Was the potency of Triton Core7 changed from 2017 to 2019?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I ran Triton...my tank thrived. I loved it. I wasn’t nearly as on my game as I am 2.5 years later, but the tank was very stable then. All the animals seem to enjoy it. I was running the Core7 (original hard plastic bottles 2017).

Surprisingly...this time around things didn’t go so smoothly. The tank suffered from a Trace Element overdose. I noticed the Core7 was very potent this time.

Quick summary of what happened:

Before I initiated Triton..the tank was thriving on BRS 2-part and I was finally starting to see some decent alkalinity consumption and growth (tank was about 5 months old). When I started the Triton Core7 on May 8th, the tank looked like a rainbow within about 4-7 days. I was impressed! I should have realized what was happening at that point, but I didn’t. Well, it all went downhill from there. :-(

Luckily...I took excellent notes of my alkalinity readings/ consumption during the entire event and basically notes of everything. I was able to reflect and finally figured out what had just happened. I started with a dKH of 8.1 and it never went above 8.9 dKH during the entire event. I watched my alkalinity demand steadily decline to almost nothing and corals started to STN and then RTN along the way. Initially, I thought it was a lighting issue combined with low nutrients. It appeared as though the tips were burning. As I reduced the light drastically...the TN never stopped. After racking my brain and speaking with other reefers... I finally opted to perform a large water change. Afterwards, the tips seemed to slow down and quit burning... or at least I thought they were burning. In a few days the TN started yet again. Frustrated...I pulled the Core7 after 23 days on May 31st and did several more water changes. Then I started ESV B-ionic. The tank recovered and I was able to save about 85% of the corals. Most had to be fragged. I lost a very large blueberry Stag colony, a Miyagi Tort, a Oregon Blue Tort, and some others. It was a bummer. I think the starting dose was too strong.

We are told to start with a 2mL per 26.4 gallon dose (2mL per 100L). What if somebody has a 800/G “wall to wall” Acropora dominated reef and another guy has a 40/G Breeder softie reef? How would they both start @ 2mL per 26.4 gallons? They 800/G would likely rapidly consume that dose and probably see a huge Alk swing if not checked daily with dose adjustments and the 40/B would likely be overdosed with Trace. I’m just kinda wondering why Triton doesn’t give stronger warnings or more detailed instructions about this product.

Also, I’m still trying to figure out the potency in relation to BRS, ESV, Aquaforest, Tropic Marin, etc. Most of these I know the potency, but I couldn’t find it for the Core7. I had to guess the best I could (for my current demand). If anybody knows the true potency of the Alk, Cal, and Mag in the Core7 please post up. Although, it wasn’t any of these major elements that caused the issue. It was strictly the trace. So the Trace has to be pretty high in these different parts for this to happen, because as mentioned above, the tank has recovered with ESV which has trace elements as well. Apparently, a lot less potent and safer.

chriso316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I ran Triton...my tank thrived. I loved it. I wasn’t nearly as on my game as I am 2.5 years later, but the tank was very stable then. All the animals seem to enjoy it. I was running the Core7 (original hard plastic bottles 2017).

Surprisingly...this time around things didn’t go so smoothly. The tank suffered from a Trace Element overdose. I noticed the Core7 was very potent this time.

Quick summary of what happened:

Before I initiated Triton..the tank was thriving on BRS 2-part and I was finally starting to see some decent alkalinity consumption and growth (tank was about 5 months old). When I started the Triton Core7 on May 8th, the tank looked like a rainbow within about 4-7 days. I was impressed! I should have realized what was happening at that point, but I didn’t. Well, it all went downhill from there. :-(

Luckily...I took excellent notes of my alkalinity readings/ consumption during the entire event and basically notes of everything. I was able to reflect and finally figured out what had just happened. I started with a dKH of 8.1 and it never went above 8.9 dKH during the entire event. I watched my alkalinity demand steadily decline to almost nothing and corals started to STN and then RTN along the way. Initially, I thought it was a lighting issue combined with low nutrients. It appeared as though the tips were burning. As I reduced the light drastically...the TN never stopped. After racking my brain and speaking with other reefers... I finally opted to perform a large water change. Afterwards, the tips seemed to slow down and quit burning... or at least I thought they were burning. In a few days the TN started yet again. Frustrated...I pulled the Core7 after 23 days on May 31st and did several more water changes. Then I started ESV B-ionic. The tank recovered and I was able to save about 85% of the corals. Most had to be fragged. I lost a very large blueberry Stag colony, a Miyagi Tort, a Oregon Blue Tort, and some others. It was a bummer. I think the starting dose was too strong.

We are told to start with a 2mL per 26.4 gallon dose (2mL per 100L). What if somebody has a 800/G “wall to wall” Acropora dominated reef and another guy has a 40/G Breeder softie reef? How would they both start @ 2mL per 26.4 gallons? They 800/G would likely rapidly consume that dose and probably see a huge Alk swing if not checked daily with dose adjustments and the 40/B would likely be overdosed with Trace. I’m just kinda wondering why Triton doesn’t give stronger warnings or more detailed instructions about this product.

