Was told these were Copper striped mushroom coral, I want to verify what they are.

PinkSango

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I was told by the person I bought these little mushrooms from that these are "copper striped mushroom" coral, but IDK for sure. I'm totally new to keeping coral.

(These have been since moved to the rocks, I had read keeping them on sand isn't the best idea.)

TIA!

Mushroom Coral 1-22-22.jpeg

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I was told by the person I bought these little mushrooms from that these are "copper striped mushroom" coral, but IDK for sure. I'm totally new to keeping coral.

(These have been since moved to the rocks, I had read keeping them on sand isn't the best idea.)

TIA!

Mushroom Coral 1-22-22.jpeg
There’s so many different names

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dumb trade names are mostly meaningless. Those appear to be discosomas (which are mushrooms, mushrooms technically aren’t corals, evolutionarily they’re sort of between corals and anemones, they are corallimorphs, but for the sake of making things easy, they’re usually referred to as soft corals), can’t tell you the exact species (there are many and many color variations within species). They are hardy and can spread quickly (discosomas are among the fastest growing mushrooms), so place them on an island as they can take over your rockwork (they won’t take over over night). They’re also fairly aggressive and can sting other corals, so give them some room.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dumb trade names are mostly meaningless. Those appear to be discosomas (which are mushrooms, mushrooms technically aren’t corals, evolutionarily they’re sort of between corals and anemones, they are corallimorphs, but for the sake of making things easy, they’re usually referred to as soft corals), can’t tell you the exact species (there are many and many color variations within species). They are hardy and can spread quickly (discosomas are among the fastest growing mushrooms), so place them on an island as they can take over your rockwork (they won’t take over over night). They’re also fairly aggressive and can sting other corals, so give them some room.
Totally agree. And when they get dense enough wherever they are put initially, they will pop out little babies that float around and will spread like that. Had one float to my nem island... now they are pushing the nems off. Never again discosoma. To be fair though it took like 3 years to get to that point...

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushroom coral.dont sting. They spit.out their inside guts and mucus and eat the other alive. No stingy involved. Although I guess it could sting as its happening. Idk. Lol.
D
They absolutely have nematocysts on the edge of the disc and on the tentacles/vesicles. They can also expel their mesenterial filaments which also have nematocysts and digestive enzymes. I have seen plenty of mushrooms kill other corals without expelling their mesenterial filaments (most recently a yuma killed half of a blasto).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back