Was shipped a frag with Aiptasia growing on it.

What would you do If a really cool coral you got had aiptasia growing on one side of it

• Total voters

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Leptastea coral from an online vender and on one side of the coral aiptasia is growing and I’m not sure if I should just Cut that part off and keep part of the coral or just not risk it and throw it away.

any advice is helpful
Had same issue, used aiptasia x before I dipped in coral dip. Waited 30 minutes. Dipped it. Problem solved.

Appaloosa1224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one who thinks aiptasia isn't that bad? It's almost a rite of passage for a reefer lol. I've had a couple in most of my tanks but they grow slow enough that they're not a problem. Definitely wouldnt throw away coral just for some aiptasia.

This. So many overreactions in this post. It's easy to kill and no reason to throw a coral away. I have several in my tank right now just doing their thing and not bothering the corals they are near. I'll eventually get around to killing them or getting a peppermint shrimp. Definitely not the end of the world.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope, no bubble algae, flatworm, RB....

Almost every pest my tank ever had came from a LFS or local hobbyist.

You do not have to put up with Apitasia or control them. Not acceptable to me to pass on pest.

In reality some pest do make it through for all vendors, but that piece is not going in my tank.
Say it bro. lol.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove frag and put on new plug and move on. Chances of you getting aiptasia without a FULL quarantine system is nearly 100%. I had aiptasia in my tank with dry rock and 1 fish. It just floated in as a microscopic ****** to start populating my tank. So basically WWC has them as most do. “It’s everywhere”. (Waving my hands like a magician)

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long ago I got a frag w one small one is thought I'd gotten rid of iv done and used every mentioned advice and the battle still continues they are small but everywhere but am useing nudibranch n peppermint shrimp so if I ever win this fight no apastasia allowed but honestly believe once u have them that tank will never b out of the woods so now I'm setting up my corner tank n Bei g much more critical of what goes in. Good luck all

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just started adding corals to our DT in March and quarantine our coral frags for at least a month. At first I would inspect them out of the tank with magnifying glasses. Until I spotted an aiptasia on a frag and realized many pests can be missed once the frag is out of the water. Now I inspect frags both in the tank and out of it.

I spotted an aiptasia on a zoa frag a month or so ago. I used salt crystals to melt the aiptasia. Two weeks later, another aiptasia head showed up on the frag. This time I used salt and then glue. I will leave that frag in QT at least 3 more weeks in hopes I finally got the aiptasia.

Funny thing, the zoa (Rasta, I think) seems completely unfazed about all the messing with it. Other zoas we’ve tried, you stare at them and they melt away.:(

Back