Also, I’m still trying to figure out the potency in relation to BRS, ESV, Aquaforest, Tropic Marin, etc. Most of these I know the potency, but I couldn’t find it for the Core7. I had to guess the best I could (for my current demand). If anybody knows the true potency of the Alk, Cal, and Mag in the Core7 please post up. Although, it wasn’t any of these major elements that caused the issue. It was strictly the trace. So the Trace has to be pretty high in these different parts for this to happen, because as mentioned above, the tank has recovered with ESV which has trace elements as well. Apparently, a lot less potent and safer.
I believe the safer way is to allow your kh to fall over 1-3 days and workout your average daily kh consumption, then use the calculator on the triton website to get a more accurate starting dose.
As for the trace overdose, perhaps you had precipitation which led to overdosing of trace without any measurable data like kh increase?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the safer way is to allow your kh to fall over 1-3 days and workout your average daily kh consumption, then use the calculator on the triton website to get a more accurate starting dose.

I already knew my daily consumption, the potency of BRS 2-part (that I was currently dosing), the potency of ESV, and had a good idea about the potency of Core7. That being said, Core7 was very potent. Maybe twice as strong as ESV. 3-4x stronger than BRS.

As for the trace overdose, perhaps you had precipitation which led to overdosing of trace without any measurable data like kh increase?

This I couldn’t tell you. Wish I knew.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton seems to have stopped responding here a while back but they are still very helpful via email. I've been running Triton for about 2 years now and never seen a change in trace level concentrations FWIW. Did you get an ICP to confirm this was actually the problem?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton seems to have stopped responding here a while back but they are still very helpful via email. I've been running Triton for about 2 years now and never seen a change in trace level concentrations FWIW. Did you get an ICP to confirm this was actually the problem?

Thanks for the info. I did not get ICP because didn’t feel it was needed. My notes were daily while Core7 was being dosed and the tank turned into a rainbow. Nothing else can do that. Only Trace overdose. STN from tips down. As soon as I stopped the Triton and diluted the system with several WC’s the tank recovered and started thriving. So if they did not change the potency, then I got a bad batch.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said initially, the first time I ran it I loved it. I didn’t have any issues.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I confirmed with Ehsan that there was no change to the concentration of Core7 from 2017 to 2019. He also is 100% sure that this issue is not a result of any problem with our products due to TRITON's quality control protocols being very high, if not the highest found in the industry. We are not aware of any other reports of this kind.

It is a real pity that you did not run an ICP test on your aquarium at this time. It would have provided valuable information to learn what was actually happening in the aquarium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why I posted here. Not gonna find the answers I'm looking for. Thank you Julian for at least responding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s posted u just have to look
1 ml raises dkh .1 for aprox 50 gallons of saltwater

Several of us looked about 6 months ago. There were no numbers posted anywhere.

Where did you get this number? I'd like to see an official Triton link please.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Julian, with all due respect I still do not see any numbers for the alkalinity strength in either of those links above. They only tell you how to start the product. @justingraham posted above with "no link" which leads me to believe he doesn't have one either.

I have the numbers for several different 2-parts. Most companies list the strength of their product on their website, on the bottle, or will tell you if asked.

For example:

BRS 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity or 5,300 dKH just like Randy's recipe below.
Randy's DIY recipe #1 is 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity or 5,300 dKH.
ESV is 2800 meq/Liter (7840 dKH)
Tropic Marin ALL-FOR-REEF- 500 mL contains 2,800 carbonate hardness
Tropic Marin Carbo-Calcium- 1,000 mL contains 5,600 carbonate hardness

Triton Marine? Nobody knows. Nobody has posted a legit link for this product.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I confirmed with Ehsan that there was no change to the concentration of Core7 from 2017 to 2019. He also is 100% sure that this issue is not a result of any problem with our products due to TRITON's quality control protocols being very high, if not the highest found in the industry. We are not aware of any other reports of this kind.

It is a real pity that you did not run an ICP test on your aquarium at this time. It would have provided valuable information to learn what was actually happening in the aquarium.

I mean this respectfully so please do not take this the wrong way. It is an honest question. If Triton's quality control protocols are the "highest found in the industry" then please let me understand why this product is now shipped in a low quality milk carton that leaks, is prone to damage, and or contamination?

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why I posted here. Not gonna find the answers I'm looking for. Thank you Julian for at least responding. Last edited: Today at 1:50 AM

With full respect I am not sure why you edited the above post and removed all of your previous statements and questions?

I think that you are right that there are other forums more suited to making complaints against products if you have a legitimate issue.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With full respect I am not sure why you edited the above post and removed all of your previous statements and questions?

I think that you are right that there are other forums more suited to making complaints against products if you have a legitimate issue.

I'm not making a complaint sir. I asked a simple question. I never mentioned other forums. I edited my reply because nobody responded to it.

