Was about to shutdown tank for Marine Velvet then something happened

reefinaglassbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can keep telling my story for days, but long story short. Devastation happened. Everything was going well for about a month since I added a dozen of fish together in my 300 gallons. Then one day back in Nov 2022 I had to jump on a plane after I got the news my Father passed away. While I was away all fish died except two chromas, though the tank was under my neighbour's supervision (whom I can't blame with zero experience).
Since then I was never able to keep any fish alive for more than 5 to 7 days. Then I realized it's marine velvet and decided to convert my display tank into a quarantine tank. I bought new fishes and started dosing copper. I made sure to keep the copper level to acceptance level for 40 days and then when copper started diminishing fish started dying again. That was a very painful, stressful and expensive journey. Not only copper I used KanaPlex, metroplex , API general cure, Tri Sulpha tablets, etc, etc. time to time
As all my fish were dying due to heavy velvet infestation I thought of giving a last try by keeping the tank without fish for 3 months . I desperately moved all live rocks from main display caught fishes and put them on a kids plastic sandpit and that was the biggest container I had that moment. Next day I found all (4) four of my Anthias dead and rest of the fish condition were worsening. They were more stressed I guess the container was not big enough. I quickly moved to plan B which is to disinfect my entire tank and sump and everything by poring 8 litres of bleach, run system for 24 hours, clean it with fresh tap water, dry it and finally add some saltwater to move those fish back to the display. At this point I did not clean the sump and it had all bleach water sitting on it. And of course my Vectra L2 was turned off from the controller. After moving fish to cleaned / disinfected display and they were still covered with very powdery velvet I decided to start cleaning my sump and while cleaning my sump I spilled lot of water from bucked that tripped my house mains safety switch. At this point there was no power on any equipment in the tank. Disappointed and frustrated I walked till the house main switch and turned on the tripped safety switch and then when I returned to the tank to continue with my cleaning I found Vectra L2 is on and pumping bleach water from my sump to display, which I had to turn off again but this time I unplugged the male power jack from the controller. You can imagine what I was going through. I literally gave up at that point and walked to the fridge at 10:30 AM in the morning to grab a beer. But when I returned to the tank roughly after 20 mins some miracle happened. All my fishes were free of velvet no powder stuff and they seems to be happy and energetic. I offered them food and they went for it straight way. Then I started searching Google and looks like there are some evidence of curing velvet with bleach. I honestly don't know how much bleach I added and what happened but feels like I just got lucky. I'm just sharing my experience here

Velvet killing fish/ watching from work
Velvet killing fish.PNG

Fish in sand pit
Fish in sand pit.jpeg

Tank Shutdown
Tank Shutdown.jpeg

Bleach Blast

Bleach Blast.jpeg

Bleach on sump
Bleach on sump.jpeg

disinfected tank

disinfected tank.jpeg

Happy fish after drenched in bleach
Happy fish after drenched in bleach.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Velvet is a flagellate and 40 years of doing this, I’ve never heard of this but. Neither doubting the relationship between the two.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - I've never heard of that, especially with an unknown dose. 40 years or so ago, I public aquarium I worked for read a paper on using sodium chlorite to cure marine ich (that is a type of bleach). We dosed the 500,000 gallon system, but it killed off the bio filter and the ammonia level shot up. We ended up buying pallets of ammonia remover and adding that to the system over the next few weeks. The ich did go away though.

Jay

OP
OP
R

reefinaglassbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - I've never heard of that, especially with an unknown dose. 40 years or so ago, I public aquarium I worked for read a paper on using sodium chlorite to cure marine ich (that is a type of bleach). We dosed the 500,000 gallon system, but it killed off the bio filter and the ammonia level shot up. We ended up buying pallets of ammonia remover and adding that to the system over the next few weeks. The ich did go away though.

Jay
My tank is now behaving like new. no bacteria and ammonia level is raising. It's a catch 20 situation for me now dosing seachem safe to keep ammonia in control and waiting for the tank to cycle back. Also dosing seachem stability.

Back