Want to use Vibrant to treat bubble algae. What are the pros and cons??

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty bad outbreak of bubble algae in my 40g breeder. Emerald crabs are a no go because I have a lot of LPS. I’m also worried that a filefish might go after the corals too. I’ve read several r2r threads about treating it with Vibrant and wanted to hear from those of you who have tried it. Did it work? Were there any downsides (eg high nutrients)? Do you recommend it? My tank is otherwise very stable so I want to do a lot of research before taking action. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you'll get differing opinions on this topic, and I can only speak to my own experience and would strongly recommend against using Vibrant. SOMETHING is going to take the niche that is currently occupied by the bubble algae and in my case it was dino's. I battled that stuff for a year before giving up and bleaching the tank and all equipment that ever had contact with it.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Pros: it will kill your bubble algae
Cons:
will kill your chaeto
Will bottom out your nutrients( po4 and no3 in return dinos and turf algae will appear as a result of 0 nutrients.

Solution:

Dose half the amount. Suggested in the bottom and take it slow
Do your weekly water changes exactly a week after dosing. Dose again then keep it like that for few weeks.
Watch your po4 and no3 and Dose them as you see them depleat.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you'll get differing opinions on this topic, and I can only speak to my own experience and would strongly recommend against using Vibrant. SOMETHING is going to take the niche that is currently occupied by the bubble algae and in my case it was dino's. I battled that stuff for a year before giving up and bleaching the tank and all equipment that ever had contact with it.
Thanks. That’s why I wanted to ask first. The tank is doing beautifully except for the bubble algae and a few aptasia, so I don’t want to do anything to knock it out of balance. It took so long to get things stable. My other option is just to manage them with manual removal. They’re not damaging any corals so maybe that’s the safest (if not perfect) solution. Thanks again!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pros: it will kill your bubble algae
Cons:
will kill your chaeto
Will bottom out your nutrients( po4 and no3 in return dinos and turf algae will appear as a result of 0 nutrients.

Solution:

Dose half the amount. Suggested in the bottom and take it slow
Do your weekly water changes exactly a week after dosing. Dose again then keep it like that for few weeks.
Watch your po4 and no3 and Dose them as you see them depleat.
I think based on what you’re saying I’m not going to use it. The nutrients zeroing out cause all sorts of other problems. Thanks!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I’ve decided to not use the Vibrant and continue with the manual removal. I’ll update soon!

Steve13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used vibrant for bubble algae. It got rid of bubble algae in a couple days. I had the same experience as someone above. It bottomed out my phosphates and nitrates. I got Dino’s from it. Finally got rid of them with running a uv sterilizer

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back