Want to purchase an RO/DI unit? Read this first! [8/2020]

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are...a lot of options for purchasing an RO/DI unit. Especially if you're trying to cut costs. Therefore, I present to you a semi-comprehensive list of RODI units, and their replacement parts, complete with prices and hyperlinks to where you can buy everything! Currently [8/2020], I'm only analyzing the 4-stage RO/DI filters, and nothing else. Maybe in the future I'll add some pages for 5-stage and up filters, but a lot of newer reefers only go for a 4-stage filter; as an owner of an AquaFX Barracuda, that was the option that I chose.

Also, if the media isn't working, here's a link to it (just remove the spaces):
https: //docs.google.com /spreadsheets/d/ 1QSU2NRJ6Mpl0IUPEU_dfDIze7kRu8I5vv9__GC8V498/edit?usp=sharing

If I've missed a filter, feel free to provide a link to it so I can add it to the list! I'm hoping I can get it relatively comprehensive so that people don't have to scour the internet to find the best steals! If you have questions, feel free to let me know as well!

Finally, if you're going to cite this, please give credit where credit is due and mention me!

Last edited:

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be very helpful to newbs like me. I am in the process of picking out a new unit. I currently have an RO buddy that came with the used tank I bought. when I do a water change atm I always get a little bit of diatom growth that goes away over the course of a week. So I was thinking of going with a 5 stage just to be sure.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question is how efficient each unit is and that's largely dependent on the media quality. I got the AquaLife Buddie due to living in an apartment where I cannot modify the plumbing because it comes with an adapter for standard faucets. When my new home is finished I'll likely put it in my laundry room and modify it with a new chamber or two. I purchased the 2L AquaticLife Resin for $30. I figure it improved the value by at least 30%.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question is how efficient each unit is and that's largely dependent on the media quality. I got the AquaLife Buddie due to living in an apartment where I cannot modify the plumbing because it comes with an adapter for standard faucets. When my new home is finished I'll likely put it in my laundry room and modify it with a new chamber or two. I purchased the 2L AquaticLife Resin for $30. I figure it improved the value by at least 30%.

And that's why I added in information about the various filters that each RODI unit is "supposed" to be paired with! That way you can compare/contrast the sediment filter, carbon filter, and DI resin, although I haven't found a good metric to use for DI resin just yet...

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are...a lot of options for purchasing an RO/DI unit. Especially if you're trying to cut costs. Therefore, I present to you a semi-comprehensive list of RODI units, and their replacement parts, complete with prices and hyperlinks to where you can buy everything! Currently [8/2020], I'm only analyzing the 4-stage RO/DI filters, and nothing else. Maybe in the future I'll add some pages for 5-stage and up filters, but a lot of newer reefers only go for a 4-stage filter; as an owner of an AquaFX Barracuda, that was the option that I chose.

https: //docs.google.com /spreadsheets/d/ 1QSU2NRJ6Mpl0IUPEU_dfDIze7kRu8I5vv9__GC8V498/edit?usp=sharing

If I've missed a filter, feel free to provide a link to it so I can add it to the list! I'm hoping I can get it relatively comprehensive so that people don't have to scour the internet to find the best steals! If you have questions, feel free to let me know as well!

Finally, if you're going to cite this, please give credit where credit is due and mention me!

I suggest you add the various units from AirWaterIce and Buckeye Hydro as well as the warranties for all. I went with AirWaterIce because of the lifetime warranty and lower shipping cost. Also, the customer service was good and they offered a good price for the add on drinking water system.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you add the various units from AirWaterIce and Buckeye Hydro as well as the warranties for all. I went with AirWaterIce because of the lifetime warranty and lower shipping cost. Also, the customer service was good and they offered a good price for the add on drinking water system.
Thanks for the recommendations! I added in the Value System for the BuckEyes, and the AirWaterIce Cyclone, since those were the most applicable ones.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to not include warranties, since those can get complicated. I'm just sticking to the prices of the units and their replacement components as the filters age.

JaneAD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

THANK YOU!! This was a very informative summary which I am sure took LOTS of time.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww shucks, no worries! It did take me a few hours to get it finished, but I felt it was necessary since there's so many units!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back