Want to set up 1-5 gallon tank. Tank and lighting suggestions or general advice???

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so recently I have been thinking about setting up another tank more specifically the smallest in my fleet. Looking to set up a 1 to 5 gallon tank that could house some gsp and rock flower anenomes and some inverts, no fish. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on tanks or where I could get a small tank of the size of about 1 gallon. I know of plenty 5 gallon tanks like the picses kits but haven't seen any smaller anywhere.

I was also wondering if there are plenty of name brand lights out there that could work for this tank, but the cheapest I can think of is the Kessil A80. Does anyone have any suggestions of cheaper and more compact lights for such an aquarium. Probably looking for a light that can reach 50 par and under.

Also any other advice anyone would give.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Noopsych (older model) on my 6g and it grows my leathers and lps fine. I only have it on the second (of 4) setting (I did not get the controller piece) everything does great.
I also really like the NICREW Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks from Amazon I got. It is easy to use too.
The smaller light I have also from amazon is this little guy Lominie LED Aquarium Light, Full Spectrum P150 Marine Fish Tank Light with Remote Control 4 Channels Dimmable for Saltwater Coral Reef Aquarium Tank Supports WiFi Controller (P150 150W Saltwater). I use it at programs when traveling. It is not powerful enough for the tank full time, but for a 1g it would be fine.

As far as tanks, you can get some cute AIO or just a tank with a HOB. I like my Fluval Edge, but not for tank that sits in one place. Too hard to keep top glass clean. The Evos would be better.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so recently I have been thinking about setting up another tank more specifically the smallest in my fleet. Looking to set up a 1 to 5 gallon tank that could house some gsp and rock flower anenomes and some inverts, no fish. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on tanks or where I could get a small tank of the size of about 1 gallon. I know of plenty 5 gallon tanks like the picses kits but haven't seen any smaller anywhere.

I was also wondering if there are plenty of name brand lights out there that could work for this tank, but the cheapest I can think of is the Kessil A80. Does anyone have any suggestions of cheaper and more compact lights for such an aquarium. Probably looking for a light that can reach 50 par and under.

Also any other advice anyone would give.

@Tenecor Aquariums has a nice new AIO nano tank line in different styles.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tenecor Aquariums has a nice new AIO nano tank line in different styles.

Screenshot_20220410-183021.png
Screenshot_20220410-182947.png

OP
OP
fishski13

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Noopsych (older model) on my 6g and it grows my leathers and lps fine. I only have it on the second (of 4) setting (I did not get the controller piece) everything does great.
I also really like the NICREW Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks from Amazon I got. It is easy to use too.
The smaller light I have also from amazon is this little guy Lominie LED Aquarium Light, Full Spectrum P150 Marine Fish Tank Light with Remote Control 4 Channels Dimmable for Saltwater Coral Reef Aquarium Tank Supports WiFi Controller (P150 150W Saltwater). I use it at programs when traveling. It is not powerful enough for the tank full time, but for a 1g it would be fine.

As far as tanks, you can get some cute AIO or just a tank with a HOB. I like my Fluval Edge, but not for tank that sits in one place. Too hard to keep top glass clean. The Evos would be better.
Thanks for the input, will make sure to check those out.

OP
OP
fishski13

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add fish if you wanted, like a neon goby or clown goby.
I probably wont, I dont think less than 5 gallons of water is sufficient enough for any fish to live in for the rest of their life. Only things I would put in there would be a shrimp and small inverts.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried any of these tanks? I have never heard of this company?

I have the crowd sourced nano they did. It's been changed up a bit. Mine was a 12x12 cube. The new style has a 12x12 display with a 4" AIO section. So larger overall capacity, and size.

I have been happy with it. I ordered a peninsula 17, my understanding is it's shipping this week.

The nano size is new for them and they are getting better with product/quality aesthetics on these tanks as they make more.

I'm looking forward to seeing the peninsula later this week!

PicoSRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the crowd sourced nano they did. It's been changed up a bit. Mine was a 12x12 cube. The new style has a 12x12 display with a 4" AIO section. So larger overall capacity, and size.

I have been happy with it. I ordered a peninsula 17, my understanding is it's shipping this week.

The nano size is new for them and they are getting better with product/quality aesthetics on these tanks as they make more.

thanks for the reply, I am looking at setting up a pico reef to take to grad school with me... have been looking and the mainland portrait 5, but I don't like the setup of the back filtration as there are not separate chambers, so I considered removing the back wall and using a sachem tidal instead... but this 6 gallon tank by tenecor is a good option too. any thoughts?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply, I am looking at setting up a pico reef to take to grad school with me... have been looking and the mainland portrait 5, but I don't like the setup of the back filtration as there are not separate chambers, so I considered removing the back wall and using a sachem tidal instead... but this 6 gallon tank by tenecor is a good option too. any thoughts?

What is your max size for the tank footprint? 12x12, 20x15, etc.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

It wasn't really crowd-sourced; they asked for suggestions for the 'perfect' AIO and then ignored all of the responses.

Edited to add: I went with a Lifegard 3.8 in the end and I'm happy with it.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't really crowd-sourced; they asked for suggestions for the 'perfect' AIO and then ignored all of the responses.

Edited to add: I went with a Lifegard 3.8 in the end and I'm happy with it.

My understanding is yes they took some of the feedback, and applied. Released the tanks took additional feedback and have tweaked them more.

Im curious to see the changes in the peninsula 17 when it arrives.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a stand for a previous tank I had that is 12x16 I think

This would fit that size, but the render is off. The dimensions don't match the site render, that's from the 12" cube. Which has been changed to be a 12"x12" display area.

The one part I really enjoy that seems to be often overlooked on AIOs is the back or sump portion. Is always way to small with no room for equipment, cleaning, etc. These have easily accessible sumps.

I know @Tenecor Aquariums has stated they were going to replace renders with actual photos. I'm not sure what the time line is for everything.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back