Wanted to share my tank happiness

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share... my hobbyist adventure..

After tinkering with my 90gal tank, installing a newer return pump, calibrating my trident and several other fiddly things, I found that there wasn't much more I wanted to add to the tank. I mean that in a macro sense. I will absolutely will modify or add in the future. But I find I have everything I need to run a successful reef the way I would like.

I have some problems in my tank, but for the most part I am very happy with how it looks today and the overall health of the tank.

I started into the hobby with a 30gal high fish tank, wet-dry filter and skilter (i think.. it hung on the back). It had course crushed coral sand bed and two big chunks of live rock. The rock was very much alive, I was stung by a large worm. It was bottom budget fish only for a number of years (domino angel, clownfish, (I tried a tang, I thought it would live.. I had more than enough algae), not sure what else but it was not many.

I switched the lighting to power compacts and started dabbling in some easier stony corals. Zoanthids, mushrooms, birds nets. The dosing was something I did not read up on much. A friend of mine suggested the pepsi bottle with a air regulator nozzle using airline tubing. I would dose sporadically with varying results (things generally grew, except for clams.. yes very dumb idea for my setup).

I always used tap water for my water changes, did not have a automatic top off unit and still feel I did fairly well. Toward the end of my 8yrs with a 30gal tank, I had established a more regular schedule of dosing and had kicked off coralline algae which had evaded me for many years. I let the algae go and for many months did not see the inside of the tank. By then I didn't have anymore fish, but it was a coral only reef. When I broke it down I was amazed at the growth and coloring for the amount of effort I put in. Keep in mind I was not able to see in the tank due to the pink algae that was not covering all sides of the tank.

I have wanted to get back into the hobby and am fortunate enough to have a basement, fish room, and newer equipment. I had done just that some three years ago. During that time I have struggled with my tank lighting, algae outbreaks, RO water generation (flooded the basement a few times etc.). For the effort and results I recall doing far less and generally succeeding. To be fair, I am also trying out many different things than I ever did in the past.

Today, as I look at my tank, it is not perfect. But I am satisfied with where it is now and that I have the knowledge or ability to change something to the desired result. am really enjoying my tank now.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your accomplishments!

A339E747-6837-4E65-A868-7789567003D7.gif

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After tinkering with my 90gal tank, installing a newer return pump, calibrating my trident and several other fiddly things, I found that there wasn't much more I wanted to add to the tank. I mean that in a macro sense. I will absolutely will modify or add in the future. But I find I have everything I need to run a successful reef the way I would like.

I have some problems in my tank, but for the most part I am very happy with how it looks today and the overall health of the tank.

I started into the hobby with a 30gal high fish tank, wet-dry filter and skilter (i think.. it hung on the back). It had course crushed coral sand bed and two big chunks of live rock. The rock was very much alive, I was stung by a large worm. It was bottom budget fish only for a number of years (domino angel, clownfish, (I tried a tang, I thought it would live.. I had more than enough algae), not sure what else but it was not many.

I switched the lighting to power compacts and started dabbling in some easier stony corals. Zoanthids, mushrooms, birds nets. The dosing was something I did not read up on much. A friend of mine suggested the pepsi bottle with a air regulator nozzle using airline tubing. I would dose sporadically with varying results (things generally grew, except for clams.. yes very dumb idea for my setup).

I always used tap water for my water changes, did not have a automatic top off unit and still feel I did fairly well. Toward the end of my 8yrs with a 30gal tank, I had established a more regular schedule of dosing and had kicked off coralline algae which had evaded me for many years. I let the algae go and for many months did not see the inside of the tank. By then I didn't have anymore fish, but it was a coral only reef. When I broke it down I was amazed at the growth and coloring for the amount of effort I put in. Keep in mind I was not able to see in the tank due to the pink algae that was not covering all sides of the tank.

I have wanted to get back into the hobby and am fortunate enough to have a basement, fish room, and newer equipment. I had done just that some three years ago. During that time I have struggled with my tank lighting, algae outbreaks, RO water generation (flooded the basement a few times etc.). For the effort and results I recall doing far less and generally succeeding. To be fair, I am also trying out many different things than I ever did in the past.

Today, as I look at my tank, it is not perfect. But I am satisfied with where it is now and that I have the knowledge or ability to change something to the desired result. am really enjoying my tank now.
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Da Reef!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome and Welcome Back!!

It sounds like you've settled into a happy place. We're still working to get there, but learning to enjoy the journey (giggle)

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back