Want to start a discussion on overstocking tanks

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those people just like having a living furniture in there tiny living room.

I'll always remember a famous quote from those 'experts': " I'm not afraid of fish dying, I'm only afraid of not have enough money to buy new fish."

However nothing will change there minds.
Most chinese people don't consider fish as pet, they are just food.

Last edited:

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not done until it’s over done! I had 47 fish in a 225, with 250 corals. Only a protein skimmer and carbon reactor. Old school with T5s and water changes. Today everything is easier. If you like it, it is right. Your corals will tell you what they think! Have fun. Smile and enjoy R2R and your beautiful reef!

Gifts from God and Mother Nature.

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size/temperament of the fish and the size of the tank. It's riskier bioload wise to have an overstocked tank so if you don't have the filtration for it don't bother. Then there's the territory fights.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this considered overstocked?
Not my tank.
This is a typical fish only tank in Hong Kong.
That's also considered as the expert level fish keeping here in HK.

Screenshot_20190705-202316.png
Actually - this is an interesting question. or couple of questions. To me - it would be too 'busy'. But - It looks like a picture of an actual reef. Granted on an actual reef there would ve thousands of gallons of water for fish to escape to. But - the volume of fish probably means there is little aggression.

As I said above - they must have a huge filtration system. Much of the 'guesswork' we do about whether fish are 'happy' or 'not' is probably just that - guesswork. I think the fish in this tank probably are 'ok' physiologically, socially and etc. I wonder though -the size of the tank - and the filter. Also - would love to see a video - aggression-wise

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically speaking they are using tons of Sera siparox for ammonia removal.
There is very low aggression because there is just too many fish and no place to hide or territorial.

I just saw this tank on youtube:

Last edited:

Easy E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think overstocking greatly increases the chance that something might go wrong. Crowded fish can become stressed, and more susceptible to disease as a result. Plus, a higher bioload generally requires more maintenance. Most who achieve long-term success with an overstocked tank have a lot of experience and expertise. Adding too many fish has always led to disaster for me.

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not much study about highly overstocked fish tanks long-term results in fish health.
All the people I know that keep tons of fish in a tank don't keep the tank longer than 3 years.
One person keeps 80(relatively big fishes) in a 40" tank.
They all get bored and re-start the tank, or a tank crash killed all there fish.
Or get too frustrated by fish keeps dying, and run out of money.
If anyone know a super overstocked tank longer than 10 years, please share with us about the fish health.

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have alot of fish in a 90G, 14 total and alot of coral, I dont consider it overstocked just well stocked. Fish are all a good size, healthy, no fights, deaths, etc... If you have good filtration you can have alot more fish than people believe is successfully possible. Also being in the hobby for over 30 years also helps having good results.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have alot of fish in a 90G, 14 total and alot of coral, I dont consider it overstocked just well stocked. Fish are all a good size, healthy, no fights, deaths, etc... If you have good filtration you can have alot more fthan people believe is successfully possible. Also being in the hobby for over 30 years also helps having good results.
do you mind sharing your fish list? always wonder if i am overstocked? thx

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have alot of fish in a 90G, 14 total and alot of coral, I dont consider it overstocked just well stocked. Fish are all a good size, healthy, no fights, deaths, etc... If you have good filtration you can have alot more fish than people believe is successfully possible. Also being in the hobby for over 30 years also helps having good results.
I have 6 fish in my 25 lagoon. It honestly just kind of happened I was only planning on 5 but they're all little guys and one is a sand dweller who lives under the rocks. I've never had nitrate problems (other than too little N) because I run a fuge in the back chamber. If I did it again I would do one less but my own tank and the one I saw yesterday made me think to pose this question to the greater community.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 fish in a 32g and I’m done. Mostly corals and nems for me.

I have the same in a 29 gallon tank, pair of adult percula clowns and a sixline wrasse. The sixline is still small and expect would grow more. I can't see putting more fish in there unless they were tiny and stayed tiny. Once corals start to fill in the spaces there is less room to roam.

My thoughts are if you hypothetically set up a 10 gallon tank with rock and corals...how much space is left for one fish two to three inches long that doesn't swim a lot?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 fish in my 750xxl, 4 more in QT. I overfeed which i believe is causing my N and P issue. Still figuring out how to keep those in check without chemicals. All corals doing fine though.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 16 fish in my 90ish gallon tank, some are bennies, some are rock/cave dwellers, mostly wrasses and a couple small tangs. I know it's technically overstocked, but all fish are fat and happy, no fighting and my water quality Is always pretty clean. <5 nitrates and about .08ish in phosphates. I feed 2-3 times a day. And run a skimmer rated at 250gallons.

My corals are all doing awesome. Softies to sps, I believe the cycle of fish eating and pooping really feeds the corals well but the clean water allows them to not build up on excessive nutrients.

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same in a 29 gallon tank, pair of adult percula clowns and a sixline wrasse. The sixline is still small and expect would grow more. I can't see putting more fish in there unless they were tiny and stayed tiny. Once corals start to fill in the spaces there is less room to roam.

My thoughts are if you hypothetically set up a 10 gallon tank with rock and corals...how much space is left for one fish two to three inches long that doesn't swim a lot?

same. 2 Picasso clowns that own the tank. And cardinal that exists in the shadows lol

Sidius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's a simple answer to this question. There are a lot of variables that need to be considered. As others have stated, one 6" fish does not have the same space/footprint/aggression needs as another 6" fish, so I don't believe it's as simple as "X inches per gallon". I think that everyone has different views on what they consider to be acceptable from a cruelty standpoint. I look at my shrimp goby vs my royal gramma... they are not too far apart in length (at this point) but the goby never leaves it's spot and doesn't need swimming space, whereas my gramma swims around. Let's also not even get started on certain blennies or dragonets, where a small fish can have a large tank requirement if you can't get them eating frozen foods and they rely on pods to eat.

I kept African cichlids for years (I know it's not reef related but hear me out lol) and one of the most effective ways of spreading aggression or giving fish relief from other aggressive fish is to heavily overstock. It's easy for a fish to get lost in the crowd when getting bullied. It not only works, but it's also the most widely accepted way to deal with all the aggression large male cichlids tend to have. Bullied fish are stressed fish and can lead to sickness or not eating. Also, even though all male cichlid tanks are heavily overstocked, most people still consider footprint and the their individual fish's needs for tank length.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 24 in my RSR525, 108 gallon display.

I plan on still adding more, perhaps up to 30. I have them split amongst all areas of the tank. Bottom, rocks, caves, mid level open water, upper level open water.

I feed pellets from an auto feeder 2x per day and a homemade blend of live bacteria rich foods 2x per day.

I run a skimmer, filter socks, 6 liters of matrix, a UV sterilizer, and dose 15ml of homemade NoPox daily.

NO3 always 8-12, PO4 .03-.1.

Nems- H Magnifica, LTA, 2 large rainbow BTA’s, and 3 rock flowers.

1 6” deresa clam.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back