display later this week so look out for that. If you have any questions or concerns please contact me and I will try my best to answer them. If you have Instagram make sure to go follow me at, Reefing_aqua89 I will post early photos and updates of my Tanks and the Guppy project. Thanks for the support and remember, Happy Reefing.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Announcement: I have hit a road bump it has gotten pretty cold here in California, and we had some strong winds and unfortunately my heater for my out door makeshift pond has failed. I lost a large majority of my low end brackish guppies. This is a heavy blow as these were going to add more genetic variation. I will have to purchase more, my project has been held back by the horrible and unpredictable weather of California. Though on the bright side I have gotten a new tank for housing. I also now have the first batch earlier than expected so that is good. I will be posting photos of the guppies in my main display later this week so look out for that. If you have any questions or concerns please contact me and I will try my best to answer them. If you have Instagram make sure to go follow me at, Reefing_aqua89 I will post early photos and updates of my Tanks and the Guppy project. Thanks for the support and remember, Happy Reefing.
New profile pic.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There I have changed my Profile picture to a yellow cobra guppy. I personal do not have any cobra guppies, I do have snakeskin guppies and they will be the next batch of guppies going into saltwater. I have also begun to shorten the acclimation process from fresh to salt, mainly because the old system was not very time efficient, and of the about 60 or so guppies I started with only about 34 survived. This shows that the guppies aren't very good for saltwater right now. The reason I am doing this is to make a large number of guppies in saltwater. I am probably contradicting myself right now but I really don't recommend trying to acclimate guppies into saltwater, If you do want to I would recommend the largest possible container for housing. I am using two 30 gallon mixing tubs from home depot. I also use large 15 gallon trash containers for them. If you are going to indeed try to acclimate guppies into saltwater use the guppy acclimation guide on this thread, DO NOT use the acclimation I am using for my project. It is too long and It is made for really large numbers of guppies. But if you are also going to acclimate on a large scale than yes you can use what I am currently using. Overall my project was a semi-success. I lost many guppies during this process, but I did get some out of this. I have now seen what I have done wrong, I can use this to prepare myself for the second batch. of guppies. Hopefully the second batch will do way better, I need the second batch t add genetic diversity into the mix. This project has also not been cheap, The water, electricity, equipment, containers, and the salt. I purchased about 8 bags of salt by Kent. each bag can mix about 50 gallons of saltwater at about 1.026 specific Gravity. This project did not come out of the blue, it took me a while to get the money and space to do this. I do this so that I can make the mistakes, then fix them so that you don't have to. If I do overcome I would like people to try this as well. My plan is to eventually purchase a facility and begin breeding saltwater guppies on a larger scale, but I still haven't finished the test runs yet so it'll be a while before that happens. Thanks for your constant support have a good day and remember, Happy Reefing. #Reefguppies

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There I have changed my Profile picture to a yellow cobra guppy. I personal do not have any cobra guppies, I do have snakeskin guppies and they will be the next batch of guppies going into saltwater. I have also begun to shorten the acclimation process from fresh to salt, mainly because the old system was not very time efficient, and of the about 60 or so guppies I started with only about 34 survived. This shows that the guppies aren't very good for saltwater right now. The reason I am doing this is to make a large number of guppies in saltwater. I am probably contradicting myself right now but I really don't recommend trying to acclimate guppies into saltwater, If you do want to I would recommend the largest possible container for housing. I am using two 30 gallon mixing tubs from home depot. I also use large 15 gallon trash containers for them. If you are going to indeed try to acclimate guppies into saltwater use the guppy acclimation guide on this thread, DO NOT use the acclimation I am using for my project. It is too long and It is made for really large numbers of guppies. But if you are also going to acclimate on a large scale than yes you can use what I am currently using. Overall my project was a semi-success. I lost many guppies during this process, but I did get some out of this. I have now seen what I have done wrong, I can use this to prepare myself for the second batch. of guppies. Hopefully the second batch will do way better, I need the second batch t add genetic diversity into the mix. This project has also not been cheap, The water, electricity, equipment, containers, and the salt. I purchased about 8 bags of salt by Kent. each bag can mix about 50 gallons of saltwater at about 1.026 specific Gravity. This project did not come out of the blue, it took me a while to get the money and space to do this. I do this so that I can make the mistakes, then fix them so that you don't have to. If I do overcome I would like people to try this as well. My plan is to eventually purchase a facility and begin breeding saltwater guppies on a larger scale, but I still haven't finished the test runs yet so it'll be a while before that happens. Thanks for your constant support have a good day and remember, Happy Reefing. #Reefguppies
Are those 34 guppies fully in saltwater? If they are I suppose we better know how they are doing once they breed. I guess genetic diversity might be best maintained by getting guppies from say 3 different pet stores and a few different online sources. Plus a few different varieties however a few of the very different varieties may be best initially.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those 34 guppies fully in saltwater? If they are I suppose we better know how they are doing once they breed. I guess genetic diversity might be best maintained by getting guppies from say 3 different pet stores and a few different online sources. Plus a few different varieties however a few of the very different varieties may be best initially.
Yeah it is 34 in full marine. And yes I do get all my guppies from different stores at a time. I will be monitoring them and when they breed I will update you guys on that.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Announcement: Unfortunately my project has taken a swift turn to the south. Many guppies have died shortly after introducing them into my main display, I do not know why this might have exactly happened but I have filed it down to three possibilities. First is water chemistry, second is stress, and the third possibility is aggression. I have been having moral conflicts due to this as I began to contemplate just not doing a second part to this project. But after much deliberation I decided to begin with the second batch. They should be ready in about 6 months, in this time I will be giving updates here and on my Instagram. Thought this next batch will also be including Moscow guppies for their hardiness and larger size and bulk.This whole thing has not been going to plan I have at times seen so many dead guppies that I begin to feel really bad. because they didn't decide to be a part of this project, they were selected by chance. I will continue to update you all on this have a good day and remember, Happy Reefing. #Reefguppies

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the only survivors of the 60 that I started with. This was a much anticipated project of mine and all of that for this. But this isn't a total loss, I have learned and fixed all of my mistakes for the next batch.
20201102_102440.jpg

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I hope you are all having a good day, I would just like to say that I met a wonderful person who has a small business and has fallen into some hard times and I just wanted to put a link to his go fund me page in the hopes of anyone being able to donate just a bit. https://gf.me/u/y6dgiw

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any beginners just starting out in the hobby and wondering what fish they should add to their tanks, I recommend mollies. Mollies come in many colors and patterns, many people put them aside due too them being a "noob fish", but the truth is that they can be very beautiful additions to a marine tank. They are medium sized fish, they are social colorful, and active. They are know to be kept in tanks with shy fish because they are so active, If the shy fish sees that the other fish are out and about with no worries, the shy fish will come out a little more. These Fish are great and If I had sailfin mollies I would have them in all my tanks. They are Great and the acclimation process is very easy, consisting of just a drip acclimation until the salinity matches your tank. Thanks for reading and being here, I hope you all found this useful and remember, Happy Reefing.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my reef tank at 1 year of age
My current stocking is, Coral beauty angelfish, bahngai cardinal fish, 4 guppies, a lawnmower blenny, skunk cleaner shrimp, and a clean up crew of about 15 turbo snails and a 5 red legged hermit crabs. I have powerful filtration to keep up with the livestock, once I get the money I'll get a sump for this tank.

Attachments

• 20210108_110827.jpg
    20210108_110827.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 24

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back