• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Warning to all coral sellers!!! Must read!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by all means this is a crappy policy, but your beef isnt with paypal its with the buyer.
i would post up a nice warning including username.

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is in it for the buyer if they are sending the coral back to you? You say it is a scam but I don't understand how the buyer would gain anything by returning the package with the coral?

Reef keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats the scam the seller doesnt get the coral back or the money buyer get's it all! ITS NOT RIGHT AT ALL! i really hate it wen ppl scam!!!

Luisra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that!!!

There is one way of dealing with this. If the person doesn't have ANY feedback at all (maybe a scammer), you should kindly ask that he sends the money as a gift. If it's a intelligent scammer, he would not send the money; and if he does send the money as a gift he will lose it. He would not be able to file a dispute for a gift, since a gift is a transfer of something without the expectation of receiving something in return.

PS: At common law, for a gift to have legal effect, it was required that there be intent by the donor to give a gift, and delivery to the recipient of the item to be given as a gift.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea but paypal will warn you if they suspect that a regular business deal is paid for as a gift. Since gifts aren't eligible for paypal fees, then it takes money from them.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on telling paypal it was live animal. I ordered from an online vendor and they shorted me and shipped the wrong items. Paypal told me I was not covered under their policy because it was a live animal. So needless to say, I was out the money with livestock I couldn't use or need.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on telling paypal it was live animal. I ordered from an online vendor and they shorted me and shipped the wrong items. Paypal told me I was not covered under their policy because it was a live animal. So needless to say, I was out the money with livestock I couldn't use or need.

That's the opposite of my situation and does not seem to be the norm from all the research I've done. Paypal usually sides with the buyer regardless of the type of product purchased, as long as the item is returned.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paypal told me that any returns had to be worked out between myself and the seller. That they would not be involved because it was against their policy to cover anything that was a live creature.

I guess what I'm trying to say ..... If you told them it was a live animal, they would not have done anything. It would have been up to you to issue a refund, if you had chosen to.

In my situation, it was like I was the other guy. Except, I didn't even get what I ordered. The company I was dealing with would not respond to my emails and would not return my calls either.

Just my experience.

doylef4i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you folks expect people that are new to the site to gain feed back?I'm new here and of the 4 people I have purchased from(only 2 shipped so far)I have done nothing wrong.I just want to know what to do so people can trust "the new guy" here.
thanks,Daniel

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you're off to a great start. If your purchases were positive, simply politely ask each of the sellers to leave feedback for you. Posting and participating in the forums is another way to gain trust and establish an online reputation.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Im pretty new but have made a few purchases and had great luck. People are awesome here for the most part. When we sell and buy things on r2r we all need to remember to give feedback on both ends. It's important and can help stop stuff like this. As far as your loss I'm really sorry. Look at the bright side though in that how many good sales have u had to this one bad? :).

mikezalewski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right I have heard the same thing about ppl and that really scares me about using that service! I am a newbie on this site but on other sites I have been on them for years and I still do not use ppl! They will have to change things before I use them to sell and buy things from people. There is a different way to do things. (I am not affiliated with this product at all but it works) it is called square up. I can take a credit card over the phone and it is a few cents more than ppl but the peace of mind is priceless

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you folks expect people that are new to the site to gain feed back?I'm new here and of the 4 people I have purchased from(only 2 shipped so far)I have done nothing wrong.I just want to know what to do so people can trust "the new guy" here.
thanks,Daniel

Just be patient Daniel you are off to a good start. 4 positive feedbacks is great. I can vouch for you too! :). Also it helps to post and contribute so people get to know you.

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right I have heard the same thing about ppl and that really scares me about using that service! I am a newbie on this site but on other sites I have been on them for years and I still do not use ppl! They will have to change things before I use them to sell and buy things from people. There is a different way to do things. (I am not affiliated with this product at all but it works) it is called square up. I can take a credit card over the phone and it is a few cents more than ppl but the peace of mind is priceless

the simplest way is to use your credit card through paypal, DO NOT link it to a checking account or anything like that. If paypal is being an idiot go through your credit card they want to keep YOU happy so they get your interest payments and they much more weight to throw around if paypal decides to be stubborn.

chestnud

Slice & Dice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar thing happen when I sold a car part. Not coral, but same issue. Sold a set of Brand new Cylinder heads for $1000 that retail for $1399. Buyer filed a claim and paypal refunded the money. So I gave away a free set of heads. Only had it happen once, but sucks.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar thing happen when I sold a car part. Not coral, but same issue. Sold a set of Brand new Cylinder heads for $1000 that retail for $1399. Buyer filed a claim and paypal refunded the money. So I gave away a free set of heads. Only had it happen once, but sucks.

Paypal isnt supposed to refund the buyer unless a return shipment is made. Do you escalate the claim and demand the item be returned?

chestnud

Slice & Dice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happened a while ago (about a year back), he claimed he never received the package, I didn't have signature confirmation and once the package showed "delivered" I tossed the receipt. I had no proof that it made it too him (even though I knew it did). So it was partially my fault, but still can't believe some people are like that, they get a deal and still take advantage of another. But I learned from it and hold onto all of my shipping documents months after the delivery. In saying that I can relate to being ripped off, but have been fortunate not to have it happen from livestock that I was shipping. Now buying coral and not receiving it is a problem I am dealing with now.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back