Want to switch to Hanna - touch colorblind

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always really struggled reading colors on test kits. I want to switch in an effort to improve consistency in reading results even if Hanna may not be the most accurate. I did a search and read a lot but ended up more confused on the Hanna product line.
Can I please get some opinions on the following-
1) ALK - DKH model or PPM?
2) Phosphate - Low Range model or Phosphorus Ultra Low Range?
3) Calcium - reasonable accuracy?

Thanks in advance

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always really struggled reading colors on test kits. I want to switch in an effort to improve consistency in reading results even if Hanna may not be the most accurate. I did a search and read a lot but ended up more confused on the Hanna product line.

Thanks in advance
1. I use the dKH model for alk. I love it. Highly recommended.
2. I use the ULR. I love it also, it's a bit more involved than the alk checker, and some people struggle with the "checker timeout", but I've refined my technique with this that it isn't a problem for me. Also, if you're and Apex user, when you enter in the number into your measurement log, it automatically converts it to ppm for you, which is nice, no math involved.
3. No experience with the cal checker. Although I've heard they have made improvements to it for better consistency. I currently use Salifert for CA.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the P04 low HI713 for my mixed reef. I would switch to the ULN if I could since I am working towards a ULN tank as I move towards SPS. I had an ICP test done using the same water I tested with the Hanna and the PO4 measure came back exactly the same so the accuracy of the Phosphate Low Checker is proven. I just purchased the dKH HI772 and I am looking forward to moving off the titration method for Alkalinity.

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that the Calcium checker is only as inaccurate because it is difficult to get the all the regent packet. It is no fault of the checker.
You must be meticulous with the calcium checker.

OP
OP
Gmj4409

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance

Thanks folks - your input is much appreciated!

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@XNavyDiver Is the salifert test titration based or color based like their nitrate kit.
I qualify my answer in saying, I'm not a chemist, but I believe it's titration. There is no comparing your sample to a color chart. You drip a 1ml solution from your syringe into your sample until the color turns from pink to blue. You then read how much is left in the syringe and compare that to a chart to get your number.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qualify my answer in saying, I'm not a chemist, but I believe it's titration. There is no comparing your sample to a color chart. You drip a 1ml solution from your syringe into your sample until the color turns from pink to blue. You then read how much is left in the syringe and compare that to a chart to get your number.

The problem I have is do you take the reading when the colors STRTS to change from blue to pink, meaning still some blue but hint of pink? Or do you keep adding drops until it’s FULLY pink and no more blue at all? Because it could be 4-5 drops more for that.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with the calcium checker when I first bought it because the mechanical pipette they include is junk. It never pulls the correct amount of liquid. Being off even a uL will cause issues in the reading. I purchased an adjustable mechanical pipette from a medical/laboratory supply company. It cost more than the calcium kit, but now I get accurate readings. I checked against my Red Sea kit many times before I was comfortable using the Hanna checker alone. Remember to buy a large pack of pipette tips as well. This way you use a new one for every test.

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have difficulty judging the colors, not trusting what I see.
I use the ALK, the Ca and the ULR Phosphorus.
I've been very happy with them all.
I chose the phosphorus because I wanted to have the low end control of the phos. My system has been running really low using Triton Method.
Hanna has a conversion table in .pdf so there no math involved in the conversion.

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I have is do you take the reading when the colors STRTS to change from blue to pink, meaning still some blue but hint of pink? Or do you keep adding drops until it’s FULLY pink and no more blue at all? Because it could be 4-5 drops more for that.
Disregard. Randy has the correct answer below.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Full color change for a calcium kit. Intermediate colors mean there is still some calcium you have not stripped away from the dye.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full color change for a calcium kit. Intermediate colors mean there is still some calcium you have not stripped away from the dye.
Thanks for clearing that up; I've been going until full color change recently because the results were closer to my Triton results that way but I still wasn't sure.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that the Calcium checker is only as inaccurate because it is difficult to get the all the regent packet. It is no fault of the checker.
You must be meticulous with the calcium checker.
I have devised my own trick with the PO4 checker reagent which is powder form in individual packets. I empty as much as possible into the curvette and then pour some of the curvette water into the packet to rinse it then that goes back into the curvette so that I get almost all of the reagent easily into the test.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have devised my own trick with the PO4 checker reagent which is powder form in individual packets. I empty as much as possible into the curvette and then pour some of the curvette water into the packet to rinse it then that goes back into the curvette so that I get almost all of the reagent easily into the test.
I haven't noticed the test being that sensitive for it to matter.

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do something similar to @Javamahn I trim the packet down. I empty the packet into the curvette. I then proceed to open up the packet and dump the rest out. After changing to this method. My results are ultra consistent.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back