Wantanabei male turning female with Bellus?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it make sense to anyone that a Wantanabei male angel would turn female in the presence of a Bellus female? I'm not quite sure that's the case just yet but the black stripes seem to be more faded than when I got him in full male form with dark black stripes. What causes these fish to change sex exactly?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens pretty regularly with Genicanthus species. Gender is based on social dominance. If it's not able to be dominant, it's not able to stay male.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Among just Genicanthus or all fish? I'd say he's actually my most dominant fish besides maybe my yellow tang. And he's definetly dominant over the bellus, she's quite laid back. He get's into it with my large black axil Chromis here and there so maybe that's it (but again he definitely dominates the Chromis in the end)? Thanks!

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Among just Genicanthus or all fish? I'd say he's actually my most dominant fish besides maybe my yellow tang. And he's definetly dominant over the bellus, she's quite laid back. He get's into it with my large black axil Chromis here and there so maybe that's it (but again he definitely dominates the Chromis in the end)? Thanks!
It's noticeable in Genicanthus. I've found the opposite to be true with wrasses, which wipp readily transition to male, eben with other males present.

Back