Want to start a Kirkland Club?

RedSand79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am brand spanking new to the Saltwater Reef Tank hobby. I thought a great way to start learning the most is to find a local club in my area, but how the heck are there hardly any clubs here in the Puget Sound area? I live in Kirkland and would love to start a club that meets specifically in Kirkland, sorry to be partial but I think the closer everybody lives to each other, the more willing people are to "travel" for a quick meeting. It won't mean that people who live outside of Kirkland will be excluded, but the meetings would be in Kirkland. This also does not have to be an "official" club per say, and would prefer it to be more on the informal side of things. I am more than happy to host the meetings at my house and I have the space to do so, but when I say that I am new to the hobby, the only thing I have for my tank are the four books I've been reading (and no tank). I'm going to start a 180g tank later this fall, but I want to learn everything I can do things right the first time. These are living creatures and, in my opinion, need to treated with the utmost care and should not be considered disposable.

It would be fine by me even if this were to just end up being a small group of people that can help each other out in times of emergencies, like when the LFS is closed and you need some RO/DI water, or you need someone you can trust to care of your tank during your vacation. I am willing to take the lead for organizing things, and maybe start out only meeting every other month, which is better than what people are doing now. We might even find out we don't even like each other and don't want to meet again, which is fine with me as well, but I really doubt that will be the case. I've read a lot of posts from people who would really like to have a local club and I'm just trying to take a first step and take the reigns to get things started. Or maybe there is already a club like this, if so please let me know (and I'm not talking about the big clubs that are out of Portland or Spokane, but something that is very local and personable). If there is not, then respond to this thread or send me a private message and lets get this going.

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Brier, but Kirkland has the best/closest LFS for me :)
There's a little show today at the Greek Orthodox Church from noon to 5, come say hi!
Also, if you haven't already, Jon the Pacific Northwest Reefkeeping Facebook group!

OP
OP
RedSand79

RedSand79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Brier, but Kirkland has the best/closest LFS for me :)
There's a little show today at the Greek Orthodox Church from noon to 5, come say hi!
Also, if you haven't already, Jon the Pacific Northwest Reefkeeping Facebook group!
Thanks for the invite, but I see there are numerous Greek Orthodox Church locations. Marco . . . ?

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a $10 entry, free for kids. It's helping raise funds for a church project from what I understand. Several vendors are going to be there, so you'll get to see tons and meet lots of people!

OP
OP
RedSand79

RedSand79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a $10 entry, free for kids. It's helping raise funds for a church project from what I understand. Several vendors are going to be there, so you'll get to see tons and meet lots of people!
I'll be there, very cool by chance this opportunity presented itself this same day!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you all joined the Pacific Northwest Reef Keepers on FB? Though I have been looking for more regular meet ups... post covid at this point

Back