Wanted to get opinions on best sumps out there? If you could get a sump which would you get?

Diveshaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing research on various different brands and am really liking the Geos Reef Automatic Filter Roll sumps. Does anyone have any experience with these that could share your thoughts likes and dislikes potentially. Also open to hear brands you think I should look further into? Your time is greatly appreciated.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Functional sump, or Show Display sump.

The end result is the same... sump doing sump things.
Good analogy.
Should be basic sump or super high dollar sump, lol.
Mine is a 40 breeder no baffles so as basic as you can get and it works.
I would rather spend my $'s on coral, lol.
Their are some incredible looking high $ sumps out their though.
My next up grade from my 120/40 will still be a basic no baffle box.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had one and probably will never buy one but the Trigger Systems sumps look really nice. I’ve had the standard eshopps sumps and really like those. My next tank I will probably get a Fiji Cube sump. The look nice, have some nice features and are relatively inexpensive for the quality

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bashea
Synergy reef
Ice cap
Trigger systems

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m amazed how much some sumps cost..
I'm plumbed into a FishRoom.
This is all I need:

20210106_094916.jpg

In fact, this year I'm think.if upgrading my DT to a 7ft 260g... probably going to get a 2nd Rubbermaid for more water volume outside the DT

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't care how it looks and don't want to spend a bunch of money, buy a glass aquarium the size you want and silicone baffles into place. You can create compartments the sizes you want and the cost is a fraction of what you will spend on a premade. A 50g glass fish tank can be bought new on sale for about $50 and another $20 in silicone caulk and acrylic at Home Depot. You can make as many or as few compartments as you want. You don't even need power tools just a tape measure and a good cutter.

So many products in the reef aquarium have been improved and make a lot of sense over DIY alternatives but these crazy priced sumps are a mystery to me beyond looking pretty.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Geo's Reef sump and I love it! Here's a pic from when I installed it.

3 - sump - Daniel@R2R.jpg

OP
OP
Diveshaman

Diveshaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’m waiting for my invoice now and couldn’t be more excited. Did a little custom build out with both the filter socks as in pro series then AFR after filter sock camber. I don’t ever mind cleaning filter socks and can’t wait to see the added value of the Clarisea AFR. Thought filter socks would help lengthily use of filter roll. Super excited as I know my tank will be too. Doubled the size of sump tank volume! Yes

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had one and probably will never buy one but the Trigger Systems sumps look really nice.
I bought the TS Platinum. It's still in the box but not for long. I spent major $$$ on it mainly because of three reasons...
1. I want to try fleece roll instead of filter socks and I like the TS fleece design.
2. I want to use a large algae scrubber instead of a skimmer, and CW Aquatics sumps made for algae scrubbers aren't made for fleece roll.
3. It IS going to sit in the middle of my living area, directly underneath a peninsula tank and I want it to look all purdy!

I also have a 40 breeder as a sump in my basement garage. Does that get me off the pretentious, money bags list???

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
U

User1

View Badges
DIY dollar / gallon sale at petco and buy the 20 or 40 sized tanks as noted above. Little work big reward. The stock tank from Rubbermaid is also a great solution. Lots of those are used in basement builds or fish rooms. Sturdy as can be not to mention makes water changes super silly and quick due to the bulk head location. Drain and refill and Bob's your Uncle. Done.

If this is a display sump as noted above you can go with:
Custom
Lifereef - I own one
Trigger systems - the emerald 44 is actually nice but 600 bucks
Insert others here

It really comes down to the hobbyist time and what they are looking for. Personally speaking I would ask you to list out what you are planning to put in there, its use, future upgrades, space, and of course budget. Reason being is we don't want to purchase things twice and many get the sump wrong on the first try.

I don't like spending money or other peoples money but there are really a lot of sumps in the market today. Everyone is trying to make a buck here so you are going to pay a premium if going that route. Even the Trigger as noted above is North of 500 when you look at the larger sizes. For acrylic...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back