I'll ask the question again:

What is the strength of your alkalinity component?

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alkalinity strength of Core7 is 19500 dKH / (4 x 1L) set.

This was widely advertised when we initially started selling Core7 and was a large part of our marketing campaign. Core7 still remains the most concentrated inorganic alkalinity solution sold as a professional product on the market.

TRITON is the only company that allows its customers to actually test the inorganic and organic carbonates in all products available on the market with our N-DOC lab test so you can compare and determine if the claims they make are correct.

Here is a video where Ehsan explains how to do this:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several of us looked about 6 months ago. There were no numbers posted anywhere.

Where did you get this number? I'd like to see an official Triton link please.
U posted this at 1:35 am in the wee hours of the morning where I live so I am sorry I did not reply right away but considering I posted an answer on Sunday and it took you a day plus to respond I think I have responded in a timely manner

I’m not searching for a link but there is one out there on R2R
I believe it was between me and Tim at triton talking about it
I had to convert it from liters to gallons as triton doesn’t care about gallons

There is nothing official on tritons website as far as I know but I haven't looked in forever as I don’t need to any more

bringing up problems triton has had in the past (in the past) because no one answered u at 1 am when u wanted an answer after you left the thread for a day plus is no way to get what you want I get it your mad you Tank went downhill fast and you want answers now now now but sometimes when you act on emotions it comes off in an ugly way.

If you followed Tritons directions on how to switch over or watched the Brs video when they switched over your chance of success should be in the 90% range I mean if I switched to a new dosing product I would do it on a Friday night when I can test alk every hour for two plus days to make sure everything stays stable I wouldn’t just blindly dose what the manufacture tells me

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not searching for a link but there is one out there on R2R
I have not seen anything yet. This thread was posted on 08/20/19. If a link comes up for strength of Core7 between now and a future date it will likely be because they recently created one.
There is nothing official on tritons website as far as I know
Yes you are correct. My point exactly.

bringing up problems triton has had in the past (in the past) because no one answered u at 1 am when u wanted an answer after you left the thread for a day plus is no way to get what you want I get it your mad you Tank went downhill fast and you want answers now
Again this thread was posted on 08/20/19. I don’t feel that I’ve rushed rushed rushed as you put it. I originally saved about 85% of the coral, but some of the frags did not make it which brought it down to about 50%. So of course I wanted to know the strength of the Core7 so I could fully understand how it happened so rapidly.

If you followed Tritons directions on how to switch over or watched the Brs video when they switched over your chance of success should be in the 90% range I mean if I switched to a new dosing product I would do it on a Friday night when I can test alk every hour for two plus days to make sure everything stays stable
Please sir...you are assuming things you do not know. I followed the directions as stated initially on the first post. The tank was tested 2x daily when I switched over. When the levels kept rising I immediately adjusted the dose accordingly- yet it was already too late. The only thing that saved the remaining coral was terminating the Core7 dosing and immediately starting ESV B-Ionic while diluting the system via large water changes.

I wouldn’t just blindly dose what the manufacture tells me
Respectfully, you just contradicted yourself sir. You just said if I followed Triton’s recommendations I would have a 90% success rate. Here’s your quote:
“If you followed Tritons directions on how to switch over your chance of success should be in the 90% range” Then you say don’t “blindly dose what the manufacturer tells you.??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to recap what I’ve already said.

I ran Triton in 2017 and had fantastic results. My animals were happy. I think it’s a great product. I’m not here to make Triton look bad, but if I’m telling the truth and that is the outcome I am sorry. Of course I’m a little frustrated because it’s been hard to get an answer, but I don’t want to argue or hurt anybody’s feelings.

When I first ran Core7 It was on a larger system. That could be why I had success in 2017 and possibly why I was unsuccessful this time around.

All I wanted to know was the strength/potency of the Alkalinity component and trace elements if the information was available (because somebody said it was). We already looked and have not found anything yet. This thread has been up for about 3 months and I have not seen any “official” numbers posted.

Knowing these numbers will give me a better understanding of how things went south and also help me in the future. I think it’s smart to ask for them. I do not know if I received a “bad batch” or if the Core7 was simply too strong for my 75/G system despite following the 2mL per 100L (26.4 gallons) starting dose and making the appropriate corrections 2x daily as I saw the levels rising. This was not enough and despite my correction efforts the tank continued to decline. It was just too late. This is why I requested the strength of the product. Only for better understanding.

I’m really sorry if it seems like I’m being demanding. I have the other information from previous 2-parts I’ve tried in the past. I’m just waiting on the numbers for Triton.

BRS 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity or 5,300 dKH just like Randy's recipe below.
Randy's DIY recipe #1 is 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity or 5,300 dKH.
ESV is 2800 meq/Liter (7840 dKH)
Tropic Marin ALL-FOR-REEF- 500 mL contains 2,800 carbonate hardness
Tropic Marin Carbo-Calcium- 1,000 mL contains 5,600 carbonate hardness

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back