Warning to others.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad..didn't mean to seem rude..it was meant to inspire some grit! FWIW it's best to research heavily on every decision made before doing it. Raising phosphate to .1 off the jump is risky because who knows what the rock is absorbing and when it will reach saturation...thusly sending phosphates through the roof. I've seen worse tanks turned around and I feel OP can do the same. Master this tank before moving to another tank and going through another cycle and ugly stage is my advice. It's so much closer to being fine than starting over anew!
True enough. It's so easy to get bad advice. Too many people think they know what they're talking about, and don't. Question everything!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High nutrients don’t automatically equal algae but a lack of diversity and grazers paired with high nutrients does. My softy tank is 58 nitrate and the PO4 is off the charts of the checker and maxed out at 0.61 so Idk what it is other then over 0.61.

I have some LPS alive in there and two SPS growing back after I thought I removed them (I guess I left a tiny dot?).. don't even ask me how or why. I removed them for their saftey so it could become a softy tank and they just don't care I guess. Should have left them I guess?

Anywho.. I would manually remove that algae so it doesn't smother your corals. Keep it short so CUC and work on it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also why do you have two accounts? So confused since you stated started 7 months ago but this account is from 2014. Maybe I missed something but this is also the same tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should still get 1.x tds .. i would check your meter against another tds meter.
my guess is your tap is not 70 tds (at least in most of the usa)

TDS meter isn’t any more accurate than our hobby test kits. They have an error of margin. A 0 could really be 2.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS meter isn’t any more accurate than our hobby test kits. They have an error of margin. A 0 could really be 2.
depends on what tds meter you have.. my oakton meter can go to 3 decimal places with a 5 point calibration
Not to mention that a TDS reading does nothing to tell us what chemicals/substances those dissolved solids are. So it's of limited use.
ya thats what icp tests are made for .

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have bought tons of used gear when someone cant keep their tank alive for pennies on the dollar..
cant believe the money some people spend on gear they dont need for a tank with just a few fish and corals.
lack of patience is a huge issue these days
Op is over complicating reefing, I don't have half the gear he has and I have been reefing for 7 years. I manually dose every thing, and test daily I am retired so I have the time.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on what tds meter you have.. my oakton meter can go to 3 decimal places with a 5 point calibration

ya thats what icp tests are made for .

He’s just using an in-line that came with the unit. These do not read 3 decimal places or can be calibrated.

If it’s coming out 0 before the DI then his membrane is fine, we don’t need an exact measurement to know this. Mine comes out 0 or 1 on my in line and when it’s time to change the membrane it will creep up from there.

Last edited:

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number chase is an interesting phenomenon. The idea is to keep nutrients available when sequestered. There are ways to deliver nutrients without having detectable levels in the water column, such as direct feeding solid foods... Available nutrients in the water are available for everything, bad and good alike. Don't give up! Lots of good advice from people who want you to succeed in this thread

Ps. I might also add nothing has been said that requires immediate action from you without vetting first and fully understanding the concept suggested first from concept to implementation and even to maintain

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back