Was shipped a frag with Aiptasia growing on it.

What would you do If a really cool coral you got had aiptasia growing on one side of it

• Total voters

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Leptastea coral from an online vender and on one side of the coral aiptasia is growing and I’m not sure if I should just Cut that part off and keep part of the coral or just not risk it and throw it away.

any advice is helpful

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends how big is the frag. Since there's only one. You can to kill it with kalk or JoeJuice. If you have a big frag. Just cut it offf and call it aday

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just clean the aptasia off and keep the coral myself. Or if you’re really concerned remove the coral from the plug and either add it to a new plug or just glue it to the rockwork in the tank.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being in the hobby for decades, and dealt with Apitasia every conceivable way I do not introduce a frag with Apitasia. If a vendor sends me a frag with Apitasia that is a deal breaker.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can cut off the portion with the aptasia, quarantine the coral and then complain to the shop and never buy from them again. You should also warn others it would earn you major karma points! :)

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a Leptastea coral from an online vender and on one side of the coral aiptasia is growing and I’m not sure if I should just Cut that part off and keep part of the coral or just not risk it and throw it away.

any advice is helpful
If you can't QT that frag I would not put it in my tank. I am biased because I had a big problem with aptasia in my last tank. So can you tell us which online vendor so I can put them on my list please?
you can pm me too.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never allow frag into your system without removing the plug it came on. Or at the very least inspect the plug fully with a magnifying glass, and scrub scrape clean it off as much as you can. I don't care how fire the coral is, it is NOT worth inviting a pest like aiptasia. You will regret it later on.

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a community service to know the vendor. It's not right especially with how invasive aptasia is and the cost to someone's tank I can't even put a price on it. Can you post a picture of the piece? I'm curious if it can be fragged off at all to save the piece.

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15B07FD4-BACC-4DD7-AE91-86BF34B9DD18.jpeg

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m throwing it away because looking detailed at the frag under a magnifying lens I see a few of those pin hole throughout that whole frag and if there is one there might likely be many.

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was WWC, I actually did remove the Frag from the plug with my dremels diamond cutter, I noticed it after I glued it .

when I initially cut the frag I didn’t notice a pin hole through the coral where the aiptasia popped out of.
I'm sorry to hear that... I'm surprised, not surprised that it's WWC they should be more than willing to refund you for the piece. It's tough though they have so many corals move through their facility pests are bound to happen. No more live sales for me for awhile. Also thank you for sharing, let us know if they make it right... if they don't I would take to the forms with you documented response.

reefer333_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m throwing it away because looking detailed at the frag under a magnifying lens I see a few of those pin hole throughout that whole frag and if there is one there might likely be many.

In my opinion, it is a good choice. There is a great chance that there are more babies Aiptasia on the frag.

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was WWC, I actually did remove the Frag from the plug with my dremels diamond cutter, I noticed it after I glued it .

when I initially cut the frag I didn’t notice a pin hole through the coral where the aiptasia popped out of.
I have received a coral with aiptasia from online vender also I chucked the frag and I no longer will by from them

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back