OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inkbird temperature controller and ehiem jager heaters are both reliable and a lot cheaper than the innovative marine, some of the saltwater stuff isnt too expensive and is the same for freshwater or salt. You probably have a couple heater lying around anyway so 2 heaters(any brand) and 1 inkbird is what i would use. Then when one heater eventually dies (sure you have been through your fair share) buy another eheim jager

I actually don’t have any extra heaters lying around. The Axolotls require really cold water compared to most freshwater and the Betta tank has a very small heater. Definitely down with cheaper as long as it’s just as reliable.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the inkbird controller has definitely been reliable IME, i see a lot of people going with them if they dont have an aquarium controller doing it already

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check out some books as well. Been watching a ton of BRS videos. Was looking at a Biocube at first but the stock lights don’t seem that great and the glass on the Innovative Marine tank looks a lot better. Really like the look of the rimless style aquariums with a open top like they have at my LFS. Plus with the Innovative it seems a lot more upgradeable and overall better quality than the Biocube
Love the look of the rimless tanks.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want some clowns and sand sifting goby, yellow watchman goby and maybe a royal gramma. Don’t want a lot of fish just enough to add some movement but clowns is important above all cause I really like those guys. Not looking for bigger fish.

When selecting fish, remember that it isn't just the physical size of the fish that is important.

Take into consideration the territorial habits of the fish. Also, the swimming habits of the fish (do they like to swim along a long line the length of the tank or do they do a lot of "top to bottom" swimming?). This will dictate the tank dimensions you should consider.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When selecting fish, remember that it isn't just the physical size of the fish that is important.

Take into consideration the territorial habits of the fish. Also, the swimming habits of the fish (do they like to swim along a long line the length of the tank or do they do a lot of "top to bottom" swimming?). This will dictate the tank dimensions you should consider.
I have not considered that when selecting fish but I’ve just done a very basic selection of fish so far. I will definitely do some more research into that. Thanks!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say before you start any step down the saltwater hobby path.... you need to have a serious conversation with yourself

Are you prepared to put in about 2,3,4,5 hrs a week in maintenance?

Are you financially ready to spend a LOT of money? Once you're in the hobby monthly costs of electricity, water, salt, food, more corals, maintenance items, equipment failure replacements, on and on.... you can easily expect to spend over $100/month every month.

Are you willing to spend a LOT of time and money to get whatever saltwater nirvana you are seeking?

Me personally I started in 2007 with a 75g. $6,000 later I upgraded to a 6ft 180g.

Since 2007 I've spent easily $25,000 on this hobby.

I've spend so much time doing husbandry on my system that my wife and daughter have become absolutely BITTER TOWARDS ME over the time I spend with my tank.

If they have plans for the day and I approach my tank, they both have thrown their hands up in the air yelling, "Oh my God, Dad's working on the tank. There went the WHOLE day!"

My wife has gotten to the point where if I've ran up $1200 on the credit card she needs to payoff with famiky finances.... she doesn't even say much anymore other than "You better get out there and make more money buddy.....this months bill is ON YOU!"" Meaning, she is KEEPING SCORE in her head.

Things to think about bruh....

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say before you start any path down the saltwater hobby, you need to have a serious conversation with yourself

Are you prepared to put in about 2,3,4,5 hrs a week in maintenance?

Are you financially ready to spend a LOT of money? Once you're in the hobby monthly costs of electricity, water, salt, food, more corals, maintenance items, equipment failure replacements, on and on.... you can easily expect to spend $100/month easy.

Are you willing to spend a LOT of time and money to get whatever saltwater nirvana you are seeking?

Me personally I started in 2007 with a 75g. Now have a 6ft 180g. Since 2007 I've spent easily $20,000 in thus hobby. I've spend so much time doing husbandry of my system that my wife and daughter have become absolutely [I][COLOR=rgb(209, 72, 65)]bitter[/COLOR][/I] over the time I spend with my tank.

Things to think about bruh....

I definitely have the time and resources to do this hobby right. I work from home and I don’t spend a lot of time working. Spending a few hundred or so a month on this hobby won’t be a issue just want to make sure I’m doing it right.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question, I go to music festivals around the country during the summer, usually 2-4 a year and am usually gone for 3-5 days at a time at most. I have a ring alarm and can place water leaking sensors near the tank just in case and can point one of my ring cameras at the tank as well but any other suggestions for keeping the tank safe while gone a few days during the summer?

