Want to set up 1-5 gallon tank. Tank and lighting suggestions or general advice???

PicoSRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This would fit that size, but the render is off. The dimensions don't match the site render, that's from the 12" cube. Which has been changed to be a 12"x12" display area.

The one part I really enjoy that seems to be often overlooked on AIOs is the back or sump portion. Is always way to small with no room for equipment, cleaning, etc. These have easily accessible sumps.

I know @Tenecor Aquariums has stated they were going to replace renders with actual photos. I'm not sure what the time line is for everything
would you be willing to post some pics of the build quality of your 17 when it arrives?
I really like the look of this 6 gallon, I just read several horror stories from this brand, but it appears that they changed hands again, and it has improved.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you be willing to post some pics of the build quality of your 17 when it arrives?
I really like the look of this 6 gallon, I just read several horror stories from this brand, but it appears that they changed hands again, and it has improved.

Can do. My understanding is it has changed hands back to the original owners, and they are working on bringing back the quality to the name that they were known for years ago. That's the impression I get reading the blog 'about us' post on the site.

PicoSRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This would fit that size, but the render is off. The dimensions don't match the site render, that's from the 12" cube. Which has been changed to be a 12"x12" display area.

The one part I really enjoy that seems to be often overlooked on AIOs is the back or sump portion. Is always way to small with no room for equipment, cleaning, etc. These have easily accessible sumps.

I know @Tenecor Aquariums has stated they were going to replace renders with actual photos. I'm not sure what the time line is for everything.
I wish they made media baskets for this tank, that would be super convenient.

PicoSRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can do. My understanding is it has changed hands back to the original owners, and they are working on bringing back the quality to the name that they were known for years ago. That's the impression I get reading the blog 'about us' post on the site.
I ready the same blog post, its the impression I got as well

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My understanding is yes they took some of the feedback, and applied. Released the tanks took additional feedback and have tweaked them more.

Im curious to see the changes in the peninsula 17 when it arrives.

Well I was the trigger for that thread (and Tenecor's foray into nano aquariums) so I was there from the beginning.

My opinion differs. IMO their tanks were rushed, not fully thought out and they didn't listen to the advice that they were given. The rushing was proven (IMO) by the fact that some of the first tanks released were sub-standard, and some people didn't even get the tanks they ordered.

I was excited when they first advertised their plans, but that quickly turned to disappointment. Despite their product being introduced as a result of me not being able to find the tank that I wanted, I didn't end up ordering a Tenecor tank and I have no plans to do so.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was the trigger for that thread (and Tenecor's foray into nano aquariums) so I was there from the beginning.

My opinion differs. IMO their tanks were rushed, not fully thought out and they didn't listen to the advice that they were given. The rushing was proven (IMO) by the fact that some of the first tanks released were sub-standard, and some people didn't even get the tanks they ordered.

I was excited when they first advertised their plans, but that quickly turned to disappointment. Despite their product being introduced as a result of me not being able to find the tank that I wanted, I didn't end up ordering a Tenecor tank and I have no plans to do so.

No doubt there were some problems with that initial run. My tank wasn't perfect, but for a sub $50 tank, I can't complain to much.

Time will tell what they learned from that, one of the reasons I'm curious to see the changes, and how they have applied feedback that was given.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ready the same blog post, its the impression I got as well
Good morning. Yes, Tenecor is now back under the original (1979) owner's management. Over the next few months you will see many new products from us, including our newest line of frag tanks and drop in glass tank conversion kits.

About the nanos. We thought it would be fun and interesting to get everyone involved in designing a new line of small AIO tanks. The open source effort resulted in a completely new line of small HushFlow™ aquariums. As as we stated repeatedly on the threads, these were first generation prototypes intended to for evaluation purposes. We offered them at up to 90% off regular selling prices with a 90 day moneyback on even that low amount. Some testers paid as little as $12 for their tanks. Including shipping. Again, prototypes. The rollout was a resounding success. In addition to the intro offer we sold several hundred of them (2nd generation) at full retail with about a 4% rate of return/quality issues.

