Warning! Formaldehyde can be very toxic in aquatic environments

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have understood that some fish "medicines" can still contain formaldehyde. I thought it not was in use any longer. Besides effects on humans (supposed cancerogenic and other effects) it can convert to a very toxic substance paraformaldehyde with time, especially toxic for fish. It is not question if – the question is when? Old batches can have formed paraformaldehyde and if it have been stored below 5 degree C - even fresh formalin can convert to the toxic form.
However – there is a chance to see this. Good formaldehyde is a clear liquid without any cloudiness – if you can see precipitation in one or another way – paraformaldehyde has been formed. If the bottle contain formaldehyde and show precipitation DO NOT USE IT

More reading here

Sincerely Lasse

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve yet to touch the stuff. I’ve been able to find a suitable alternative in every case so far, and generally discourage using it whenever possible.

This is a great heads-up regarding the medication “turning” to the more toxic form.... I honestly didn’t even realize that could happen until you’d mentioned it in another thread.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one of the last bottles of Formalin. I avoid it unless drastic measures are needed to save a fish. The possible side effects always give me pause.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have formaldehyde/formalin 'on hand', but have never used it on fish.
When I was a kid and very interested in microscopy, I used gallons of formalin to preserve specimens, lol.
And then I worked in an autopsy lab for a while and the entire place smelled of it.
I even rather liked the smell.
Was also very interested in chemistry when younger and frequently used carcinogenic benzene as a solvent.
No cancer yet. ymmv. :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back