WARNING - Stay away from Seneye

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Seneye some time back to monitor a tank I was setting up new. It has actually been used to monitor ammonia on a couple of new builds. Even though I have used it for the Ammonia readings, I bought it primarily for the PAR meter and it has worked well for me...... Until this weekend!

This weekend I installed the Aquaticlife Hybrid over the tank and needed to check par and change settings on my Hydra's accordingly. I pulled out the Seneye to get some readings, plugged it into the computer, and found that I can't use it for PAR readings anymore. At least not until I pay another $60 to Seneye, which I have NO intention of doing.

Apparently they recently released a software update for the Seneye, basically a firmware update for the sensor and a new HUD for the computer. Cool, I like that they are working to improve the sensor and releasing updates. The problem is that they rendered the light meter functions useless and turned them off forcing you to upgrade to continue using it. Upgrade at the cost of $60. Upgrade a sensor that worked just fine without the upgrade. Forced you to upgrade by essentially bricking the product, rendering it useless unless you pay them more money.

I, for one, will not support a company that thinks they can run a business in this way. I have already purchased their product, recommended it to others, purchased replacement slides, etc. However, I WILL NOT be held ransom by the company that I purchased my product from and will be purchasing a PAR meter from a reputable company that doesn't hold their products ransom, demanding more money to restore functionality that they removed.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that even legal?
No. Sony got slapped with (and lost) a class action for doing the same sort of thing with PlayStation years ago.

A product must retain the functionality it originally came with, unless clearly stated that the functionality is of trial use or similar language.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Seneye some time back to monitor a tank I was setting up new. It has actually been used to monitor ammonia on a couple of new builds. Even though I have used it for the Ammonia readings, I bought it primarily for the PAR meter and it has worked well for me...... Until this weekend!

This weekend I installed the Aquaticlife Hybrid over the tank and needed to check par and change settings on my Hydra's accordingly. I pulled out the Seneye to get some readings, plugged it into the computer, and found that I can't use it for PAR readings anymore. At least not until I pay another $60 to Seneye, which I have NO intention of doing.

Apparently they recently released a software update for the Seneye, basically a firmware update for the sensor and a new HUD for the computer. Cool, I like that they are working to improve the sensor and releasing updates. The problem is that they rendered the light meter functions useless and turned them off forcing you to upgrade to continue using it. Upgrade at the cost of $60. Upgrade a sensor that worked just fine without the upgrade. Forced you to upgrade by essentially bricking the product, rendering it useless unless you pay them more money.

I, for one, will not support a company that thinks they can run a business in this way. I have already purchased their product, recommended it to others, purchased replacement slides, etc. However, I WILL NOT be held ransom by the company that I purchased my product from and will be purchasing a PAR meter from a reputable company that doesn't hold their products ransom, demanding more money to restore functionality that they removed.
Reach out to them or contact them here, it's an error in the software and they will gladly go in and unlock it for you. No charge. This has been discussed previously.

Felipe Ramos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me... you only have to restart and it will work.... I contacted them when happened first time.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens to me every time I plug in my Seneye. I simply unplug and plug in 2-3 times and the PAR meter function finally opens up. Just bad software.

Try this. Mine is the same way. Just wonky old software

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like an Apple iPhone upgrade, not cool

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year later and this bug is still not solved yet. Just installed a brand new Seneye reef and was also asked to pay extra for the par meter...

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They haven’t updated their iOS app for 2+ years. Are they still even in business?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year later and this bug is still not solved yet. Just installed a brand new Seneye reef and was also asked to pay extra for the par meter...
Disconnect/reconnect times 5 doesn't help by the way.

It just looks that the app/server thinks i have a Seneye Home/Pond, the option to upgrade is meant for owners of those.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys already know no cycle sticks, stalls or fails to complete.

a comfort zone solely for seneye owners. titration testers are locked in dante's fifth ring of .25 perpetuity

have no experience with the other params it measures we only care about nh3 in my battle circles for stuck cycles lol

very handy to know there's par access tricks to consider or it'll lock down.

same for initial tuning and trimming to get nh3 in spec. if a v1 meter has a few bugs but its still causing cycle authors to have to rewrite the old rules, we've still got a darn good device at hand.

when tuned, its causing 100% of the old cycling rules to appear as totally made up to sell us bottle bac en masse.

I'd never own one personally. don't care about par/intuit works fine for my tank and surely don't care about nh3/most predictable compound in reefing. but the joy of watching others post nh3 measures / timing that breaks all the rules= priceless. darn good meter to own for those into ruleset verification. getting par correct on an aquarium 8 inches tall is not hard/its kind of a cheat compared to large tanks I can see how par metering w be helpful in large tank tunes.

Last edited:

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disconnect/reconnect times 5 doesn't help by the way.

It just looks that the app/server thinks i have a Seneye Home/Pond, the option to upgrade is meant for owners of those.
Can confirm that the app thinks i have a Seneye Home, it's on the info tab.
Now how do i change that...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back