• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Warning to all coral sellers!!! Must read!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping receipts are a must, but paypal also requires shipping to a "confirmed" address in order to defend against an "item not received" claim. It's amazing to me that pp almost always gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt.

CaiN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you wont lose your tracking numbers, delivery confirmation, shipping receipts, always send these numbers to the buyer and dont delete it from your pm messages, incase of ebay save it on your folder.

Last edited:

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pay pal and eBay have these policies for a reason. It makes buyers more willing to use this new form of technology of buying/selling when it came out. Without this protection people would not be willing to send money to random people. Although, there are some bad people, I do not really see any other solution or way of doing things.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pay pal and eBay have these policies for a reason. It makes buyers more willing to use this new form of technology of buying/selling when it came out. Without this protection people would not be willing to send money to random people. Although, there are some bad people, I do not really see any other solution or way of doing things.

How about not having PayPal and eBay being crooked themselves?

redddogg69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is available in the USA, but in Canada we can do an EMT (email money transfer) an email account is linked to your bank account where the buyer can use his email address to send money to yours, the buyer pays $1.50 for this service seller has no charge for it, a password is used to accept the payment and it is transferred directly to your bank account with no banking info exchanged. The money is available to the seller immediately and cannot be taken back unless the seller sends money back. I use this regularly on another forum I frequent and it works flawlessly. There is still the possibility of fraud on either side but the money is protected from flakey PayPal policies and fees.

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about not having PayPal and eBay being crooked themselves?

Sorry to be off topic, but how are pay pal and eBay crooked? Sure, they make their own rules but we have choice on whether or not to use it. I think eBay and pay pal has revolutionized online shopping for the better. I agree there are some issues that people complain about but no one ever says what the solution is.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Browse an eBay forum on the topic and you'll see that buyers are given too much protection. Returning products after using them, switching out then returning, or falsely claiming parts of bulk orders as missing are a few that come to mind off the top of my head. Not to mention shipping to an unconfirmed address removes any seller protection and opens up the floodgates for fraud. Countless sellers have fallen into this trap. As far as solutions, that's tough because it comes down to one person being honest about what's being put into a box, and another person being honest about what is in the box when they receive it.

AcroholicReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to being a seller in a tough economy. People now have a higher desire to sell and a less desire to buy. In order to get people to buy, you need to make sure that the economic power is in the buyers hands and not the sellers. I cannot imagine if it was the other way around and you could rip people off by selling items. Stores have been having to do it for several years and paypal isn't any different.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to be off topic, but how are pay pal and eBay crooked? Sure, they make their own rules but we have choice on whether or not to use it. I think eBay and pay pal has revolutionized online shopping for the better. I agree there are some issues that people complain about but no one ever says what the solution is.

Besides the fact that they make money on the same auction twice?

They offer tons of buyer "protection", but none for sellers. This "protection" is really just means of a way to allow buyers to commit fraud. They are also not a bank, meaning that they can do whatever they want with your account and money for no reason. They have no real rules that they have to follow.

Paypal is great if you are the buyer and horrendous if you are the seller.

feel free to Google some of the many paypal horror stories.

here is a link to just one of the many sites:

PayPal Terms of Service TOS Agreement Exposed

hellsangel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happened a while ago (about a year back), he claimed he never received the package, I didn't have signature confirmation and once the package showed "delivered" I tossed the receipt. I had no proof that it made it too him (even though I knew it did). So it was partially my fault, but still can't believe some people are like that, they get a deal and still take advantage of another. But I learned from it and hold onto all of my shipping documents months after the delivery. In saying that I can relate to being ripped off, but have been fortunate not to have it happen from livestock that I was shipping. Now buying coral and not receiving it is a problem I am dealing with now.

lol welcome to my world purchased $600 worth of frags 6 months ago.. still waiting!:(

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the fact that they make money on the same auction twice?

They offer tons of buyer "protection", but none for sellers. This "protection" is really just means of a way to allow buyers to commit fraud. They are also not a bank, meaning that they can do whatever they want with your account and money for no reason. They have no real rules that they have to follow.

Paypal is great if you are the buyer and horrendous if you are the seller.

feel free to Google some of the many paypal horror stories.

here is a link to just one of the many sites:

PayPal Terms of Service TOS Agreement Exposed

Pay pal does offer seller protection, they guarantee the funds are legit. I work for a small electronic recycler and we sell about 25,000 items a year through eBay and pay pal. I guess you can look at it as they are charging you twice but then again you are using two completely separate services. 1. Auction or listing 2. Money transfer fee.

You can find horror stories on here about people ripping someone else off but that does not mean reef2reef is bad. It is not the forum or service connecting hobbyist/ buyers/sellers that is wrong. The people trying to defraud others is what is ruining it.

I checked the link, and well they choose their wording very well. Borderline propaganda, yes pay pal has the power to do all those horrible things like change their user agreement at anytime and take your money but they don't. I kind of expected things when I signed up like if I have an overdue eBay fee they would come after me. I don't think that's to crazy. Also, it is very smart on their end to put the money in FDIC accounts. Our money is insured and they make interest off of it. Sounds like a win win for both sides. If you put your money in a savings account, that bank also makes interest themselves off your money. In no secret pay pal is for profit so the majority of their decisions are going to be profit driven.

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanna say I had the opposite experience. I ordered from a guy that just shipped the corals via freight rather than overnight. He refused to answer my call or emails so I finally filed a paypal claim. They just told me sorry about your luck. They wouldnt do anything once they knew it involved livestock. I got screwed out of alot of money not to mention the guy knowingly killed alot of critters. Just remember karma will kick you in the sack eventually.

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people will put coffee or tea in the water mixed with egg whites to clean Dead on arrival with mushrooms best to just sell coral local and never on eBay

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely stopped selling coral on eBay buyer can easily say doa make it look dead just ad tea or coffee take a picture and want there money back. buy protection 100% but not for the seller. Local pickup only maybe but I can post free adds local.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back