Wanted bristle worms...well I got them

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up my tank 24 hours ago using wet live rock from my local peto. I already saw several hitchhikers, but it turns out I also have a legion of bristle worms lol. They only come out at night and they all seem to be concentrated in one corner of the tank, telling me they all came from one rock.

Should I feed them to keep them from dying and adding decaying matter to the tank? If they become a plague across my whole tank what fish will eat them?

I'll be honest I think they are neat and like watching them clean stuff, but also don't want this to be a problem. Easily over a dozen of them. Maybe two.
PXL_20220626_102548990.jpg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't need to feed them no. Those that struggle with bristleworm "plagues" are overfeeding who have nobody to blame but themselves.

Somebody's going to tell you to buy an arrow crab (not reef safe) or something else ridiculous. Just let them be. They are like earthworms in the garden and are only a problem if you are grossed out by them.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't need to feed them no. Those that struggle with bristleworm "plagues" are overfeeding who have nobody to blame but themselves.

Somebody's going to tell you to buy an arrow crab (not reef safe) or something else ridiculous. Just let them be. They are like earthworms in the garden and are only a problem if you are grossed out by them.
I am currently cycling and have no fish thus no food in the tank currently so nothing for them to scavenge off of.

Think this will cause a mass die off and mess up my tank chemistry?

Been suggested maybe dropping an algae waffer thier way a couple times a week.

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll scavenge whatever is rotting on your live rock. Dye off is what drives your cycle so the nutrient spike from any die-off will only help build larger starting populations of denitrifying bacteria.

Just like the bacteria, they will establish equilibrium w/ your tank and eventually become an important part of your clean up crew in the sand.

Feeding won't hurt either. Like the worms, will probably help in the long run.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling and have no fish thus no food in the tank currently so nothing for them to scavenge off of.

Think this will cause a mass die off and mess up my tank chemistry?

Been suggested maybe dropping an algae waffer thier way a couple times a week.
Feeding won't hurt. Might keep some cool hitchhikers alive. But live rock has a lot of food on it already. I am an advocate of doing what makes you feel confident when reefing. If feeding will make you more confident in the health of your little ecosystem then it is the right path. It is when we start to worry about all the little details because we lack confidence that we make the big mistakes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back