Wanting to install lower Sump on Aquatop 40 gallon cube

MorReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not completely new to reef keeping but do consider myself a novice or young intermediate at best. I purchased a 40 gallon all in one aquatop tank with stand for my wife from the LFS and we both agreed it would be nice to have a lower sump for a fuge and better (quieter) skimmer.

Question is this: How would I go about plumbing for something like that with this tank already having a small sump attached to the back of it?

SlipperyWhipple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try removing all the equipment from the back and drilling the glass bottom if it’s not tempered. That’s what I would try but I waste my money so I am willing to risk shattering the tank.

OP
OP
MorReefs

MorReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is I would have to go from the bottom because of such a tight space the internal chamber is. this would be fine but if I mess it up...yea it would be bad.

SlipperyWhipple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is I would have to go from the bottom because of such a tight space the internal chamber is. this would be fine but if I mess it up...yea it would be bad.
No risk-it, no biscuit my friend. Just kidding. After you remove everything, you could take out the back panel assuming it’s siliconed in and then run a HOB overflow like Eshopps makes then plumb in your own return that also goes over the back. I don’t really like HOB overflows but without drilling you don’t really have a choice.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this and was not happy with the results. A month later I bought a new tank to go with the new sump and all the hardware. Save yourself the time, energy and money and go big! :p
Hey I see your new here , Post a greeting in the Meet & Greet forum and you will find others that have done this

edcactus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this and was not happy with the results. A month later I bought a new tank to go with the new sump and all the hardware. Save yourself the time, energy and money and go big! :p
Hey I see your new here , Post a greeting in the Meet & Greet forum and you will find others that have done this

I was interested in this as I am upgrading to a new tank and want to re-purpose the 40 gallon, and make it have a sump. Were you able to drill the back panel of the aquatop tank? How did you verify it was not tempered.

I am seeing things online about using polarized sunglasses to tell? Then I hear that that is not a reliable process. I don't want to break the tank if it can be avoided lol.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an acrylic 40 all in one. I read a member contacted the tank manufacturer on his tank so that may be an option for you.
Their are a lot of extremely knowledgeable people here. Say hello, start a build thread on your tank (pictures) and you will get all your questions answered plus some. Wish I could help you more but thats all I got. Good luck

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in this as I am upgrading to a new tank and want to re-purpose the 40 gallon, and make it have a sump. Were you able to drill the back panel of the aquatop tank? How did you verify it was not tempered.

I am seeing things online about using polarized sunglasses to tell? Then I hear that that is not a reliable process. I don't want to break the tank if it can be avoided lol.

the tank is low/iron glass it is not treated or tempered

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back