Warning about batches of Salifert test kits 4 months and younger

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a few months now certain acros we’re showing some stress. I went crazy trying to figure it out. Tested all morning and night, tested po4 which went a little higher then I like. I like to be about .03 to .08 I was at .18 So I figured that was my issue. Worked on lowering my po4 slowly and finally got it down to about .07. Corals still were not looking right. So every few days I would test the big 3. Usually I just test alk since I’m on a calcium reactor and mag and cal once every 2 weeks. Well checking the big 3 nothing was off, everything was stable. So I was getting bored and decided I wanted to try the trident. Hooked it up, calibrated it like 60 hours later and it was showing my alk about 6.56. I tested with salifert and salifert read 8.5. I contacted Apex and they sent me a ticket. For giggles I decided to check a fresh batch of saltwater. Red Sea reg is at about 8 alkalinity. Made the water and brought it up to 77 degrees and tested my alk. It read over 10. I was like that is very strange. I then called a friend who gave me new calibration fluid and again it read low. He also tested my water with his trident and it read low with him as well. I went out and bought a Hanna kit and that confirmed it. The salifert kits were WAY off. 3 or 4 months racking my brain not think a test kit I’ve used for 10 years were this far off almost causing a total tank crash. Now I’m not out of the woods yet. I have a few weeks to see the amount of damage that it caused. Right now I set up a doser to bring my alk back up slowly. Been 5 days and I’m at 7.8 on the trident and Hanna. Just putting the warning out there because I know A LOT of us use these kits. Thanks for reading
CAD09641-7475-48BA-B2AF-8F82483D6A66.jpeg

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the Salifert Nitrate is the only good and accurate test that Salifert has to offer. All of the Red Sea Tests for the Big three top the Salifert in accuracy by far from what I have seen and hard. I’m sure someone could say otherwise but that’s what I have seen. Don’t know what test you use for phosphate but I feel like there isn’t any accurate and precise tests for phosphate besides the Hanna ulr checker. Again, all my opinion/what I have seen and heard from others. Hope you get these testing errors figured out.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back