Wanting to build a refugium in my red sea reefer 350 v3 sump. Need advice

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I am wanting to use a section of my Redsea reefer 350 v3 sump for some chato to help in nutrient control as I don't wish to use Nopox and id like to try the more natural approach i can see with my eyes.

Unfortunately the 350's sump all be it spacious gets cramped once you have; heaters, skimmer, UV pump and a reactor chamber in.

The only space that I have available in my sump is after the filter sock chamber before the baffle going into the skimmer chamber and finally return chamber. this is where my heater is located along with a pump for my reactor chamber. I appreciate that the reactor plumbing is jank however it was the only way to control the flow due to the DD pump provided was awful loud when restricted. It also goes back into the filter socks as i had issues with some carbon escaping the chamber.

my idea is to get some egg crate to create a divide from the heater and carbon reactor pump for chato to be placed and grow. Would this work ?

I have added some images to aid in my sump layout and what id like to use. Any feedback is welcome / advice. many thanks.

idea..png sump side.jpg sump top.jpg whole sump.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of people ditch the ATO - and use that reserviour as a refugium (with the proper plumbing/pump). You would then need a different ATO

OP
OP
S

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people ditch the ATO - and use that reserviour as a refugium (with the proper plumbing/pump). You would then need a different ATO
that does sound a good idea and would help with space if all i had to add was another pump into the ATO. do you know what i would need to do to plumb it correctly ??

OP
OP
S

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is where I had my chaeto

Tank 8.19.20.jpg
that lookss great. my only concern is that section in my sump is used for a pump but i suppose i could egg crate it off and have a slightly smaller refuge with a good growing light. how did you find the algae growth in the sump in other chambers with this layout??

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to keep in mind as well is that you may want to consider blacking out your reactor or tubing to avoid algae growth from the lights.

OP
OP
S

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to keep in mind as well is that you may want to consider blacking out your reactor or tubing to avoid algae growth from the lights.
how would i go about blacking out the tubing or reactor ?

i have seen that you can purchase black out boxes for sumps to cover the light pollution. i was thinking that i could do this so that algae growth would be limited to the chamber the chaeto is and maybe the filter sock chamber in as best as possible without having to worry massively?

what do you think?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that lookss great. my only concern is that section in my sump is used for a pump but i suppose i could egg crate it off and have a slightly smaller refuge with a good growing light. how did you find the algae growth in the sump in other chambers with this layout??
At first, the light I used had too much spillover, but then I switched to this Tunze light and didn't have a problem.

Also, I looked into the ATO reserve as the refugium, and it is relatively easy. You would have a small pump going up to the ATO container and then let the water drain back into the return section via the tube. Depending on the pump size, you may need to open the hole to get more water out. You can also paint the ATO reserve black, so there is no light spillage.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would i go about blacking out the tubing or reactor ?

i have seen that you can purchase black out boxes for sumps to cover the light pollution. i was thinking that i could do this so that algae growth would be limited to the chamber the chaeto is and maybe the filter sock chamber in as best as possible without having to worry massively?

what do you think?
You could use electrical tape also if you don't mind the look

OP
OP
S

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first, the light I used had too much spillover, but then I switched to this Tunze light and didn't have a problem.

Also, I looked into the ATO reserve as the refugium, and it is relatively easy. You would have a small pump going up to the ATO container and then let the water drain back into the return section via the tube. Depending on the pump size, you may need to open the hole to get more water out. You can also paint the ATO reserve black, so there is no light spillage.
that does appear to be one of the best options is must agree.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back