Wanted - Dwarf Lion - Needed - Advise for tank mates

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about getting a new tank to house a dwarf lion fish. Probably something like 90g FOWLR.
Don't want to put it in my mixed reef tank - duh.

I'm looking for fish to add that I wouldn't put in my mixed reef. Puffers? Triggers?

What are your suggestions?

I'm reading don't put in a sand bed, correct?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers can bite the spines of a lionfish. Basically any fish larger than its mouth is safe. You don't want a tank of aggressive eaters because they may out compete the lion. Eels can do great in lion tanks. Filtration is key as they eat a lot and create a significant amount of waste.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sandbed is your choice. A 90g is too small for triggers. A Canthigaster genus puffer would be ok for a 90g but the other puffers would get too large. Personally I would only put a leopard or saddle puffer with my lions, the valentini and blue spots are too nippy. A pebble toothed eel like a snowflake or skeletor works well with lions, or a golden dwarf. A small tang or a dwarf angel. You could keep a wartskin angler as long as sized so the lion wouldn't eat him, but a painted angler could eventually eat the lion or any other fish similar sized or smaller fish. Anglers can also get picked on by puffers, angels, tangs, and triggers. Their esca(lure) mimics food and at the very least that will eaten. I haven;t seen a spotted drum fish offered that frequently.

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sandbed is your choice. A 90g is too small for triggers. A woule ok for a 90g but the other puffers would get too large. Personally I would only put a leopard or saddle puffer with my lions, the valentini and blue spots are too nippy. A pebble toothed eel like a snowflake or skeletor works well with lions, or a golden dwarf. A small tang or a dwarf angel. You could keep a wartskin angler as long as sized so the lion wouldn't eat him, but a painted angler could eventually eat the lion or any other fish similar sized or smaller fish. Anglers can also get picked on by puffers, angels, tangs, and triggers. Their esca(lure) mimics food and at the very least that will eaten. I haven;t seen a spotted drum fish offered that frequently.

I'm about to put a Golden Dwarf in my reef tank. It's in QT.

My list now...
Wartskin Angler (Or maybe not. They're just so darn ugly they're cute)
Spotted drum
Lemonpeel Angel
Blue Spotted Puffer

Maybe I need a bigger tank. lol I'm hopeless.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back