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. First time poster but been lurking for a few days. Looking to get into reefing, want to start with FOWLR at first then add easy corals. Looking at the Innovative Marine Lagoon 25 as my first saltwater tank but have a few questions. I have done freshwater for over 10 years so I know a lot about that side. My water quality is poor so I will eventually need to buy a RODI down the road but was going to depend on saltwater from my LFS at first and see how that goes before dropping a lot of money on a RODI system. I currently have two Axolotl tanks, a 29 and a 40 gallon as well as a 5 gallon Betta tank but have had a 75 gallon piranha tank, 75 gallon cichlid tank as well as a few others I can’t think of. So not new but definitely new to saltwater. I see comments stating you need to change the filter sock on these every 3-4 days, by change do I need to replace it with a new filter or is rinsing it in RODI water sufficient? Looking at Caribsea South Seas base rock 40 lbs and Caribsea Agra-Alive Special Grade live sand 20lbs to get started. Hanna Instruments Salinity tester for checking saltwater and a API saltwater test kit, not sure on lighting but I won’t need anything for difficult corals at first or maybe ever. For stocking I for sure want a clown and haven’t considered too much on cleanup crew. Am I on the right track here? Anything to add? Also to add I won’t use all 40lbs of dry rock but having extra gives more chances of better rock shapes to get things going better.
You sound on the right track. Not a lot translated from freshwater to saltwater so be aware of that. You are starting basically square 1.

I buy my RO water from my LFS just simpler for me with my 60 gallon tank size. 5 gallons last 3-4 weeks. That’s an option to consider if your evaporation isn’t too bad.

you will need a decent light for even basic corals. Anything from the freshwater world will not work. Get something for reef keeping when you are ready to go that route. Any old light. Or no light at all will work fine for FOWLR.

welcome to the forums and to saltwater aquariums. I personally find them easier than freshwater. Just be patient and move slow as the fish snd inverts are less hearty generally speaking.

Last edited:

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question, I go to music festivals around the country during the summer, usually 2-4 a year and am usually gone for 3-5 days at a time at most. I have a ring alarm and can place water leaking sensors near the tank just in case and can point one of my ring cameras at the tank as well but any other suggestions for keeping the tank safe while gone a few days during the summer?
3-5 days will be no problem. I am regularly gone for 2-4. I have an auto fish feeder and for reef keeping you will want a dosing pump if you regularly dose.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The website claims the desk can hold up to 900 lbs. I have the tank on the edge under the metal supports. I have not seen any bending or bowing of the desk and it seems sturdy. Me and my wife stood on the table with no issues and the tank seems to be fine on it. So far I have a Tunze Osmolator 3152, AI Prime 16HD, AI Nero 3, around 17lbs of dry rock, Caribsea special grade reef sand about 18lbs in the tank, been cycling for almost 2 weeks now. I use the 5 gallon jugs from LFS for saltwater and for my freshwater ATO resivoir. I also have a IM Helio 100 watt heater and a mighty jet 352gph pump with controller. I have a InTank filter floss basket on the way and running floss and matrix in my IM media basket at the moment. I also just received my Hanna Salinity tester and salinity is at 1.023. Temp is at 85 F for cycling.

51E004CA-7BE3-4EE3-8D69-F73C89867084.jpeg 007790C0-F3D7-432D-B2C1-92CD171AADBD.jpeg

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The website claims the desk can hold up to 900 lbs. I have the tank on the edge under the metal supports. I have not seen any bending or bowing of the desk and it seems sturdy. Me and my wife stood on the table with no issues and the tank seems to be fine on it. So far I have a Tunze Osmolator 3152, AI Prime 16HD, AI Nero 3, around 17lbs of dry rock, Caribsea special grade reef sand about 18lbs in the tank, been cycling for almost 2 weeks now. I use the 5 gallon jugs from LFS for saltwater and for my freshwater ATO resivoir. I also have a IM Helio 100 watt heater and a mighty jet 352gph pump with controller. I have a InTank filter floss basket on the way and running floss and matrix in my IM media basket at the moment. I also just received my Hanna Salinity tester and salinity is at 1.023. Temp is at 85 F for cycling.

51E004CA-7BE3-4EE3-8D69-F73C89867084.jpeg
Seems like you are off to a good start. Also your question on the filter floss. Rinsing snd reusing is fine until it really wears out. Then replace it.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerhead is behind the rock work keep flow steady behind the rock work but going to get another Powerhead for the front as well

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I’m getting the helicopter noise some users have reported with the Nero’s so I kept it on 10% like the manufacturer suggested in some threads for a weekish it’s still making that noise so I’m soaking it in white distilled vinegar to see if I can loosen anything and if it continues I’ll reach out to AI. I really like this Powerhead and it’s controllability within the app so I’m hoping the vinegar soak helps. Doing it for one hour in 50-50 white distilled vinegar and RODI water

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m considering 2x Frostbite Clownfish 1x yellow watchman goby 1x candy cane pistol shrimp and possibly 1x Royal Gramma. Add cuc as needed.

Back