Was it really a "Tank Crash" and how did it happen? What does that mean?

Have you ever experienced a "tank crash" and are you sure it was actually a tank crash?

• Yes for sure had a tank crash..

Votes: 126 31.0%
  • I think I had a tank crash..

Votes: 49 12.0%
  • No crashes for me..

Votes: 232 57.0%

• Total voters

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still new to the hobby, and I considered a "crash" any event that ended in the tank being uninhabitable.

It's cool to see the different opinions now though... definitely making me rethink.

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think of "crashed" in terms of a biological issue. But, really, if a heater or chiller malfunctions, which would be mechanical, and your livestock die due to a 95 degree or 50 degree tank, the etiology of the deaths are mechanical, but as organic creatures the deaths are always biological. As I read that over I see that is a dumb thing to say, I mean, if you are hit by a bus or have a massive stroke it is still your body unable to maintain homeostasis that kills you. That was dumb too, but I'm leaving it for laughs.

My sad story: My college roommate and I had 4 tanks in our dorm room senior year, 2 of which were salt. This was 1990, and fish tanks were kind of a thing at our college for some reason, and most of the students had a staff worker feed the tanks over Christmas break. The staff worker I asked did feed my tank, an entire sheet of frozen brine shrimp at one time dumped in. Nothing lived except an extremely healthy bristle worm that was like a foot long. BTW, I blame only myself for this crash, that tank was my responsibility.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I break it down into two types, Coral Crash and Tank Crash.

I consider it a Coral Crash when you have a majority of your corals die off, but the rest of the tank is fine (fish, shrimp, snails, etc.). This happened to me a couple years ago and it SUCKED!

IMO a Tank Crash is when everything dies off, corals, fish, snails. Thankfully, this has never happened to me.

As to what can cause either...so many things unfortunately!
Than mine was a coral invert/ crash lost 90% of corals and inverts. Dino was told to much phosphate and nitrate. Removed all the po4 and was trying with no3. Yep ended up with dino fish where fine everything else was not. Gsp , finger leather survived and shrooms survived.

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is a "tank crash" and what does it mean to you? What justifies using the term? Is it a crash if it was initiated by lack of attention to the tank? Is it chemical? What is it to you?

As a new reefer I see it as a catastrophic event that renders the tank unable to sustain life for any length of time. What causes the "crash" can be biological, mechanical or accidental. It often occurs rapidly. The one important thing that comes to my mind when I think of a crash is: It is an eminent termination of ALL life. Your tank has not crashed if your corals died but the tank could be crashing.

The biology can die. The life Support systems can fail. Your kids can "feed" the fish soap. None the less if left in that state all life will die. The tanks ability to sustain life has crashed.

ok I got my two cents in :). Now I am going to try and keep my QT from totally crashing since I killed the bacteria and the ammonia is spiking on my one lonely molly in it.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two in my 15 years keeping SW tanks both within the last year:
1) last summer we went on vacation came back to find a tripped GFCI outlet after a thunder storm and a completely dead tank. I would guess there was no power for 4 days based on the weather. Every fish coral/ invert was toast and the whole house stunk so bad I cant even begin to describe it.
2) Last week I was siliconing in baffles into my 40B sump and as I was carrying it to the garage to dry I whacked it on the corner of the counter top. Crash no more sump

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one has a car crash it happens suddenly and unsuspectedly> Does it? It happenes fast!
A clogged pump or filter tube may cause a tank crash, heather break down, etc.. Could it be avoided?
Animals may die due to other reasons! Starvation, ilnesses, general tank condition, slow amonia poisening, etc... Is this considdered to be a crash?

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one has a car crash it happens suddenly and unsuspectedly> Does it? It happenes fast!
A clogged pump or filter tube may cause a tank crash, heather break down, etc.. Could it be avoided?
Animals may die due to other reasons! Starvation, ilnesses, general tank condition, slow amonia poisening, etc... Is this considdered to be a crash?

Yeah I'm smellin what you're steppin in. It may just all be in the eye of the beholder... but it makes sense. I guess the same could be told for the slow killer not being noticed until it's too late, then BAM it's all over in a heartbeat?

With that said, i agree mostly. If you have an obvious, slow decline in tank health... I wouldn't consider that a crash per say. But it might make the tank owner feel better to classify it as such.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back