Wanting expert-only livestock because of ego?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it our ego that makes us want to keep harder livestock?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example:

Acropora
Achilles tang
Regal angel

Yes, they are beautiful, but I think it’s mainly because of how difficult they are.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may also be function of time (and $$). Expert level requires a significant time commitment. I don't have, or don't want to spend, the time necessary. So I don't keep "high end" livestock. However, I'm glad some do!

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd love to keep pipefish, garden eels, and cuttlefish (NOT all in the same tank, obviously). I don't consider it ego, rather that these animals are adorable and I want to watch them thrive under my care.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be simpler than ego per se... alot of us are just wired/taught to always achieve the 'next level'. Generally to the point of failure or incompetence like the Peter Principal. At that point we either settle back down or learn and adapt.

For me it was a bit of both... I love some of the more difficult fish like my orange spot files (before I sold them) or Achilles because of past mistakes I learned from. I also just ordered several royal grammas because they're beautiful so who cares if they are standard.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora aren’t expert level in my opinion, but more about patience, consistency, and the willingness to spend a lot of time and money ;).

The “expert-only” label on fish or coral should be seen as a big red warning, keep-away sign and not a challenge to conquer.

“Expert-only” fish often have very specific or special requirements along with low survival rates. The average or even seasoned hobbyist isn’t going to meet these requirements due to tank size, required diet, specific temperature or salinity, etc…

It should not be a negative to anyone’s ego to stay away from “expert-only” livestock. Attempting “expert-only” livestock can be more of a negative to a persons ego and pocketbook.

Last edited:

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took one difficult fish for me to say “F this. Easy fish from now on”

I watched a pearly headed jaw fish wither away. Despite warnings of “you can’t have enough pods in a 75 gallon for him to survive long term”. I wrote those off to people being lazy in their own previous care of the same animal.

I was wrong and that little fish died because I couldn’t keep enough pods for him in my system. There are plenty fish that are beautiful and easy to keep. I’ll keep them instead of killing the ones jo should bever be taken from the ocean. My fat and happy blue spotted goby says hello.

My method with coral is different. it isn’t a sentinant being. I don’t really care how “difficult” it is to keep. I look at my parms. If they meet what the coral needs it’s purchase is a possibility. Then I ask myself, “if I melt this coral will I be disgusted by the money I wasted” whether finger leather or Dan Akroid, if the answer is “yes you will be disgusted with yourself” I walk away. If the answer is meh, who cares. It’s only $__.99”. Then I buy it. Unless it is NPS. Even though beautiful, I won’t do it. Sun corals and blueberry gorgonian are my two absolute favorite pieces. But I’ve killed enough to know that it just isn’t worth trying.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a difference between liking a challenge and it being about ego. I think most people just like the challenge as it’s part of everything in this hobby.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is ego. Maybe it is for some people I don't know. I don't like those fish you mentioned as I just find them to common and if you dive you are surrounded by tangs and angelfish.

After having so many of them I just like odder fish and many of them just happen to be more of a challenge.
You don't see many of these in tanks, but everyone has tangs.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the challenge. One of my tanks is populated with sponges and other NPS critters. I also keep blue line and Janses pipefish. My freshwater tanks have wild Discus and Altum angels. Maybe, I am just a masochist

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back