Some of the highlights of what we learned from the open source effort:
1) Larger sumps/filter chambers are desirable. The original cube had a 4 inch wide AIO and only 6 inches of swim space. looked a little out of proportion. We changed the footprint with a larger AIO and larger swim area. Now all of the Hushflow™ Nanos have 5 inch wide AIO's (except the smallest cubes at 4 inches).
2) Thinner walls, integrated tops. We have a tendency to overengineer our tanks, with thicker acrylics. The first generation was made with .237 (1/4) inch walls and open tops with bent front corners. Bending and forming small tanks like this from thicker acrylic is not easy and special fixtures are required. It can be done but at a higher cost. It was something we wanted to try. The resulting tank walls were extremely overengineered with the thick walls. The 2nd generation had thinner walls with an integrated top. The walls are still more than adequate and the tanks have close to zero deflection/bowing. The integrated top also let us do some interesting things with the lids. See next.
3) Recessed unbreakable one piece Lexan® lids. The lids are truly amazing. We spent a lot of time working on the lid design and the feedback we are getting is overwhelmingly positive. They are made from very thin unbreakable Lexan® and sit flush in a CNC machined recessed top. Pretty cool.
4) One piece ABS AIO cover with cord cutouts. The AIO section is now covered with light blocking CNC machined ABS lid. This is separate from the swim area lid.
5) Loc-line return hose assembly with flow control valve. The original design had only a threaded bulkhead and was intended for DIY configuration. We buy lots and lots of Loc-line and decided to include this also. More on what's included further down.
6) Pumps. A few contributors focused singularly on price and wanted a cheap cheap cheap tank. At Tenecor, this is not what we do. Our products are premium and we rather leave the low price business to others. Premium means expectations are higher and a cheap throw away pump does reflect well on the brand. That is why all the HushFlow™ Nanos are kitted with industry leading Sicce Micra Plus 158GPH pumps. Sicce is our preferred brand and all of our tanks including the largest custom fabrications include them unless the client requests something else.
7) Media cups. The third (current) generation of these Nanos are designed for media baskets or filter socks. Your choice. You can even forego both and use a sponge. The media basket is included along with open matrix polyester filter balls. The filter sock is not included.
8) Lighting. We are in the process of evaluating different lighting options including some monster 700 Watt systems. Lighting is an area we will be focusing on. Since we sell these Nanos as freshwater and saltwater both, the saltwater lighting is not included in the package.
9) Accessories/startup bundles. Another area we are moving into is supplies/additives. >>> https://tenecoraquariums.com/collections/supplies-view-all. We will be offering optional startup bundles with these little tanks as well as our larger packages.

Other matters
As of this writing, we are sitting on an extremely large order (3 month) backlog of custom tanks and filters. Our business is bifurcated between large tanks (350+ gallons) and small tanks/fabs (nanos, ato reservoirs). We reduced our second shift and let the backlog grow and focus more on these little tanks. Instead of building on the same lines as the large ones, dedicated stations are being built for these. Another challenge we have been dealing with is finding new space. More on that later.

In Conclusion
The open source Nano tank effort was an unqualified success. Great input from everyone. How successful was it? You can see for yourself. Google "AIO Nano tank" under the shopping tab and see how our nanos come up in organic results. No advertising. just organic google results. You can try the same with "ATO Reservoir", "Frag tank" and "aluminum aquarium stand". Please stay tuned for our new frags. They are next.

PicoSRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your tank ship?

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so recently I have been thinking about setting up another tank more specifically the smallest in my fleet. Looking to set up a 1 to 5 gallon tank that could house some gsp and rock flower anenomes and some inverts, no fish. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on tanks or where I could get a small tank of the size of about 1 gallon. I know of plenty 5 gallon tanks like the picses kits but haven't seen any smaller anywhere.

I was also wondering if there are plenty of name brand lights out there that could work for this tank, but the cheapest I can think of is the Kessil A80. Does anyone have any suggestions of cheaper and more compact lights for such an aquarium. Probably looking for a light that can reach 50 par and under.

Also any other advice anyone would give.
Petco and walmart have plenty of small tanks like that

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your tank ship?

Sorry, I just saw this, missed the notification earlier.

Yes my tank did ship and it has arrived. I've started an early build thread for it which is linked to the build thread badge by my username.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back