Was the "Mystery Of The Lost Coral" ever solved?

Have you mysteriously lost a coral and then eventually found out what the cause was?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • NO

Votes: 108 59.0%
  • Other (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant say this and not show us the other 2!! :):):)
It is not easy to see the other 2.The first one lives in the top stock tank and the other 2 live in the bottom one.
IMG_3812-M.jpg

But here is one of them. She is pregnant.
IMG_3810-L.jpg

This is the third one when he was in my refugium
IMG_3579-L.jpg

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem's don't engage in chemical warfare. They release stinging cells or engage with direct contact. Some will even form colonies, organize attacks and send out scouts. Not making this up. Carbon would not do anything for that, however there may be a better explanation from the way you describe it. Perhaps some sort of virus or bacterial infection.
What you suggest was my first thought but others convinced me due to the timing and the survival of only the new rainbow anemone. Could a virus/bacterium be so selective that it wiped out a dozen of one type of bubble tip anemone and leave the only one of a kind (rainbow) completely unaffected?

Plus, the frag tank and DT are plumbed together. Those in the frag tank melted away very quickly while the RBTA’s in the DT (further way from the Rainbow BTA) took weeks to perish.

Back